Holiday Traffic?? Aargh!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

So we decided we wanted Panera for lunch today. The nearest Panera is at Memorial City Mall, a popular mall on the west side of town that sits right on the I-10 corridor, one of the most heavily congested freeways in Houston. We fought traffic all the way there due to construction on I-10 (widening project!), and the mall parking lot was an absolute madhouse, the worst I've ever seen. You would have thought it was three days before Christmas from the frenzy and the christmas music. Luckily, you don't have to enter the mall proper to get to Panera, since it opens to the outside, but I imagine the smells and sounds of Christmas were choking inside. What is this insanity? I mean, it's not even Thanksgiving yet, people!

I am busily resolving at this very moment that all my christmas gifts this year should be homemade.

BTW: Has anyone ever heard of going to church for Thanksgiving? We passed a church on the way home with a banner up advertising their Thanksgiving service. Too weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate traffic!

Love the Holidays. I do think they start way to early with the Christmas stuff.

My church has a special Thanksgiving Day mass. It's not a holy day of obligation, but some people like to go as a way to say thanks.
#3 Old 11-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Just got back from Best Buy, things are definitely picking up.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 11-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I know a possible big reason why more people are out: low gas prices. When they were really high, the roads around Houston had much lighter traffic on them. I had to go out today (not on the freeways, luckily!) yet drivers were really being the worst they could be (airheaded, rocket-starts, an extreme lack of consideration and patience...I mean how much time do you "lose" to wait for someone to get out a parking space versus zooming around them even as they are still backing up?! Yes, this happened to me today...)

So, I will be happy when fuel costs are at least fifty-cents higher again; keep the crazies off the roads a little more often than now
#5 Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Man, I work at the mall. It's a 15 minute drive TOPS (non-highway) to get there normally, but during the holidays I leave at least an hour before I have to be in because it takes that long to finally get into the parking lot and then find a parking space.

And yeah, I really wish people would tone it down a bit with the shoving of holidays down throats WEEKS before it's even close enough to pretend it's the holidays. The decorations at the mall I work were up a week before Halloween. They started playing the music last week. I hate it, by the time xmas actually gets here, I'm sick of it! Bah, humbug

#6 Old 11-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

And yeah, I really wish people would tone it down a bit with the shoving of holidays down throats WEEKS before it's even close enough to pretend it's the holidays. The decorations at the mall I work were up a week before Halloween. They started playing the music last week. I hate it, by the time xmas actually gets here, I'm sick of it! Bah, humbug

O...M...G! You canNOT be serious! Well, who am I kidding, I think my local drugstore had all the Christmas merchandise out about that early, too. I love the holiday season in theory, but I totally hear you on the bah humbug part.
#7 Old 11-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in one of the city's major retail areas in between two malls and I could tell last week that the traffic was increasing. I had to pick up something at the mall this past Friday and it was a zoo!! I may try to go and get some gifts during the week to avoid some of the crowds. The Old Navy store was playing Christmas music on Nov. 1, literally the day after Halloween.
#8 Old 11-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

Man, I work at the mall. It's a 15 minute drive TOPS (non-highway) to get there normally, but during the holidays I leave at least an hour before I have to be in because it takes that long to finally get into the parking lot and then find a parking space.

this is exactly my situation, same driving time, etc.

this is gonna be my second christmas and i'm not excited at all

i hate the doddamn mall !
#9 Old 11-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

EEK! MALLS! Stay away!!!!!!!!!
#10 Old 11-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate mall/mall traffic. It is nuts, even when I'm not going to the mall, ALL the roads seem like insanely busy if you even go near that way.
#11 Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM

ugh as much as i like panera, i despise the mall! eeeeekkkkkk!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page