Dolphin Wedding (not about that Brit lady) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I wasn't trying to justify anything. I thought the OP would be interested in that link. But whatever, keep picking on every little thing if it amuses you.

The link you gave was great! My son was telling me about this this morning, and I was so intrigued. Then I read this thread for the first time, and I was really glad to read more about it.

How about the OP donating all that extra money they would spend on a wedding like this to an organisation that helps save dolphins, like http://savedolphins.defenders.org/si...lphin_homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

plus, I think it's cheesy for a wedding anyway. just my personal opinion.

I think all weddings are cheesy.
#33 Old 05-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with what everyone else has said about not doing it.
#34 Old 05-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

nope, it's actually becoming very popular to "register" for a charity. there's been several articles about it. I'll see if I can find some and link them, but i did read about it in some magazines recently.

I didn't say it wasn't popular, I said it was tacky. And some of the guests will undoubtedly think so, too. Just a heads up -- of course the bride and groom will do whatever seems right to them.

To clarify, I think registries and registering for charities is fine, and not tacky. But I think telling people to donate to a charity instead of giving you a present is rude because a) it means you're assuming they'll give you a present at all, b) it preempts their fun in selecting a gift especially for you, and c) what if they don't support that cause?

I do think it's fine to register for a charity and tell people about it if they ask you if you're registered somewhere. First.

Or just take the cost you were going to spend on the dolphin wedding and donate it to a marine life rescue charity, instead of hitting your guests up for your cause at your wedding.
#35 Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

I didn't say it wasn't popular, I said it was tacky. And some of the guests will undoubtedly think so, too. Just a heads up -- of course the bride and groom will do whatever seems right to them.

To clarify, I think registries and registering for charities is fine, and not tacky. But I think telling people to donate to a charity instead of giving you a present is rude because a) it means you're assuming they'll give you a present at all, b) it preempts their fun in selecting a gift especially for you, and c) what if they don't support that cause?

I do think it's fine to register for a charity and tell people about it if they ask you if you're registered somewhere. First.

Or just take the cost you were going to spend on the dolphin wedding and donate it to a marine life rescue charity, instead of hitting your guests up for your cause at your wedding.

I agree. Popular or not, it is still considered rude as is registering with pampered chef, tiffanies etc. when most of the guests operate on a normal budget. People do it, but it doesn't make it proper.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#36 Old 05-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I think all weddings are cheesy.

That's because love is cheesy. It's what makes love great!

(Soy cheesy for the vegan lovebirds out there.)
#37 Old 05-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

But I think telling people to donate to a charity instead of giving you a present is rude

Nobody suggested that in this thread but thanks for the non sequitur
#38 Old 05-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grain girl View Post

Thanks for your feedback though. I like the idea to request that money be donated to a marine conservation oragnization.. better than some crappy toaster.

You're welcome.
#39 Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

You're welcome.

Nearly all couples make requests about gifts in the form of a registry. Either way, a request is not telling.
#40 Old 05-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

A request is not telling, I agree. It's asking. And asking for gifts, whether they be cash or donations or toasters, is tacky.

Telling people what you'd like, by registering or having a list or whatever, after they ask what to get you is not tacky.
#41 Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

here's what i'm doing. i'm getting married on a beach in Maui. i'm going in February which is right in the middle of "whale watching season". instead of a reception after the ceremony i'm thinking of taking a dinner cruise. odds are really good we'll see whales and dolphins on the cruise. i might do the cruise through http://www.pacificwhale.org/ (thanks for the info jj1). the proceeds of their whalewatching tours go towards marine conservation.

would be far less tacky and way better for the animals in question, but travelling to and staying in Hawaii is pricey, believe me

also, on the note of wedding gift registries... i've also read that depending on how you booked your honeymoon, you can register so that guests can donate money towards your honeymoon instead of buying gifts.

i think it's a neat idea, but i wouldn't register solely with a charity or for the honeymoon, i'd register for some gifts as well, to give people the option of either pitching in money to your cause or trip, or buying you a gift. some people just prefer to give presents

i was considering giving the choice to chip in on our trip, but i think i'll do a charity instead, it seems more classy to me, plus we're ok for the money for the trip anyway. i just have to get hubby to agree on one of my preferred charities lol

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page