Oh god oh god.... 7 weeks of free donuts and cookies... HELP ME!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Ok, here's the deal - I'm a chemical engineer and I design process control systems. For the next 7 weeks, we will be having customers visiting us for something called FAT.... it actually is an acronym for functional application testing, but the name is more appropriate for other reasons....

During FAT, in order to keep our customers happy and in a constant sugar-induced coma (they complain less that way), the entire area where I work will be covered in the morning with : donuts, delicious scones, bagels, tarts and the like... and after lunch, for break, with brownies, cake, cookies, chocolates and other confections.....

I DO NOT want to gain 10 pounds in 7 weeks!!!!

At home, I practice a pretty good system - I just don't buy junk food! But because I have eliminated it from my daily exposure, now that I am subjected to it 9 hours a day, I am finding my ability to resist these disgusting foods is rather diminished!! Out of sight out of mind doesn't work when I can't control what's in my sight!!

Remind me about the evil trans-fats and all the crappy nastiness that is in that food so I will resist!!! :-) Give me willpower!!!!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Try going vegan for the next 2 months. I'm sure virtually all of those items have non-vegan ingredients. OK, so maybe not bagels, but then having a bagel in the morning might not be so bad. Do you possibly have an office you can go in and shut the door so you don't have to see/smell it? I guess that's too much to hope for, eh?

As far as the breakfast-y foods go, I try to make sure I always have my own food available-- if it's something perishable that has to be eaten that day, so much the better, because then I basically have to throw away my delicious food from home in order to have the junk.

My technique for avoiding sweets in the afternoon is similar-- I keep my own super yummy vegan chocolate on hand and allow myself a piece every day. But that one piece is my treat for the afternoon-- I can't have cookies etc because I already had my chocolate. But this doesn't work for a lot people.
#3 Old 02-27-2006, 06:52 PM

Sad to say this is what the drug reps brought us everyday in the doctors office. I could resisit donuts, but sometimes not the cookies. It got gotta old to me. I used to just try to ignore it and focus, but darn hard. Yeah, I am good help.

Trans fats are of the devil...
#4 Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

My technique for avoiding sweets in the afternoon is similar-- I keep my own super yummy vegan chocolate on hand and allow myself a piece every day. But that one piece is my treat for the afternoon-- I can't have cookies etc because I already had my chocolate. But this doesn't work for a lot people.

I think that's a good idea. I always make sure I have some kind of vegan snack when I'm at work, so when the non-vegan snack temptation arises, I can tell myself I have something vegan to snack on and I don't have to have the evil stuff.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 02-27-2006, 08:07 PM

I would not have a problem resisiting those temptations...

But I would keep vegan cookies handy when im hungry.. or eat something that will keep you feeling full. Just remind yourself that eating those will only add numbers to the scale.
#6 Old 02-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Banned

Haha, I'm not vegan so its not a matter of having vegan VERSIONS of unhealthy foods.... I'm more trying not to eat these empty calories at all. I've been working a ton of overtime and it leaves me with little to no time for exercise, so I'm burning fewer calories in a day than I normally would - so I can't keep eating as much as I normally do. Add to that the free cookie variable and that's a recipe for weight gain... which I'd like to avoid since I'll need to be in a bikini again in a few months... ;-)

I'm bringing some extra good-for-me snacks today like strawberries and a nectarine, lets see if I can resist the brownies this afternoon.... chocolate is my DOWNFALL.... I just need some cheerleading to motivate me I think ;-)
#7 Old 02-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh goodness.... You can do it! You're better than me. I think that's the main reason I've gained weight... there is always junk food at work. Cookie stores donate bag loads of cookies to us and much it works it's way up to the area I work out of. I can resist most snacks, but cookies are my weakness.
#8 Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't be able to resist. I admire those with the willpower.
#9 Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

I resisted the donuts this morning!!! lets see if I can make it past the brownies this afternoon... did I mention they usually have chocolate frosting on them.....
#10 Old 02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I heard that your coworker sneezed all over them.
#11 Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

Ooooh that's a good idea... the OCD over germs angle.... ;-) I actually resisted them all day!! I thought about nothing but the brownies all afternoon, but I didn't eat them!!! :-)
#12 Old 02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

can you try baking a fairly healthy but still sweet snack and taking one piece for yourself every day? Chocolate cake w/ no eggs, apple sauce for oil, part ww flour, etc. wouldn't be too bad for your diet.
#13 Old 02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooo that reminds me of the holiday season when I used to work in an office. I didn't realize how much I munched on when people brought in food but I moved upstate and stopped working (school) and lost 15 lbs. HAH! I have no good advice. Fortunately, at my internship now the food the teachers and folk bring in generally looks really really gross so I don't have a problem avoiding it!! (Also people reaching their hands in all day with gross school germ hands -- I refuse to touch my face or eat anything until I've washed my hands at internship... actually maybe thats an angle you could think about.. people's ick hands picking through it all day!!)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page