May be moving east!! Need some advice. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have decided I hate living in Texas for SO many reasons. I want to live further north and further east. The 2 schools I'm looking at transferring to are University of Maryland in College Park, and UConn, in Storrs/Mansfield (I think). Are any of you from these areas? What's the culture like? What is there to do besides go to school? Anybody go to these schools? It looks to me like any of them would be decent for physical therapy, but I'm also interested women's studies, possibly as a double major or minor. Any advice you could give me would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

should this be in a different forum?

anyway, i'm originally from CT but i didn't go to UCONN, altho most people from my highschool did.

i would say texas and CT couldn't be more different! my best friend is from TX and she came to school in boston and would agree with me.

i love new england but poeple may be less friendly than you're used to.

anyway, storrs is a total college town. so, there is always stuff to do on campus and there are restaurants and movies and such but, it is in the middle of nowhere, basically. it's also a pretty big party school, and very focused around sports.

and yes, AFAIK, uconn is great for PT.

i don't know anything about the other school, sorry.
#3 Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Generalizing ALL of New England is a tad off base. People in Maine are differant from those in CT and people in MASS are differant then those in RI...some are friendly, some are not..just like everywhere else.
#4 Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Generalizing ALL of New England is a tad off base. People in Maine are differant from those in CT and people in MASS are differant then those in RI...some are friendly, some are not..just like everywhere else.

really? poeple are individuals? no way!

i was just trying to give the OP a general impression of what she might expect to find if she chooses to go to uconn, since that was what she seemed to be asking for.

i apologize sincerely if i offended you.
#5 Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

really? poeple are individuals? no way!

i was just trying to give the OP a general impression of what she might expect to find if she chooses to go to uconn, since that was what she seemed to be asking for.

i apologize sincerely if i offended you.

No offense. I just was thinking that you were referring to All of New England. : )
#6 Old 11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, we've heard from Storrs, so I'll give you a little info about College Park. Please note that this comes from someone who has never gone to school there, so I can't vouch for campus life.

College Park does not have a smalltown college feel, but there are many social opportunities very close by. You can easily hop a metro close to campus and be in downtown Washington, DC in 20 minutes. Baltimore is a 30 minute drive, and Annapolis is another fun city that's fairly easy to get to. It's also a reasonable trip to the mountains and the beach (although you could say the same for Storrs).

One nice thing is that the DC area is very veg-friendly. There are several veg restaurants and many veg-friendly restaurants in or within 10 minutes from College Park. An organic market is right in that town, and there is a Whole Foods about 15 minutes away.

The downside about College Park would be that it is not cheap to live in the DC area.
#7 Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I am from Maryland and am living there now. College Park is deffinatly not a "small college town." It is however a good school and there is a lot to do in the area. From teh campus it is about a 1 mile walk to the DC metro station and from there you can go MANY places in DC. There is a lot to do inside the city of DC as well as just outside of the beltway. You can easily get to many nice national parks within and hour and several within 30 minutes.

The Bay is absolutly beautyfull and anyone that lives near it is bound to fall in love with it.

If you want a "small college town" type feel and a good university in the east check out Virginia Tech. I will admit that i am bias considering that I just graduated. It is located in southwest Virginia and it is a fairly large school in the middle of nowhere. The good thing about this is that an entire community has sprung up around the college. Within 30 minutes you can be having breakfest at the Vegan restraunt downtown(which is really about 4 blocks square) and then be within Jefferson National Forest. If you love hiking and everything outdoors this is a university that you must check out.
#8 Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister visited UCONN, I did not. Sorry I'm not much help.
#9 Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Moved to the Patch

<<pictures VBers screaming at their computers "Maryland!" "Connecticut!" heh

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the advice!! My husband and I are trying to figure out where we'd be happiest. We're also kind of considering UNC, but not sure about that one yet. We need to find out more about cost of living vs. teacher's salary (he's a middle school teacher). We're going to Maryland the last week in December to visit my best friend, so I'm going to check out the campus there. I think we'll plan a trip in Feb. to Connecticut. I'm getting really excited!!
#11 Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post

Thanks for all the advice!! My husband and I are trying to figure out where we'd be happiest. We're also kind of considering UNC, but not sure about that one yet. We need to find out more about cost of living vs. teacher's salary (he's a middle school teacher). We're going to Maryland the last week in December to visit my best friend, so I'm going to check out the campus there. I think we'll plan a trip in Feb. to Connecticut. I'm getting really excited!!

ooo...february in CT. you'll get a real taste of northeast life. heh.

anyway, CT has a fairly hight cost of living but teachers are also paid well there. would you also be working at all? i think it would be tough to live on one salary.

and yeah, i wasn't trying to make new england sound bad or UN-friendly before. i think it would have been more accurate to say poeple are not as outgoing friendly or friendly in the same way. altho, in college people are generally more friendly.
#12 Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends where you live in CT. I live in the most "expensive" area but if I drove 30 minutes upstate, the cost of living is much lower. The closer you are to NYC, the more $$ you are going to spend.
#13 Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

it also depends on what you deem a "hight cost of living". since i'm poor, almost all of ct has a high cost of living. granted, i live in boston, which also has a high cost of living.

but coming from tx, ct numbers are gonna almost certainly seem higher than you're used to.
#14 Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

ooo...february in CT. you'll get a real taste of northeast life. heh.

anyway, CT has a fairly hight cost of living but teachers are also paid well there. would you also be working at all? i think it would be tough to live on one salary.

and yeah, i wasn't trying to make new england sound bad or UN-friendly before. i think it would have been more accurate to say poeple are not as outgoing friendly or friendly in the same way. altho, in college people are generally more friendly.

That's another good question...I have an insurance license in all states that require one, which means I'm able to work for national insurance companies. The problem is, I'm a student...I'm able to work at USAA part time and make plenty of money, but I'm not sure what major companies are in the Harford or Baltimore area, or which ones will offer me a part time position. Anybody know by any chance?

And, yeah, people in Texas are really friendly, but it's fake friendly. Like the people who are all "hi, hon" to me but looking at my dreads like I'm some kind of psycho. The kind who wouldn't dare insult you to your face, but talk serious trash about you to everyone else. (I grew up in small town, texas...i'm a little bitter...)So, I'd rather people be icy with me than fake nice.
#15 Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

There are tons of Insurance groups in Hartford. Metlife, The Hartford Insurance group, Allstate etc.
#16 Old 11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

There are tons of Insurance groups in Hartford. Metlife, The Hartford Insurance group, Allstate etc.

Travelers, Cigna, Aetna
#17 Old 11-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Ahhh sweet connecticut. I live in west hartford connecticut and it happens to be like organic food USA. We have whole foods, wild oats, trader joes, and there is a new organic pharmacy type store coming to west hartford center. The people in west hartford arent the greatest, but the people in other parts of the state seem to be alot friendlyer than here. But the culture of connecticut is amazingly diverse. In the northern part of the state we have farm lands and lakes and stuff. Central state we have uhhmmm..like hartford, shopping areas, avon mountain, citys and stuff like that. The southern part of the state is the coast which is generally the wealthier area, i dont go down there often. The possibilitys in CT are endless. From west hartford everything you could imagine is within 15 minutes driving distance (malls, shopping plazas, clubs, grocery stores, everryythinggggg) and the city is like 3 minutes away. But yeah you wont get bored here, there is alot of stuff to do, and im only 14 so half of the opportunies arent (leagaly) open for me i'd say ct is a good choice, and Uconn is suppose to be a great school AND a great hospital in farmington (I think its in farmington) Good luck,

~Sara
#18 Old 11-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post

I have decided I hate living in Texas for SO many reasons. I want to live further north and further east. The 2 schools I'm looking at transferring to are University of Maryland in College Park, and UConn, in Storrs/Mansfield (I think). Are any of you from these areas? What's the culture like? What is there to do besides go to school? Anybody go to these schools? It looks to me like any of them would be decent for physical therapy, but I'm also interested women's studies, possibly as a double major or minor. Any advice you could give me would be awesome!

As someone who has moved from the North (PA/NY) to the mid-South (Tennessee), let me tell you that I think the climate (particularly in CT, dunno about Maryland) can be a bit brutal, particularly if you are not used to it. I'd suggest getting prepared to dress in layers of clothing to keep warm. Get yourself a pair of "long johns." Get shoes or boots where you can wear two pairs of sox and yet be comfortable. Get gloves and scarves. Get decent hats that are warm and waterproof. Get some good, warm waterproof coats. Get waterproof footwear. Get a good umbrella that won't fall apart in the wind. Maybe try visiting these schools in the wintertime and see how other students dress. Maybe start looking through some catalogs like Land's End, REI, etc., for sports or outdoor-type clothing.

Put another way, save up for more of a clothing allowance to get these things than you may have planned.

At many schools, there are issues concerning crime on campus. There also may be "Town vs. Gown" friction. So maybe more relevant to your inquiry is the "sub-culture" of the school vs. the "sub-culture" of the surrounding town or city. I think this can be hard to assess in advance of being on campus, since the schools will of course try to paint an idyllic picture on these issues.

If these schools have campus newspapers, perhaps subscribe to them for awhile before making your decision.
#19 Old 11-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Oh yeah the winter in CT this year is suppose to be especially harsh...the worst we've had in a longgggg time. You may want to wait untill late spring to come so you can figure out your way around before freezing in 5+ feet of snow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page