computer help needed for XP - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

does any know of a way to do a restore point before the date that xp has as the last. I installed a cam and since then I have been having problems with crashing. (granted with xp it is not that big of a deal just very annoying)

I did a driver and service pack update after installing the cam and realizing the cam messed up my computer. it was believed if would correct the problem. while doing the service pack updated xp did a restore point. the driver update and service pack did not correct the problem, so I went in a dumped anything I could find that came with the cam. I now only crash sometimes when I load a big game, but I still can not use a cam. because xp did the restore just after midnight on the 1st of July I do not have a previous restore point available. I need something before June 30th..

I also saw I should return BIOS to default, but I have no clue what this is and when I did a system search for it I got about 20 choices.

so if anyone knows anything that may help I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

First of all, its good to know something can wrong with XP and that it is not invincible, nah, just kidding Oneness, it may be nothing to do with XP windows other than it seems your web camera is not being recognized or is not loading properly or something but I could just as well be talking thru my arse really

and I am sorry I can do liittle to help, but that doesn't mean I won't try if only for the fact I too have XP..

The restore points are probably all I could endeavour to comment

on half way intelligently, but actually there use should be quite simple, even tho of course you have the problem of not being

able to restore back to where you desire to be (ie, before the problem started). Anyway, I'll be your XP buddy if you need someone really useless!!
#3 Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnaconda

First of all, its good to know something can wrong with XP and that it is not invincible, nah, just kidding Oneness, it may be nothing to do with XP windows other than it seems your web camera is not being recognized or is not loading properly or something but I could just as well be talking thru my arse really

and I am sorry I can do liittle to help, but that doesn't mean I won't try if only for the fact I too have XP..

The restore points are probably all I could endeavour to comment

on half way intelligently, but actually there use should be quite simple, even tho of course you have the problem of not being

able to restore back to where you desire to be (ie, before the problem started). Anyway, I'll be your XP buddy if you need someone really useless!!

you are awesome, VegAnaconda
#4 Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone help oneness please,

................................................An d ALSO whilst we're about it, lets get some more computer-related threads startedl!!! Computer topics are so neglected in this VB forum.

Any suggestions for some thread titles featuring computerism???
#5 Old 07-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

[use at own risk...]

Offhand there's a few things:

1) uninstall the drivers for the camera (and disconnect it from the computer)

2) search the registry for anything called the cam's name, or original install folder, export the key (just in case) then delete it

3) restart the computer, press F8 (or is it F6?) when it beeps (before the windows loading screen.

This will bring up a menu, (or series...) and you can select "last known configuration". You can do this a few times and go back to before you installed the driver, BUT you will also lose ALL things installed after that that created a restore point.

Oh, and the BIOS defaults... won't really do anything, most BIOS stuff (that's of concern) is re-done at every startup anyway, well, checked to see if it matches, and updates if different.
#6 Old 07-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks JL.. i did remove all of the drivers and such i could find. i will try the F8 (or is F6) thing and see if it will work..

so after doing this can i try to install the camera again or am i just not to have a camera on my computer?

If i have deleted programs since the problem started will those be back when i do a restore point?
#7 Old 07-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and just thought of this... Normally with Windows XP, it's best to buy something that should be compatible, then go to the manufactures website for the patches/updates.

I bought a printer that came with XP drivers... went online, and they said NOT to use the ones in the box, and use the online ones instead.

Have a webcam that the drivers from the company cause the CDRom drives to "unplug" themselves as if USB devices (they're not), but the default XP drivers work fine.
#8 Old 07-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as the other questions... I have no idea. It depends on whether the OS created a restore point or not, and where all they stored stuff.

If it made registry changes (I think, not sure), they'll be back in the registry, albeit not on the computer. Although if they made a restore point, they may exist there too, but only if the cam made changes.

The restore point was really made for a one-time thing I think. Install something, bluescreens, use to get back in. Go back too many times and weird stuff can happen. I had to once when I did 10 driver updates, the first ones crashed, went back too far and lost programs and video drivers.

Good luck! (see last post for the if camera can work, try WinXP default drivers, then the company's website)

Oh:

DISABLE THE VIRUSSCANNER whenever installing software from a CD or doing a driver update (like video drivers, printer, camera, scanner) if you don't that in itself can cause problems!
#9 Old 07-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm i will check and see if there is a warning for my cam or either cam i should say, since i have tried two.

can you explain the driver stuff at the bottom of your last post?

umm i went to device manager to check out if anything was obvious and when i tried to go into the cam one Norton pops up and says a help center file is corrupt as does the printer one, but no others do. i dumped the printer because i have a feeling it is what has actually cause the problem. if there is stuff left behind i am not sure how to find them to get rid of them.

i tried the cam again last night and all was fine; however, this morning the computer crashed again.
#10 Old 07-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Device Drivers (as they are called) are just programs that make things work. Unfortunetely there can be conflicts with drivers when installed alonside another.

[On my PC, the webcam software conflicts with CD-writer software causing the computer to think the CD rom drives are USB, so it "disconnects" them after the webcam or cd-writer software is run - causing the computer to have to be restarted to get it working again.]

You can do this too: re-install the cam's and printer's software, then uninstall it (just to make sure it's gone). Many software companies also provide "manual uninstallation" instructions, go to the websites, and search or contact them. They'll give you EVERY location, filename, registry change that needs to be made/deleted to remove it.

But when you do reinstall the stuff (or install stuff in the future), disable the virusscanner. Sometimes a file can't be copied, deleted, or registered because of it; so that will help with some potential problems.
#11 Old 07-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks JL..
#12 Old 07-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

Did you get it sorted?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page