What is your highest level of education? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What is your highest level of education?
Some High School 0 0%
High School Diploma 0 0%
Some College/University 0 0%
Associates Degree 0 0%
Bachelors Degree 0 0%
Some Graduate School 0 0%
Masters Degree 0 0%
Doctorate Degree 0 0%
Vocational Training 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Ahimsa, your certifications are really impressive. My mom is also a certified Reiki Master, and I'll be getting my first attunement from her this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

PhD (astronomy).
#63 Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i put 'master's degree' but that's not accurate. I have a 'juris doctorate' which is a 3 year law degree on top of a 5 yr bachelors (with minor). it's kinda it's own thing. most PhD doctorates have a bachelors (4 years), a masters (1-2 years), and a doctorate (2-4 years). MDs and related have a bachelors (4 years) and a doctorate (4 years) and then internships and residencies (2-4 years). I don't have 'as much as' most doctorates, but i do have more than the average 'masters degree' which is one-two years. And, it's focus is different, including research techniques, actually. but whatever.

I also have a number of certifications in yoga and thai yoga massage. i'd like to get the full 'degree' in traditional thai medicine. it takes 4 years of study in thailand--apprenticeship style--and there's no name for the degree, really. they're not called "Doctors of traditional thai medicine" or anything like that. At least, as far as i can tell. Most westerners 'do' the same amount of work by getting various trainings in the US and then spending 3 months to one year in thailand. We're different kinds of students. But even then, i wouldn't have a title and i've only done a little training in TYM. So, that will be a few more years, i think.

so, yeah, that's where i'm at.
#64 Old 05-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Ankle Biter

I have a BS in Finance and Marketing.

Now I'm an artist, and the fit is much better!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#65 Old 05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a bachelor's degree in Spanish. And a food handler's permit.
#66 Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

now that there's a poll, i'm voting "Some College/University," but i would have an AA in transfer studies if i'd bothered to fill out a petition (or in French and Anthropology if i'd taken the required PE, health, and computer literacy classes).

i'll graduate with a BA in Linguistics whenever I'm able to complete the psycholing. requirement.

i don't have a real high school diploma, either. i left high school after getting a California High School Proficiency Exam certificate.
#67 Old 05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

BA in Political Science, with minors in History, English, Honors, and Irish Studies

Masters in City and Regional Planning
#68 Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Ooh, Zoebird - Thai massage = amazing!!

I spent the summer there and every week got the best massage of my life - I'm totally in withdrawal but I can't afford that kind of luxury here hehe. Man I miss Thailand.
#69 Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Im 17 and have my highschool diploma..hoping to go to college soon
#70 Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

Thanks for the info but saying bachelors degree would have covered it.

NOW *that's* being snarky! *SIGH* What's THAT about???

Actually, it would *not* have covered it. Just as other people have listed the certifications that represent the education they have completed and are relevant to their work, I have chosen to do the same.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#71 Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 PM

4th yr in school - workin on a BA in music ed.

grad school next spring, M.M. in orchestral conducting candidate.
#72 Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbanana View Post

Thai massage = amazing!! I spent the summer there and every week got the best massage of my life - I'm totally in withdrawal but I can't afford that kind of luxury here hehe. Man I miss Thailand.

Massage in Thailand will cost you the equivalent of maybe $4 and here it's $125 for a fully licensed, trained and insured Thai Massage Therapist. I am trained in Thai massage and love it but my sweetie who trained in Thailand and is almost 7 feet tall really is the *best* Thai Massage therapist ever When he went to get massage in Thiland all the practitioners joked that he would have to "Pay twice!" because he is so tall

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#73 Old 05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a BA with concentration in Sociology and Social Anthropology. One of the stupidest decisions I've ever made. I had awful grades, couldn't go to grad school (note that it's also a concentration, not a full major), and so far it's only been useful in impressing people who don't know what Sociology and Social Anthropology are.
#74 Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a BSc in Textile Chemistry but I don't use it anymore having been made redundant and not being able to find a job. I have almost 2 years worth of private classical singing lessons under my belt which are not going to get me any kind of qualification but is lots of fun. Learning should be fun!
#75 Old 05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I have a BA with concentration in Sociology and Social Anthropology. One of the stupidest decisions I've ever made. I had awful grades, couldn't go to grad school (note that it's also a concentration, not a full major), and so far it's only been useful in impressing people who don't know what Sociology and Social Anthropology are.

#76 Old 05-01-2006, 11:03 PM

I have my high school diploma and am finishing my freshmen year of college. I'm currently taking an insane class load and working very hard (i'll be taking class during the summer) in order to graduate in three years. Becaue, I don't know why, but I really want to and I think I can. I'm majoring in mass communications.

I'm also a certified (and licensed) yoga instructor. I plan on opening my own yoga studio when I finish college. And, ya know, have money.
#77 Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

sorry you feel that way. but to find an anthropology major. I have a BA in Anthropology and will be going for my Master in Public Anthropology come Fall.

It is fun to say anthropology and watch while people find a way to ask what that is
#78 Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

Masters in Elementary Ed.
#79 Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Banned

>>It is fun to say anthropology and watch while people find a way to ask what that is>>

Sociology is anthropology's evil twin.

ebola
#80 Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthro4veg View Post

sorry you feel that way. but to find an anthropology major. I have a BA in Anthropology and will be going for my Master in Public Anthropology come Fall.

It is fun to say anthropology and watch while people find a way to ask what that is

I have a BA in sociocultural anthropology. I loved it!

I have a lot of people say things like " so, you dig up bones, right?" (nope, that would be an archaologist),

or "Oh! You study dead people?" (nope, that's forensic anthropology),

or "Oh- that's with bugs!" (nope, entymology).

I am planning on taking courses in project management and then getting my MBA.

Or I may go another route and do a Masters in Anthropology and concentrate on food it's relationship to culture and the environment (which is what inspired me to go Veg in the first place).

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#81 Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i dropped out of high school on my 18th birthday....i havent done **** my whole life, and i wasnt about to let myself amount to something .
#82 Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthro4veg View Post

Hm. Is anthropology that unknown to most people?
#83 Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

i love doing thai massage. i'm technically at the 'thai massage practitioner' level as far as the training in the US goes. i hope to complete my 'thai massage therapist' training in the next year. i think i need another 80 or 100 hours. but, around here i charge the same as i do for a yoga private lesson--$90.

but, i also market it as a healing modality rather than a spa-style treatment. since that's what it is.
#84 Old 05-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i love doing thai massage. i'm technically at the 'thai massage practitioner' level as far as the training in the US goes. i hope to complete my 'thai massage therapist' training in the next year. i think i need another 80 or 100 hours. but, around here i charge the same as i do for a yoga private lesson--$90.

but, i also market it as a healing modality rather than a spa-style treatment. since that's what it is.

What is the licensing like where you are at for Massage? Here, you need a minimum of 500 hours, about $300 worth of CEU's annually and also must be Nationally Certified, licensed and insured as a Massage Therapist. My SO a licensed, Nationally Certified Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer and Yoga Instructor who has over 1000 hours in massage, anatomy, kinesiology, Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda etc. in addition to his extensive training in Thailand so his massage is certainly healing and therapeutic;He markets it (and everything else he does) as a healing modality as well and usually has people steam before.

#85 Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

I didn't know you were a licensed Massage Therapist too

What is the licensing like where you are at for Massage? Here, you need a minimum of 500 hours, about $300 worth of CEU's annually and also must be Nationally Certified, licensed and insured as a Massage Therapist.

My SO a licensed, Nationally Certified Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer and Yoga Instructor who has over 1000 hours in massage, anatomy, kinesiology, pathology, Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda, aromatherapy etc. in addition to his extensive training in Thailand so his massage is certainly healing and therapeutic;He markets it (and everything else he does) as a healing modality as well.

#86 Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Officially ABD as of last week!
#87 Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Beginner

BSc (Applied Science), worked as an engineer, hated it, went back to school 15 years later to complete a BA (Honours Translation), now love working as a certified freelance translator. Oh, the freedom of finding something you love to do!!
#88 Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Many people here already know I have a DVM.
#89 Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i put "some grad school".

i have a BA in biochemistry and molecular biology.

i'm just finishing up my fourth year of a phd in biochem/biophysics. i have about 2 more years to go to complete.
#90 Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm not a certified massage therapist. throughout most of the US, you do not have to be a certified massage therapist to be a thai yoga massage therapist and/or practitioner. thai yoga massage is treated similarly to yoga--there is no governance or governing organization. the closest we get to standards are Yoga Alliance--which is an elective registry.

i started practicing thai yoga massage Nov of '03 i think. may have been '02. i can't remember really as i have no concept of time. I did a level one, short form course followed by a correspondence-styled 'internship.' I'm now with a different teacher--for a variety of reasons--and working with Tao Mountain (taomountain.org). they not only do courses and internships, but also extensive home-study courses on different tropics (such as history and tradition of thai medicine).

to be a certified massage therapist in this area, you have to have something like 3000 hours of training--it's practicly a two year degree. i really don't want to take the time and money to do this. There is an alternative method of apprenticeship with a massage therapist over a couple of years--which is more my style--but i'm still not interested in it.

I also did reiki level I, but i disliked it. reiki isn't my deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page