Middle Aged Members???? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#61 Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Impeach the gangster

Speaking of life-crises, about 1979 I met silent film actress Mary MacLaren, who told me that every person, in their life, goes through three crises: at ages 27, 56 and 72. I've no idea where she got this information, so I'm curious: has anyone else ever heard about this? Maybe it's part of a religious cult or something?

Miss MacLaren- age 83. This pic (not mine) was taken on the porch of the rooming house we shared. Since talking to her, I've passed though age 56 and had no particular problem.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 41 and I'm loving it. The only time I was upset about my age was when I turned 17 because I thought being an adult the next year would be too hard. Little did I know that being an adult is cake compared to being a teenager.
#63 Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

^ Time is a ******* ^ (thought this would be under the picture)
#64 Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

what exactly is middle age? I am 37 and I am loving it.....I look alot younger and people cant believe how old I really am and that makes me.

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#65 Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

What exactly constitutes middle aged nowadays? I think I may have passed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

If one looks at average longevity and splits average life time into statistical pentiles it would be something like
0-15.4 Childhood
15.4-30.8 Young adulthood
30.8-46.2 Middle aged
46.2-61.6 Mature
61.6-77 Old
>77 Oldest of the Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

what exactly is middle age? I am 37 and I am loving it.....I look alot younger and people cant believe how old I really am and that makes me.

peace

Yep, looks like you made it to middle aged!
#66 Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Ira
Banned

i will be middle aged in about a year
#67 Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to be 34 in a couple months. I already keep forgetting how old I am.
Every time somebody asks my age I have to take a minute to remember.
#68 Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't like the breakdown. I would make it something like this:

0-15.4 Childhood
30.8-46.2 Middle aged - I prefer 46 - 60
46.2-61.6 Mature - I prefer 61 - 72
61.6-77 Old - I prefer 73 - 89
>77 Oldest of the Old - I prefer 90+ = awesome

I would throw in an adult group and put the 31 - 45 in there. I have nothing to base this on. I just made it up.
#69 Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I am going to be 34 in a couple months. I already keep forgetting how old I am.
Every time somebody asks my age I have to take a minute to remember.

Don't fret...just tell yourself that karenlovessnow has a daughter older than you...that will make you feel better!!
#70 Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

0-15.4 Childhood

I would throw in an adult group and put the 31 - 45 in there. I have nothing to base this on. I just made it up.

your parameters are a lot more sensible, and are what most people I know would agree with. :]
#71 Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 44 and don't really feel middle aged, although some minor age realated health issues are starting to appear.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#72 Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Ira
Banned

Quote:

0-15.4 Childhood

well actually, most seem to agree with you. i went to see definitions online

Quote:

According to Collins Dictionary, this is "... usually considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60". The Oxford English Dictionary gives a similar definition but with a later start point "... the period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65". The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54, while prominent social scientist, Erik Erikson, sees it ending a little later and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65.

Quote:
Definition of MIDDLE AGE

: the period of life from about 45 to about 64

so there is still time for most here

and also that previous breakdown misses the teenage years
#73 Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I like that definition better. I'm young middle aged instead of old middle aged, lol.
#74 Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

As life expectancy increases, by definition, middle age becomes later and later. People now under 30, will most likely live beyond 100, so middle age for them would be over 50.
#75 Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Ira
Banned

i also read that the way most define middle age isn't so much on accurate "middle age" but on a psychological stage of a person, this is why it may go as long as up to 65
#76 Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

As life expectancy increases, by definition, middle age becomes later and later. People now under 30, will most likely live beyond 100, so middle age for them would be over 50.

I thought life expectancy was trending downward or expected to due to the obesity problems in western culture?
#77 Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you are correct, but I have faith in future scientific breakthroughs. We'll have to wait and see, of course.
#78 Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

37 - looks like I make the cut! My mom likes to tell me that I am middle aged. I like to remind her that her children are middle aged.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#79 Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Soon to be 51
#80 Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

Soon to be 51

So if you reverse the numbers in your username, one gets your age.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#81 Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

So if you reverse the numbers in your username, one gets your age.

Indeed! I didn't even notice that. Fifteen is also happens to be part of my birth date.
#82 Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I consider middle-age to be past 35. I'm going to be 36 in March soooo....
#83 Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I consider middle-age to be past 35. I'm going to be 36 in March soooo....

Eh, I thought you were younger.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#84 Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard many definitions of 'middle age' beginning as early as 35 and ending as late as 65. Generally it describes the period between young adulthood and old age so I suppose anything in the middle is appropriate, although it remains somewhat subjective depending on the age of the observer. I myself just turned 49 this month so there's little doubt that I am middle aged. Oddly, I never thought of myself as getting old until I passed the 45 mark. It seems like nowadays your early forties are nothing more than an extension of your thirties and are pretty effortless to get through. But once I realized that I was closer to 50 than to 40... it all started to sink in.
#85 Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Oryzatarian

For those who dont want to be "middle aged" yet one really imaginative definition I can think of could be defended by science. A few years back I read two books on modern aging science. In them I was surprised to find that some modern theories hold that people do not 'age' in a scientific sense until the age of 16-18, prior to that they 'grow' and stave off accumulation of senescent traits (aging) by biological design. Biological immortality may vanish soon after a cell begins dividing but the term 'aging' could be reserved for degenerative phases of life.
Thus- if aging starts after, say, 16.. and people can conceivably live to 122.. the half way mark between those is 69. So people within several years of that could still defensibly call themselves middle aged.

Then again if you want to be unpopular with the fairer sex, one could argue women living in a community dynamic become biologically invisible after menopause (because they are no longer part of the continuation of the species) so middle aged would be 20-30. Be ready to duck if you say that.

Over all I think all-encompassing definitions are nothing more than a way to amuse oneself. Whats middle age for an actual living individual depends on that individual and how they live their life. I've known people that rode themselves so hard their health was showing rapid deterioration by their mid-to-late 20's while others kept up good habits and were still in good health and filled with stamina and adaptability at 50.
With health and vigor in your pocket, definitions of phrases shouldnt worry one too much.
#86 Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

For those who dont want to be "middle aged" yet one really imaginative definition I can think of could be defended by science. A few years back I read two books on modern aging science. In them I was surprised to find that some modern theories hold that people do not 'age' in a scientific sense until the age of 16-18, prior to that they 'grow' and stave off accumulation of senescent traits (aging) by biological design. Biological immortality may vanish soon after a cell begins dividing but the term 'aging' could be reserved for degenerative phases of life.
Thus- if aging starts after, say, 16.. and people can conceivably live to 122.. the half way mark between those is 69. So people within several years of that could still defensibly call themselves middle aged.

Then again if you want to be unpopular with the fairer sex, one could argue women living in a community dynamic become biologically invisible after menopause (because they are no longer part of the continuation of the species) so middle aged would be 20-30. Be ready to duck if you say that.

Over all I think all-encompassing definitions are nothing more than a way to amuse oneself. Whats middle age for an actual living individual depends on that individual and how they live their life. I've known people that rode themselves so hard their health was showing rapid deterioration by their mid-to-late 20's while others kept up good habits and were still in good health and filled with stamina and adaptability at 50.
With health and vigor in your pocket, definitions of phrases shouldnt worry one too much.

The only issue I take with the whole thing is the fact that this makes me way too close to reaching the finish line of mature and rounding the corner to old!! I would love to be middle aged!
#87 Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say you've reached middle age when your body ability to repair itself and fend off conditions starts to noticeably diminish.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#88 Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm happy with being the age I am right now. Be it considered middle age or not.
#89 Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I like that definition better. I'm young middle aged instead of old middle aged, lol.

Not necessarily. We may see it level out or actually decline. That depends on if the public gets their act together about diet and exercising. We are raising fat lazy children that by the time they are teenagers are in the beginning stages of heart disease and have adult onset diabetes. I found out today a guy I went to high school...a good guy, grandfather...died in his lounge chair at home...he was obese. Another guy I went to highschool with died of heart disease this year as well....he was a high school athelete, but was a fat slob in his 40's.

All the "scientific breakthroughs" are going to revolve around helping these fat lazy slobs extend their fat lazy ways when we all know the answer is simple....."eat more plants and move". End of rant. Thanks for listening.
#90 Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Every now and then I bump up this thread. Just because.

55 and loving life (not necessarily loving growing older..25 is much better, but in great health and feeling good about it). Most likely one of the oldest people here.

Middle agers in the group need to represent! Anyone? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2842.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	4401  

Last edited by Tweety; 09-07-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page