best hair care products - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I am obsessed with my hair. Not really, but I want to grow it out.

I was thinking Aveda products- they seem expensive and smell REALLY good, but are they good for your hair? I tried Aubrey Organics conditioner, and that smells good but doesn't seem really DEEP enough. I have dry ends...and oily roots. And I am on a budget, but I'm curious about high budget picks too.

So, tell me all about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Aussie products, I'm not sure if they're vegan but they work very well. They also have a shampoo/conditioner that's called duel personality I believe, it's for oily roots and dry ends (I have the same problem) and it works great.
#3 Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

<<<<----- Is really cheap and hair obsessed, my favorite products

Aloe gel, the clear unscented kind

Shea butter and olive oil

VO5 conditioners

Good quality hair toys (scrunchies or hair hosiery for braids, etc. hair sticks for buns)

Longhaircommunity.com has lots of good advice
#4 Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using Nature's Gate and it seems to be working well for me You can buy it in bulk at health food stores... it's $4 a pound or something? I'm not sure what kind of budget you're on though.
#5 Old 01-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Regarding my budget, I don't want to spend more than 6-8$ on a single product. I'm also trying to stay stocked with healthy food and water, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
#6 Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 PM

Here is a list but not sure if they are all vegan friendly though..

Redkin, Sebastian, KMS, Farouke, Back to Basics, Wella, Logics, Abba, Texture, Biosilk, Vavoom (good for fine hair) Grahm Webb, Charles Werthington, Big Sexy Hair. This was just from the top of my head though. Of course the obvious Biolage, Nexxus, and Aveda is great. Ice is a newer one. (I think)

These are more of the expenisive ones though. Okay now Therma Silk I do like a little.

Pourosity Control is a good brand if you have a Sally's Supply around you. If you do, you can find some good ones there also. I think it is made by Roux and they do have some other good products. An awsome deep conditioner is called K-Pack by Joico. How could I forget them. They have a great line also.
#7 Old 01-16-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

Regarding my budget, I don't want to spend more than 6-8$ on a single product. I'm also trying to stay stocked with healthy food and water, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Oops, I just posted this list before I saw your post. I am thinking they are more than 8 bucks.
#8 Old 01-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Tigi. I absolutely love Tigi products. And they're animal friendly.
#9 Old 01-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been growing my hair out for 2 years now.. a few more inches and it'll be waist-lenght!! . My hair is in the best shape of its life and my routine is: Trader Joe's NourishSpa shampoo & conditioner ($2.99 a bottle, all organic) and Giovanni Vitapro Fusion leave-in conditioner (also all organic), which is a little pricey, about $7 a bottle but it's worth every penny. Also, I don't mess with my hair.. no blow drying, or hairspray or anything. I've definitely noticed a dramatic improvement in my hair's health after I stopped drying and styling it.
#10 Old 01-16-2006, 11:17 PM

I so wish I had a Trader Joe's near me!
#11 Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Banned

The "MOP" (Modern Organic Products) line.

mopproducts.com/

#12 Old 01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone.

I have stopped blowdrying, but I still do my little bang/hairline area- otherwise it gets a wierd collick.
#13 Old 01-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

... My hair is in the best shape of its life and my routine is: Trader Joe's NourishSpa shampoo & conditioner ($2.99 a bottle, all organic) ...

I just bought some of that last night! So far, so good. It left my hair nice and soft. Seemed like the perfect amount of conditioner for me.

Rainbowmoon, I think we share the same hair genetics. I also struggle with the oily roots, dry ends, and stubborn cowlick. My bangs will never lay straight without the life being blown out of them first.
#14 Old 01-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that sounds exactly like my hair! I have an insane cowlick at the front of my hairline- if I don't blow it then its like WOOOSH like a big cresent at the top of my head.

Does Trader Joe's have a website?!
#15 Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Baby Love

They do have a website, but last I checked you can't order from it. It pretty much serves the purpose of finding the location of the closest store.

www.traderjoes.com
#16 Old 01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Aloe and a bobby pin takes care of my cowlick (it pushes the hair on the front of my part to the side no matter where I part my hair, I hate hate hate it) anyway, I part my hair after its most of the way dry and use aloe and a bobby pin to fix it where I want, then when my hair finishes drying I brush the aloe out so it doesn't look all gely and it stays until I wash my hair again (typically about 3-4 days, when ever my ends get dry)
#17 Old 01-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

They would really clean up if they had a website. The nearest store is at least two hours away from me.
#18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

that is a good idea, beloved tree.
#19 Old 05-18-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

Yeah, I am obsessed with my hair. Not really, but I want to grow it out.

I was thinking Aveda products- they seem expensive and smell REALLY good, but are they good for your hair? I tried Aubrey Organics conditioner, and that smells good but doesn't seem really DEEP enough. I have dry ends...and oily roots. And I am on a budget, but I'm curious about high budget picks too.

So, tell me all about it.

I'd recommend Lush for hair care.

I've heard good things about Kiss My Face and Aveda hair products.

Several companies listed in this thread test their ingredients on animals. Back to Basics for example, they don't test the finished product on animals but they test/buy ingredients tested on animals. Don't rely on "No Animal testing" labels alone. There are no regulations for such labels. Email companies you're unsure of. Ask them if they test their products or ingredients on animals.

Caringconsumer.com has a list of companies that are cruelty-free and/or vegan.
#20 Old 05-18-2006, 03:22 AM

I'd recommend Lush for hair care.

Several companies listed in this thread test their ingredients on animals. Back to Basics for example, they don't test the finished product on animals but they test/buy ingredients tested on animals. Don't rely on "No Animal testing" labels alone. There are no regulations for such labels. Email companies you're unsure of. Ask them if they test their products or ingredients on animals.

Caringconsumer.com has a list of companies that are cruelty-free and/or vegan.
#21 Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

I so wish I had a Trader Joe's near me!

Wish I had her (Katt Fink's) hair!
#22 Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

Here is a list but not sure if they are all vegan friendly though..

Redkin, Sebastian, KMS, Farouke, Back to Basics, Wella, Logics, Abba, Texture, Biosilk, Vavoom (good for fine hair) Grahm Webb, Charles Werthington, Big Sexy Hair. This was just from the top of my head though. Of course the obvious Biolage, Nexxus, and Aveda is great. Ice is a newer one. (I think)

These are more of the expenisive ones though. Okay now Therma Silk I do like a little.

Pourosity Control is a good brand if you have a Sally's Supply around you. If you do, you can find some good ones there also. I think it is made by Roux and they do have some other good products. An awsome deep conditioner is called K-Pack by Joico. How could I forget them. They have a great line also.

About the vegan-ness of two of the brands/products listed...

BioSilk products actually contain hydrolyzed silk and some contain honey. Thermasilk also contains real silk protein.

[rant]Do we really need to harm silkworms for our hair?!?!?![/rant]
#23 Old 05-18-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

[rant]Do we really need to harm silkworms for our hair?!?!?![/rant]

No way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page