I'm going to Montreal - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey,

I'm going to be arriving in Montreal on Thursday morning and staying until Sunday evening. It will be my first time in Montreal and I'll be there by myself.

Does anyone have any recommendations on restaurants to go to? I have seen this page: http://www.montreal.com/tourism/veggie.html. I'll be staying in a hotel in the rue Ste-Catherine area.

I'm also looking for suggestions for nightclubs, especially ones that play electronic dance music. I'm looking forward to checking out Stereo especially.

So yeah, I thought I'd put that out there. Oh and if any Montreal VBers want to hang out with me, PM me and we can get in touch. I'd be down for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

haha I live an hour and a half from Montreal but haven't actually really been there aside from a 2 hour tour of the expos stadium when I was 11 years old.

So yeah, sorry I'm not very helpful. I'll ask a friend of mine who goes sometimes. And I know Mikie has been a few times.

So why Montreal?
#3 Old 09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to Montreal a few months ago. I went to this really neat vegan restaurant while I was there. It's in The Village part of the city...I don't know the exact address so you'd have to google it or look in a tourist book. It's called Spirite Lounge. It's decorated really funky, it's entirely vegan and the owners are against wasting food, so they tell you you have to eat all your dinner or you don't get dessert (you can order half portions). The chef just makes up the recipes, so the menu changes each day and you just eat whatever it is they happen to be serving. It's so unique! I highly recommend that you check it out if you're into that

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#4 Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Ankle Biter

There's a wonderful Indian restaurant on St. Denis, and nearly all the restaurants in Vieux-Montreal will have something for you! And, most have their menus posted outside, so you can check it out before you go in. In Vieux-Montreal, there's a place called Jardin Nelson (407 Place Jacques Cartier - I have a match book!) it's beautiful for lunch with it's hidden garden. I had a Thai wrap entree there that was wonderful. If you like art, there's lots of galleries in Vieux Montreal, and several in Westmont - Galerie de Bellefeuille is exquisite. Oh, Montreal is one of my very favorites places - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time...ahhh...

Oh, Oh! There's a spectacular Italian Farmer's Market - it is huge! and has some of the most beautiful vegetables and breads you will ever see - its a great place to poke around - it's in the north eastern part of the city in Little Italy and any cab driver can get you there.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 09-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

oh I am soooo jealous!! I vacationed in Montreal/Quebec City last summer and absolutely loved it.

Go to Le Commensal! Vegetarian buffet! It was so cool!
#6 Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Montreal. Except for the bus drivers - there are so many rude ones.

I found it pretty easy to be vegan there. You can get a vegetable panini sans cheese and mayo almost anywhere, and there was a great sushi place with vegan sushi... I can't remember what it was called, but if I remember before Thursday, I'll post it here.
#7 Old 09-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of any specific restaurants to reccomend (i don't eat downtown a lot), but basically everywhere will have something. There's this tiny little restaurant on Mt. Royal (the street not mountain) that makes the best tofu burger. I think it's called pititi patata or something like that. There's a lot of Le Commensal restaurants around downtown MTL, and you can actually pick up their food in supermarkets (under the le petit chef label).

As for the bus drivers, they're basically all unhappy. You'll occasionally get a nice one, but don't count on it.
#8 Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Ha. I actually become a vegetarian when I was there visiting my grandparents and cousins. One of my cousins convinced me to go veggie while I was there. I liked Harvey's veggieburgers, but I am biased as my grandfather owns a Harveys there.
#9 Old 09-06-2005, 07:42 PM

If you're into the after hours then you might want to check out Aria as well...It's a great nightclub. And you're going to love Stereo!
#10 Old 09-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Harvey's veggieburgers=

They are like the only fast food place I actually like. Why? Because I get to tell them exactly what I want and I can see them cook it. Plus they use a separate spatula for the veggieburgers and the meat burgers. Can you say awesomeness?
#11 Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I have a pretty good idea of places to check out, but of course it is impossible to plan everything. I hope the clubs aren't hard to get into, and that people in Montreal are as cool as I've heard they are (I speak French too).
#12 Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know you spoke French, Peebs. That's cool! I wish I could speak it.

Montréal is great. I haven't been there in a few years so I haven't scoped out the vegan scene, but I have been to several grocery stores in Québec and they always have really great flavors of soymilk that we never see in the U.S. (strawberry, mocha, belgian chocolate, I've seen there.)

I've been to a few bars there and they're always fun, but I don't really have any suggestions. St Catherine's, as you probably know, is the nightlife central and you'll be able to just walk down the street and find cool places I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page