Does anyone dread Thanksgiving coming up - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM

Oh I do. Sad to see October go so fast. Just thinking this today. I have had the worst Thanksgiving's by my side of the family and my husband's being the only veg*n in this darn city, it seems like.

2 years ago, my husbands Grandma thought I was crazy for not eating turkey. Made a huge seen about what was on my plate to some of my husbands family, that I first met.

My family, just thinks I am crazy and some "new age" person for not eating meat. Than there is that whole thing of pleasing both sides of the family.

Thanksgiving is worse for me than Christmas. I hate the whole meaning behind Thanksgiving anyway.

I rather just stay home, cook for me, and watch football and avoid the whole thing. My husband would not go for that at all.

Maybe I should buy a t-shirt that says vegans rule, drink a 5th of jack, and then speak my mind when they give me crap again at the table about not eating turkey. Just jokin, but not a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I say don't wear the shirt, but do bring the 5th of Jack Personally what I do is I try to make some of the dinner(the veg part), bring some, or remind the people before you go that you are vegetarian. When they see you piling yummy food on your plate, they'll be less inclined to ***** about stuff, rather then if you sat there eating barely anything. I also like to heat up a fake chicken patty, so it looks all thanksgiving-ish and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. And tastes good! Just try to focus on how yummy your food is, and ignore everything else. Don't let negative things bring ya down, just try to focus on the positive!
#3 Old 11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Ankle Biter

I feel the same way! It has become a holiday of excessive excess. I dread having to sit at a table with a carcass in front of me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#4 Old 11-01-2005, 08:43 PM

For some crazy thing in both sides of my family, no one ever says anything about what I eat at Christmas at all. But darn, that turkey just has to be the big topic at Thanksgiving.
#5 Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank goodness Thanksgiving isn't big in Australia.
#6 Old 11-01-2005, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn again veg View Post

Thank goodness Thanksgiving isn't big in Australia.

So that explains your personality now!

Maybe I should visit there for a day.
#7 Old 11-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

So that explains your personality now!

Maybe I should visit there for a day.

Even my phsychiatrist cannot explian my personality.

My court order made me attend a phsyciatrist due to my violent temper.

He asked me why I got violent & I leant over the table grabbed him by the lapels & replied

"because people keep asking me questions"...

Now refuses to see me anymore.
#8 Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn again veg View Post

Even my phsychiatrist cannot explian my personality.

My court order made me attend a phsyciatrist due to my violent temper.

He asked me why I got violent & I leant over the table grabbed him by the lapels & replied

"because people keep asking me questions"...

Now refuses to see me anymore.

You are on a role tonight. I have been sick all day, doing cold medicine drugs, and thank you for the laugh.

Now play with your dog.
#9 Old 11-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm actually looking forward to thanksgiving, but not for the standard "festive holiday" reasons. i hated thanksgiving LONG before i became vegetarian
#10 Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I am usually "anti-holiday" but Thanksgiving I don't really mind. Halloween and Thanksgiving are the ones I don't mind.
#11 Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually dread Thanksgiving and Christmas both, but this year it isn't that bad. (At least not yet. )

First off, my Mom and I have been putting our heads together to come up with a few special dishes for me (well, everyone can have some but they won't) and I think she's wanting me to help her in the cooking. Not the dead stuff, but the other dishes, as well as the salad and relish tray, etc.

I always like to be present when a big meal is being made, so I can be assured that my food has nothing in it and that there is no cross-contamination going on (same knives, spoons, etc. being used for meat and veggies).

Second, my father has moved away to Arkansas, which means that my sister and I only have to do one big meal instead of two in one day. And no driving all over the place. It will be a huge relief as opposed to the past 20 years of having to eat, drive, eat, drive, etc.

Plus, I have the day off and that means I can nap out after I eat if I want- a luxury that I haven't ever been afforded for as long as I remember.
#12 Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm suffering from a little dread...

I'm going to a dinner w/ my bf that his friends are holding just with friends a few weeks before thanksgiving. I'm a little dready there, but don't think they'll be paying too much attention to me or what I am or am not eating, and I plan on bringing a dish that could be a main dish for me so I can eat that.

Then he invited me to go home with him for TG, but we've not been together too long, I've only met his parents once for a few minutes, and I feel uncomfortable imposing my dietary restrictions on other people who don't really know me. (I have no problems making my own family comply!) This I'm dreading a bit more.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm spending thanksgiving with two vegans, another vegetarian, and my mom who is vegan-friendly

<< lucky
#14 Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 PM

Well, I always bring a dish no matter were I go. I am just sick of the comments, though. I wish both sides of my family could understand how I feel, but no getting through their head, even if they ask.

It is just a pain with my family and maybe I should grow a thicker skin, and let it roll off of my back.

Hard to do though, when you are the minority in this situation.

I just envy people here that have a family support about their lifestyle. You guys are very lucky. I feel like that lonely turkey about to get killed for this holiday.
#15 Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

you could always see if a friend or two wanted to start a new thanksgiving with you. Or just do t'giving with you and your husband.

You don't have to do holidays with family just because it's the social norm. I guess it is a choice between doing what makes you happy, regardless of what others think, and doing what makes you miserable to please others.

The latter gets old quickly.
#16 Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

you could always see if a friend or two wanted to start a new thanksgiving with you. Or just do t'giving with you and your husband.

You don't have to do holidays with family just because it's the social norm. I guess it is a choice between doing what makes you happy, regardless of what others think, and doing what makes you miserable to please others.

The latter gets old quickly.

I would love to start an own tradition in my family, but my husband and my family still wants us both there. One year I skiped out on Thanksgiving with my family and they felt very hurt and did not understand why I did not want to be there.

But the thing is my husband would want to be with his family.

I am just stuck in a rock and a hard place every year when it comes to this.

But thank you anyway.
#17 Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not dreading it this year, since my family won't be doing anything this year! It's the year that we should be going up to my parents house (4 hours away), but since my sis-in-law will be a full 9 months pregnant at the time, we're gonna skip it, and my parents will just be getting back from a month in Mexico that same week, so wouldn't want to come down. It's all working out good. Usually I wouldn't dread it, but since trying to go vegan this year, I think it would be a lot worse. So I'm glad. Of course then there is Christmas to deal with...
#18 Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't dread it at all, even though there are plenty of foods at Thanksgiving I won't eat. I try to have a good time with my relatives and catching up with people, enjoy a nice break from school, and not worry too much about what I'm eating. This also went for me when I was vegan- but I am lucky in the sense that my family always respected my dietary choices.
#19 Old 11-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would love to start an own tradition in my family, but my husband and my family still wants us both there. One year I skiped out on Thanksgiving with my family and they felt very hurt and did not understand why I did not want to be there.

But the thing is my husband would want to be with his family.

I am just stuck in a rock and a hard place every year when it comes to this.

But thank you anyway.

Well then I guess it is one of those times where you can choose your mindset. You can choose to be sad about something that you cannot really control (your family eating dead animals), or you can choose to overlook their decisions that you disagree with, and enjoy the time that you spend with them.

There is a great book out there ... damn, I forget what it is called, that is about the power of choice. It basically states that you control your state of mind and happiness based on the choices that you make. You can choose to be miserable, or you can choose to focus on the things in your life that make you happy and overlook the things out of your control that you dislike.

not to lecture you or anything I know that I am lucky when it comes to holidays (my brother & his g/f are vegan, and the rest of my extended family is very accommodating & respectful of vegetarianism) but there are other areas of my life in which I have only recently made decisions that were long overdue, decisions that were focused on my needs and no one else's.
#20 Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Well then I guess it is one of those times where you can choose your mindset. You can choose to be sad about something that you cannot really control (your family eating dead animals), or you can choose to overlook their decisions that you disagree with, and enjoy the time that you spend with them.

There is a great book out there ... damn, I forget what it is called, that is about the power of choice. It basically states that you control your state of mind and happiness based on the choices that you make. You can choose to be miserable, or you can choose to focus on the things in your life that make you happy and overlook the things out of your control that you dislike.

not to lecture you or anything I know that I am lucky when it comes to holidays (my brother & his g/f are vegan, and the rest of my extended family is very accommodating & respectful of vegetarianism) but there are other areas of my life in which I have only recently made decisions that were long overdue, decisions that were focused on my needs and no one else's.

Thank you, I understand what you are trying to say. My family just sucks though,lol. I know, be who I am and be proud to be me, and let no one bring me down for my life choices.
#21 Old 11-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm spending thanksgiving with two vegans, another vegetarian, and my mom who is vegan-friendly

<< lucky

I am spending thanksgiving with two vegans, another vegetarian, and a mom who is vegan friendly. What a coincidence!
#22 Old 11-01-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I am spending thanksgiving with two vegans, another vegetarian, and a mom who is vegan friendly. What a coincidence!

I am so jealous. Can I be with you guys, lol?
#23 Old 11-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Banned

Bah, thanksgiving was 3 weeks ago
#24 Old 11-02-2005, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

Bah, thanksgiving was 3 weeks ago

You darn Canadian people. lol.
#25 Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking forward to it!!

I'm hosting a veg*n potluck (I've hosted it semi-regularly for the last several years)for all my veg and veg friendly friends who don't have the whole family thing going on for them here, or who want to escape the family event and just hang out. We sit down for dinner at 2:00, say a blessing, express our gratitude that no animals had to die for us to celebrate our friendship. People come and go throughout the day, as it suits their itineraries.

And we don't have to stare at the picked-apart carcass. I hate that the most, all picked apart, bones with flesh attached...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#26 Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I'm looking forward to it!!

I'm hosting a veg*n potluck (I've hosted it semi-regularly for the last several years)for all my veg and veg friendly friends who don't have the whole family thing going on for them here, or who want to escape the family event and just hang out. We sit down for dinner at 2:00, say a blessing, express our gratitude that no animals had to die for us to celebrate our friendship. People come and go throughout the day, as it suits their itineraries.

And we don't have to stare at the picked-apart carcass. I hate that the most, all picked apart, bones with flesh attached...

I can not decide on who's house I am going too. LOL.
#27 Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:

I can not decide on who's house I am going too. LOL.

Oregon in late november vs Hawaii in late november...

hmmmmm
#28 Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking forward to it, except for the expense. Going to Madeleine Bistro for Thanksgiving. One of the advantages to having no family anywhere near, and not having enough money to travel back to where they all live just to watch them carve up a turkey.
#29 Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Oregon in late november vs Hawaii in late november...

hmmmmm

hmmmmm, not sure what you are trying to say.
#30 Old 11-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

He's saying he's gonna ditch cold, rainy Oregon, and come to warm, rainy Hawaii for Tofu Day!

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page