Engagement Party ettiquitte- what kind of gift? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Two of my good friends recently got engaged and are having their engagement party at the end of April. What is an appropriate gift to bring, am I suppose to bring one? I never had an engagement party before my wedding and I don't think I've been to one. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Guests invited to the engagement party are not obligated to bring gifts.

http://www.beau-coup.com/gift_giving_etiquette.htm
#3 Old 03-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a very small brunch for my daughter's engagement party with just the close family members who would have given her a gift anyway, for just that reason. I hate to make people feel like they are obligated to give one and unfortunately, it's pretty much expected that a gift would be in order. I was surprised by the info in the link saying it was not mandatory to bring a gift to an engagement party. It was kind of nice to hear. So, I guess you have the option as to whether or not you want to bring one. If these are really two very good friends, as you suggest and you can afford it, it would probably be a nice gesture!
#4 Old 03-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If it were me, I would bring something along the line of a bottle of wine the same if I attended any party given at someone's home.
#5 Old 03-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

When my cousin got engaged, I gave him and his fiancee a Belgian Waffle maker. I felt it was an appropriate gift; not too cheap, not to expensive. For the actual wedding gift, I scaled it down just a bit; they're both coffee lovers, so I gave them a coffee grinder and a package of fancy-schmancy coffee beans.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 03-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

We didn't have a party for this (and neither did any of my friends), so I don't know from experience. But I would go without a gift. They're already getting gifts for their wedding, and probably the bachelorette party, etc. If you want to give them something, a bottle of wine or some homemade food would be nice.
#7 Old 03-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

I hate engagement parties - isn't a bridal shower and a wedding enough attention for one couple? Seriously, some people just can't get enough gifts out of one event. I've even seen couples send out links to their registry with their engagement party invites. PLEASE.

I went to an engagement party without a gift, I brought a bottle of wine instead.
#8 Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Kind of off topic, but besides wine, are there any other generic all-purpose gifts?
#9 Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Alpaca Guy View Post

Kind of off topic, but besides wine, are there any other generic all-purpose gifts?

Food treats? A live plant? How about a tree (it'll grow for many years, just like their love)? Maybe a photo of the happy occasion (run down the street to the digital photo kiosk and get an 8x10 printed out, stick it in a frame, et voilÃ*! instant gift!)

Maybe I'm a big stick-in-the-mud, but I'm not too thrilled with attending 3 or 4 gift-giving parties for every baby born, couple wed, etc. But to each his/her own I guess!
#10 Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, almost all of my friends are broke/struggling so it's not expected to bring something extravagent or fancy. We're all pretty much in the same financial bracket for gift giving Maybe I'll do the wine and a nice set of wine glasses. Thanks!

Oh, and I should also mention, I was asked to make a vegan cake for the party and wedding too, they love my desserts! Cool, huh?!
#11 Old 03-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Tres' cool!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page