Is it bad to lie to a child about "Santa"? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 12-11-2005, 03:29 AM

Look Mg, here is a cold one for you.

Please let it go. I said in not so many words that when you do have kids, your heart may soften. People change, that is all. If that is your belief and you stick to it, than that is awsome.

But people can change their beliefs, once they have children. Your heart will soften and you will be into your children, not yourself. I just do not like when people say what they would do, or not do. It changes! I did the same thing, and wham whole new story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 12-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

This can be a really good thing, all of this stuff coming out. Back in the "olden days" things were done a certain way and you tended to just follow along. Those of you who don't have kids are lucky that there are forums like this one where this stuff can be brought up and discussed ahead of time, so you can have a different plan of action if you choose to. Those of us in my age bracket didn't have the tools that are available now to discuss all of these great topics. Things are so much more out in the open now. So a lot of the time we did things the way our parents did them, not knowing there might be another way. See, it's all good!
#93 Old 12-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Actually, it did have to do with the thread, since goettling and ilovemydragon were pulling the "you're-not-a-parent-you-wouldn't-understand-when-you-are-a-parent-you-will-agree-with-me" card.

It's a mantra for folks who can't find a better argument. I'd only buy that argument if it was said about something parents all agree on. Never seen that happen...

Riiiiiiight. Bull**** like "presenting something untrue (Santa, chimney, presents, etc etc) as fact is a lie." That's really bull****.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I made a statement and it was GENERAL. I did not direct it to anyone or anyone else's opinion. Who are YOU to twist it around to your own favor so you can get your jollies off trying to cause problems that are not even really there? You really need to check your anger at the door.

ETA: Who here is REALLY looking for an argument? I assure you, it is not I.
#94 Old 12-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Banned

...Well I told my parents today that there is no Santa Claus. They took it pretty well.

It took me an hour to get them to calm down. ...And right after I did, my mom asked, "...And the Easter Bunny?"

...It's going to be a long day.
#95 Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

...Well I told my parents today that there is no Santa Claus. They took it pretty well.

It took me an hour to get them to calm down. ...And right after I did, my mom asked, "...And the Easter Bunny?"

...It's going to be a long day.

I can't believe you are taking the magic away
#96 Old 12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

When I found out Santa was a lie, my world collapsed around me. Now, 26 years later I am compelled to shoot every Santa I come in contact with in the crotch with a paintball. It's heartbreaking.
#97 Old 12-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

When I found out Santa was a lie, my world collapsed around me. Now, 26 years later I am compelled to shoot every Santa I come in contact with in the crotch with a paintball. It's heartbreaking.

lol for what ever reason this reminds me of a local news story i heard the other day. In one of the local malls a guy wearing a santa suit pulled his pants down three times in plain view. Fortunately he was wearing sweat pants underneath. He was arrested after third time. Don't know what the kids thought of that.
#98 Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

#99 Old 12-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

lol for what ever reason this reminds me of a local news story i heard the other day. In one of the local malls a guy wearing a santa suit pulled his pants down three times in plain view. Fortunately he was wearing sweat pants underneath. He was arrested after third time. Don't know what the kids thought of that.

Hopefully most kids know that the Santas that are at stores/malls are not the real Santa
#100 Old 12-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Riiiiiiight. Bull**** like "presenting something untrue (Santa, chimney, presents, etc etc) as fact is a lie." That's really bull****.

I lie to my kids all the time. No biggie to me.
#101 Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents never 'lied' to me or my sisters about it. They played along, and if we asked if he really existed, they answered with non-conmittal answers like 'what do you think?' When we were little, we answered, 'we believe he exists' and went on with what we were doing. When we grew older, the answer became 'I don't know', or 'he can't exist'. I felt proud that I discovered the 'adult' secret about santa all by myself, without being told, and never felt anything collapsing like some people mention. I'm very glad I was never lied to, so I feel that my parents aproach to the situation is a very good one.
#102 Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Hopefully most kids know that the Santas that are at stores/malls are not the real Santa

Will the real santa please stand up!
#103 Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

Will the real santa please stand up!

LOL..He'd be nuts to show up here.
#104 Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

I don't believe in Santa. I never was taught to, and never taught it to my children or students, but I will tell you like I told my students.

Kids, I never got a present from Santa. Of course it might have had something to do with me being a naughty little girl. If you see Santa tho', you tell him I've been good and I really need a new car.
#105 Old 12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

I can't believe you are taking the magic away

...Yeah, well they got to learn some time.
#106 Old 12-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

I love Santa, I think its a great myth, and I don't know of a single child who is "scarred" or badly damaged from finding out that Santa is not real. I can remember asking my parents, I think I was about 8 or 9, if Santa was real. They asked me, "Well, what do you think?" and I said "No, I don't think so." My parents told me that Santa wasn't real, but that his spirit is real and something we can all believe in, and I understood that. When my sister was born that next spring, I got to 'relive' the Santa myth with her, and it was a lot of fun. I personally think its totally harmless and a lot of fun.

Thats almost exactly what happened with me. My little brother learned much earlier than I did that Santa was a myth, and hes a very well adjusted individual.
#107 Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

I don't believe in Santa. I never was taught to, and never taught it to my children or students, but I will tell you like I told my students.

Kids, I never got a present from Santa. Of course it might have had something to do with me being a naughty little girl. If you see Santa tho', you tell him I've been good and I really need a new car.

I am on it Life2k. I just need Santa to pay my car off.
#108 Old 12-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm with the whole "prefer not to deceive your children" camp. my husband isn't. i didn't have the easter bunny or the tooth fairy growing up, but i had santa for a few years til i found out the truth and boy was i pissed. i just don't see the point of lying to your kids for a few years. why not just tell them the myth of santa without telling them he actually exists? that seems like a win-win. i don't know. all i know is hubby doesn't agree so that's going to get really sticky when we have kids.
#109 Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I knew for a year before my dad finally told me. We were wrapping presents and my dad just asked,"Do you know the truth about Santa?" I said yes. There was uncomfortable silence until Dad said,"So, do you know about sex too?"
#110 Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 PM

My mom never pretended he was real and I never asked. I knew she and my family were where all the gifts came from cause I went shopping for gifts w/ them for fricken sakes! Didn't take a genius to figure out that all those Santa's in the malls were not "real". My mom says I just always knew the dude wasn't real and couldn't careless. At another forum site I am apart of for mommies I asked a question just the other day "Are you going to pretend Santa exists" and typed a little blurb about how I wasn't brought up to think Santa existed and do not plan to make my child think he does either and was surprised at what a controversial subject it was! Someone actually said it's cruel to not pretend he exists! And that EVERYONE associates Christmas w/ Santa. The other repliers made comments at how magical Xmas was because of Santa as if a child not raised to believe he exists has a less magical association to Christmas. After reading all the posts it was pretty clear that the notion of Santa is for the parents and not really for their children though most parents would not be able to see that fact. I loved knowing my family (mainly my mom) bought me all those great gifts taking the time to find them and wrap them etc... I have very fond memories of Christmas as a child-early teen and none of it had a darned thing to do w/ Santa. Wasn't overwhelming in the slightest (nor do I understand why or how it could be) to know it was my mom (and other family members) who bought the gifts opposed to some overweight dude in red velvet that hangs out on a throne in malls and has random children sit on him and then sneaks in my house at night and leaves me gifts. The whole idea was always absurd to me. I like the idea of mommy and daddy being the gift givers oh so much better and much more meaningful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page