Five Minutes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

What have been the best five minutes of your life thus far? I'm narrowing down my list of excellent five minutes. If none jump out at you, I spose you could post a list.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

well, there was this guy...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, the best five minutes of my life...thats a tough one! I'd have to say either a wonderful 5 mins on Dec. 8th, 2001, or another great 5 mins was when I received my acceptance letter to U.C. Santa Barbara bc it symbolized the beginning of a time in my life when I would make some very good friends who continue to be some of my best friends even now that we are all so far apart & a time for me to really grow as a person.
#4 Old 01-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Randy,

It only lasted five minutes? Oh, I'm sorry!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 01-27-2003, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

Randy,

It only lasted five minutes? Oh, I'm sorry!

I'm not! I don't think I could have handled any more than that!! it was that good!!!!!

(y'all know I'm just funnin'... )

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 01-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Randy,

Ah, I see, five minutes and you reached your saturation point.

#7 Old 01-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

God that's a hard one, there have been so many wonderful five minutes. I guess I'm going to say it was about twelve years ago when I was vacationing on a little island off of Puerto Rico. My then bf and I were butt naked on a long empty beach. It was just us and a bunch of wild horses grazing near by. I should add that there were bandits lurking around us somewhere because they stole our jeeps battery, but we didn't know that until later.

Anyway, there were these few moments that we played in the waves just large enough to thrash us about, but not big anough to carry us out to sea. I remember laughing so hard ,and in complete bliss as I was hit, and dragged by each wave. I felt so free of anything that keeps me earthbound. If the bandits were watching they probably thought I was a complete idiot.

Another time back in the summer of '97, I went for a fifteen mile run with my friend Pete, then we drove up state to a monastery. We sat in silence on a huge rock in the middle of the woods for eight hours watching the shadows of the trees move across the rock. That was pure bliss. It was eight hours, but it seemed like five minutes.
#8 Old 01-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

another one that is definitely up there for me - when i first saw the great wall of china. i was in complete awe. and to actually be on it - wow. god thing i had a camera because words really cannot describe it.
#9 Old 01-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Saying "I do", this huge kiss my new wife laid on me at the conclusion of my wedding, the final moments of the birth of my son, putting on his first diaper, getting off the plane in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and the first time I saw the Kansas City skyline.
#10 Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkified

i'd have to say that one, however was when kayakman tipped my kayak over (that wasn't a code name for anything, mind you).

"Kayaking" was a euphemism an ex-boyfriend and I used...*cough*

The best fives minutes-es of my life, in no particular order:

- Meeting Ash.

- A bunch of 5-minutes in a row (oooo, I think I'm cheating...) when I was 15 and dating Taylor, and we were on our first date, and we were sooooo innocent and just lying next to each other talking. We didn't even kiss. I really really miss that night...

- To continue with the sappiness, my first (and only ) kiss with Taylor. I was a bit, erm...high...and he wasn't the best kisser, but in retrospect, that was the best kiss I ever had.

- My first airplane takeoff. That was fun!

I can't think of anything else.
#11 Old 01-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thinking I was being nominated for a Rhodes Scholarship.

Bad five minutes: Finding out I was too old to get a Rhodes Scholarship.

Being told my multi-platinum friend would produce and fund my album efforts. Finding a competant drummer and bassist finally.

Getting back into university.

Getting my Multi-IFR pilots license.

Watching my neighbour's kid being born.
#12 Old 01-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

In no particular order:

-Finding out that my ACT scores were high enough to be considered at my now college.

-Finding out that I had been accepted as a Post-Secondary Education student at my college, meaning that I could start college as a high school senior and get that first year free.

Really really bad five minutes (at the time):

-Finding out that my temporary driver's license wasn't valid when I went in to take my driver's test to be fully licensed, fearing that I'd have to wait another six months and potentially have to retake driver's ed.

Totally awesome 5+ minutes:

-Waking up June 17th, 2000, and realizing that the night before I had dedicated my heart, soul, and mind to God, and realizing that I had a future before me like never before.

-Experiencing praise-and-worship later that morning as a new, baby Christian. Everything that I thought was good before that couldn't compare!

-Finding out that there actually is communication research already done on some of my areas of interest, so I don't have to conduct all my own research to find out more.

#13 Old 01-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Banned

The first five minutes I held my neice has been surprisingly memorable over the years.

The five minutes after my last chemotherapy treatment were pretty damn good.

But no doubt, the best five minutes of my life are the next five minutes of my life.
#14 Old 01-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Max,

Ey, yah, good point. The next five minutes. That reminds me of a Steven Curtis Chapman song aptly titled, "The Next Five Minutes". *skylark starts jammin' in her seat to the song playing in her head*

For the benefit of those who aren't mind readers, here are the lyrics to the chorus:

I'm living the next five minutes

Like these are my last five minutes

Cause I know the next five minutes

May be all I have

And after the next five minutes

Turn into the last five minutes

I'm taking the next five minutes

And start it all over again

I'm starting all over again

Gonna start it all over again

#15 Old 01-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

The five minutes after my last chemotherapy treatment were pretty damn good.

But no doubt, the best five minutes of my life are the next five minutes of my life.

Max, gotta say bud, that's one hell of a great attitude in the face of adversity. I honestly do not know if I would have the guts to take it on with that kind of positive attitude.
#16 Old 01-29-2003, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Full 5 minutes.......ehhhh.....

The feeling I remember the most.....ehh that's silly one.

Just a short thrill really, real deep feeling (not its not sex)
#17 Old 01-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

No one else can think of a great 5 mins they've had?
#18 Old 01-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Max said it all.
#19 Old 01-31-2003, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Max, gotta say bud, that's one hell of a great attitude in the face of adversity. I honestly do not know if I would have the guts to take it on with that kind of positive attitude.

Hey thanks, man. The whole episode was amazing. All the romantics aside, living under with the realization that you have less than a 50/50 shot of seeing your next birthday certainly does (or should, at least) change your outlook on life.
#20 Old 01-31-2003, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

And really, none of us know how long we'll make it. We might live 70 more years, or perhaps 2 minutes.

#21 Old 01-31-2003, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Max: 50/50 is just a guess. I would hardly put any faith in that. I'm a firm believer in attitude. The mind is a pretty powerful thing. With medicine advancing all the time, and an attitude like you have, I'd say IT is the one in for the battle.

To quote one Red Green.... "keep your stick on the ice"
#22 Old 01-31-2003, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

<cheese>the best five minutes of my life happens to me every day that my kids hug and kiss me and tell me they love me.</cheese>

<fauxcheese>the best five minutes of my life happened when a sort-of-celebrity that i adore and admire greatly told me that he considers me one of his greatest friends.</fauxcheese>

<stinkycheese>the best five minutes of my life happened when tame told me what he really thinks of me.</stinkycheese>

#23 Old 01-31-2003, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

All the romantics aside, living under with the realization that you have less than a 50/50 shot of seeing your next birthday certainly does (or should, at least) change your outlook on life.

I am with you on this one Max, I have never experienced (nor can I imagine experiencing) anything like you have.

But one night just over a year ago I was coming home from work, just looking forward to making dinner and meeting my girlfriend. The gates of the apartment where I live wouldn't open, so I decided to climb them. I was half way over, I slipped and I was impaled on one of the spikes on the railing. It entered my chest and came less than an inch from my heart, narrowly missing my left lung and spleen. For 3 seconds I thought I was dead. The first thing that came into my head was "****, how will I explain this to my girlfriend....", the next five minutes after I realised I was alive and 'de-impaled' myself were spent living life like it should be - I savoured every second of the time I spent waiting for the ambulance, sitting on a cold, damp footpath in the January rain.
#24 Old 01-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

omg, you guys.

these are scary things i am reading about.
#25 Old 01-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceBoy

I was impaled

WOAH!

I bet that's a hell of a war wound you got now!
#26 Old 01-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I bet that's a hell of a war wound...

Chicks dig scars my man
#27 Old 01-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

So is that why young boys (and not-so-young boys) are so rough-and-tumble? Trying to increase their sex appeal?

#28 Old 01-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

hey chicks can show off their scars and wounds too. i like to impress people with my protruding bone/cyst thing on my wrist. the guys dig it
#29 Old 01-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

*laughs* Go, Funk!

#30 Old 01-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

So is that why young boys (and not-so-young boys) are so rough-and-tumble? Trying to increase their sex appeal?

I was hungry, and just trying to get at me dinner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page