Brush with Fame - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you know or have you met anyone famous?

All my brushes with fame have been second hand. When I lived in Michigan, I worked with Uncle Cracker's (a.k.a. Matt) mom. It was just before his first album hit big, she had a photocopy of his advance check from the record company on the wall of her cubicle.

When my best friend was in nanny school, she talked on the phone with Tom Cruise and Nichole Kidman, and Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. Both couples were looking for nannies at the time, and they called the school she was at to interview potential candidates. She said that Bruce and Demi were super flaky, but Tom and Nicole were very nice and smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2003, 12:14 AM

*raises hand* I used to watch the Real World, and it was Real World New Orleans... You know that blonde guy Matt? He goes to my church. Good God that boy is hot. I hugged him the other day... Oh baby. And uh... www.supafly.com is his website.

I met the band Finch at a concert last September. They're really cool. You can tell they're getting used to the meeting fans thing.

I met the Phoenix Suns about 10 years ago. hahaha. They were hanging out at Dan Marjlie's (sp?) restaurant. It was the good team, too. Charles Barkley, Oliver Miller, KJ, etc.... That was back in the day...
#3 Old 06-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes. It's a long list. Living and working in Hollywood can be fun sometimes. You get over the "coolness" of it fairly quick, but it's nice to be near the center of it all. I almost had the chance to work with Susan Sarandon tonight at an ECO fundraiser in Burbank, but the guy they thought was going to fall through came through instead, so the back-up guy (me) wasn't needed.

Susan Sarandon rules.
#4 Old 06-19-2003, 12:18 AM

Oh yeah.. Matt Smith dresses funny. He says it makes people happy.. And it does!!! You should see him! hehehe
#5 Old 06-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Bah, you Hollywood actor types don't count. :P

Once you get famous, you can be on my "brush with fame" list.
#6 Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Sure we count, but you make a good point. You can all say you knew me when, and how many vegan celebrities can you say that about?
#7 Old 06-19-2003, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It's like Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#8 Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been within 10 feet of John Astin, Chris Rock, Ed Harris, Rick Neilsen (Cheap Trick), Philip Glass, and Yoko Ono.
#9 Old 06-19-2003, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

my aunt works in film in toronto. they filmed Finding Forrester there and the one and only Sean Connery was around all the time between filming. he was super cool and would go get his own food off the buffet and sit and eat with the crew and clean up after himself. he was really laid back and just very normal. she said once she started talking to him she forgot he was famous, he's just a genuinely nice guy.

my mom is still mad at her though cause at the end he offered to give her some autographed photos and she said no thanks. my mom flipped out cause she loves him and was all like "what about MEEEEEEE???"

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#10 Old 06-19-2003, 01:03 AM

I say Adam Gregory (teen Country Star, Canadian) last week at my BF's kid's school, surrounded by grade 3 girls screaming at him.
#11 Old 06-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ceryna

It's like Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon!

Ah, yes, and I would have met him tonight, too. He's the star of the ECO event tonight. They're playing one of his movies in each AMC's 14 theatres at this multiplex in Burbank. To think, I could have been connected to just about everyone through him after tonight.

Now I'm really bummed I didn't get to go...
#12 Old 06-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I've played polo many times with Tommy Lee Jones (very, very strange guy), as well as Stephanie Powers and Bill Duvane. I sold a horse to Pamela Sue Martin (Dynasty) and Rita Mae Brown.

I was picked out of the audience to sing with Barry Manilow!

http://www.barrynet.com/bn341997a.shtml

(scroll down to Nov. San Antonio)

I dated John Bradley (The New Adventures Of Robin Hood) for quite a while when he was attending Cornell Law School. Super guy - we still catch up with one another every once in a while:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Palace/1629/

I hung around a little bit with actor Richard Tyson and his friends when we were both at Cornell:

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/5063/
#13 Old 06-19-2003, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, my claim to fame...

I was a summer nanny/babysitter to the drummer "little billy" from Good Charlotte. So funny now to have pics of him at 8 years old and to think of where he is now.

Damn, I'm old.
#14 Old 06-19-2003, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I met a bunch of hockey players including: Ed Belfour, Gary Valk, Jason Blake, Rob Blake, ZIggy Palffy, and Miroslav Satan.

I met Joan Jett once.....

and John Dolmayan from System of a Down.

also, Trent Reznor, Marilyn Manson, and Fieldy from Korn....

baseball player: Jim Edmunds, Kirby Puckett, Greg Maddux and John SMoltz....

thats all I think...
#15 Old 06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

My babysitter became the supermodel Kristin McMenamy. She's not really around anymore, but I remember hearing them talk about her on Joan Rivers, VH-1, and seeing her in a huge spread in Bazaar and on the cover of Time.

I also have a cousin who was in the movie "Philadelphia" with Tom Hanks and in Estee Lauder or Lancome commercials (can't remember which).
#16 Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw Elvis just the other day at Longs Drugs. He didn't say much and left quite quickly... I run into him all the time though!

Some time ago I talked to Dubya on the phone. Well it was his recorded voice (he asked for my support and vote), but it was a mesmerizing experience nevertheless!
#17 Old 06-19-2003, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

I saw Elvis just the other day at Longs Drugs. He didn't say much and left quite quickly... I run into him all the time though!

Some time ago I talked to Dubya on the phone. Well it was his recorded voice (he asked for my support and vote), but it was a mesmerizing experience nevertheless!

...LOL

Sure it was a recording? :-X
#18 Old 06-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I met Mickey Mouse, and Daisy Duck, and a bunch of other Disney characters once.....it's crazy...they all hang out at this magic kingdom.....
#19 Old 06-19-2003, 09:29 AM

DUUDE.. I met GOOFY, The BEAST, and PLUTO!!!

I'm a lucky girl...
#20 Old 06-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, Goofy
#21 Old 06-19-2003, 12:34 PM

I worked at a high-end flower shop in NYC for a few years and met quite a few celebrities. David Bowie, Cher, Paul McCartney, Matthew Brodrick, (I swear he was hitting on me), Puff Daddy, and a bunch of others. We did alot of parties, including those for HBO, so I met alot of people that way. I was the only English speaking American to work there, so it was my job to coordinate and represent the company. It was fun, but I never really felt star struck, most of them were a PITA, but then again I never met Joaquin Phoenix. Oh and how could I forget, I met Brad Pitt too!! He's very odd and like talking to a blank screen. But who cares, he looks good. I also had the president of a modeling company, who shall remain nameless, ask me directly if I'd like to be his concubine (he didn't put it quite so gentlemanly as that though). I'm glad to be away from that whole scene. People who are overindulged are generally less interesting as a whole.
#22 Old 06-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Meeting the Pooh Bear charcters was the best!
#23 Old 06-19-2003, 01:16 PM

Okay ... I can't believe I forgot about this until just now. I met Jimmy Buffet back in like 1980. He was stoned ... and very nice. My brother-in-law played in the warm-up band and one of the guitarists for the warm-up band (who was also like family) was actually playing with Buffet, so that's how I got to meet him.
#24 Old 06-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jess B

All my brushes with fame have been second hand. When I lived in Michigan, I worked with Uncle Cracker's (a.k.a. Matt) mom. It was just before his first album hit big, she had a photocopy of his advance check from the record company on the wall of her cubicle.

[/B]

DUDE! when did you live in michigan? i've met some of uncle kracker's relatives at events... i lived in Harrison Twp., where he grew up or something. that's awesome.

apart from that, my best friend lives down the street from eminem
#25 Old 06-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of music people, I've met everyone from Pharcyde to AC/DC. No real famous music friends, unless you count composers. My friend, Brian Tyler (see IMDb) is fast becoming one of the busiest composers in Hollywood. Kinda makes me feel like an underachiever... Heh. Not really. Honest.
#26 Old 06-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by StvSpl

DUDE! when did you live in michigan? i've met some of uncle kracker's relatives at events... i lived in Harrison Twp., where he grew up or something. that's awesome.

I lived in Michigan from 6/98 to 4/02. I lived in Warren and I just hated it. I was almost glad to get laid off from GM so I could get the hell out of MI.
#27 Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Beginner

I met Kid Rock back in 1995. I went on a date with some *idiot* who was a dj at a local radio station in Cleveland while I was going to college at Kent State University. He knew Kid Rock from some thing they had both worked on in NYC so he wanted to go see him play at this hole in the wall dirty club in Cleveland. We went. We met. He (and a small "posse") had some beers with us. We watched him "sing" (at that time he was much more "hip hop" than "rock") and I thought he was so sucky and a total joke as I recall him saying something about "*****es on his jock" and I thought oh dear, what a poser. I was not impressed. When the dj date introduced me to him he shook my hand and I remember wiping my hand off on my jeans because he was so filthy and gross. I still can't stand him...

I also kind of met Seth Green. I was an extra in the movie 'Airborne' and there is a scene at the very end where Green walks through a crowd of people and I pat him on the shoulder. Yeah you can see me in the movie We did the scene several times so I got to pat his shoulder/back a few times. He said something to me and my friends next to me...joking about this big pothole in the pavement and he was like "whew don't fall in the giant crevice (sp?)." He is VERY short.
#28 Old 06-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I've met Ozzy Osbourne, Susan Lucci (and other All My Children actors), Steve Van Zandt, and Bobby Rivers (if you consider him a celebrity). A couple of months ago I saw Holly Hunter at a health food store in NYC but didn't approach her because I didn't want to bother her. And years ago Bruce Springsteen took the empty seat next to me at a concert but I didn't know it was him until he left. The security people came over to me saying "did you know who was sitting next to you?" and I'm like "duh"...I didn't even look at him.
#29 Old 06-19-2003, 06:22 PM

very few

have spotted Charlie Dimmock around twice. 2nd hand claims to fame would be an uncle (Bob Holness) who hosted some tv show a while back, my dad photographing Sting's daughter (he was their school photographer) and my mum working for someone who's late husband had a moutain in Antarctica named after him (rather tenuous i know). ah yes, and a relative on mine was on Shackelton's ship
#30 Old 06-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost forgot, for the Food TV junkies out there, I was in Las Vegas this winter wandering through Bellagio and walked within 10 feet of Bobby Flay (Hot off the Grill). I looked at my bro. who was with me and was soooo excited "HEY, THERE'S BOBBY FLAY." My bro. was convinced at that point that I was the biggest dork alive.

Also talked to Jay Schroeder (on the phone) of the Redskins back in High School, he was dating my store manager (while he was "happily" married).

Ok, now I know I'm bordering on OLD LOSER status!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page