Photos from the train derailment and cleanup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

As requested and promised, some photos. This load doesn't have me in them.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

Photo 1: We attempt to keep the clean areas of the shore uncontaminated. The reeds in this photo have been mostly cut down now, as there were pools of oil in between the reeds. The reeds are cut 3 inches below the water surface, so that the plants are not killed, but the trapped oil is released. In the water, you can see black strips - that is "boom", an absorbent material that only soaks up oil, not water.

Photo 2: An example of containment. Just to the right of the large sacks is a black area. That is a heavy oil area. It's been "boomed" off, so that the oil is contained in that area and does not spread. Then, we work to clean that area. In the water you can see the yellow "river boom". It has a plastic coating and a "skirt" under the water that stops the oil from slipping under it.

Photo 3: What the site looks like in the morning, before we get started. It's nice and clean. This beach was classed as a "moderate" at one point, but was brought to a "light" by the time I took the photo. Currently, it's nearly clean with only the rocks left to clean up.

Photo 4: A typical beach at the end of the day. The black "intestines" are the boom that's been dragged back into shore and replaced with the clean stuff. Everyone wears those white suits. If in the water, you wear a white suit, chest waiters, another white suit, a pair of surgerical gloves and a pair of dishwasher clothes which is duct taped to your suits.
LL
#3 Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

FreshTart is my hero for the day.
#4 Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Why?
#5 Old 09-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Because you devoted time and getting smelly and sweaty to clean up someone else's environmental mess?
#6 Old 09-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

Girls don't sweat.

#7 Old 09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Banned

Another update for those following along. Posted on my message board Sept 15.

So today, I helped a beaver and stopped an animal abuser.

One of the beaver lodges at the lake is in an area that no one has started clean up at yet. The oil isn't to his house yet. So, I was a part of the first crew to go in and start setting up a canvas and wire fence that would protect the entire lagoon from the oil. In some spots, the ground dropped off 8 feet deep, so we walked single file (up to our chests in some places) in the cold rain, laying fencing and using long poles to judge the floor bottom before we take a step. Further in, the bullrushes and reeds were incrediently thick and we kept joking that we were in the jungle. We went through a large length of deep water that we couldn't get around, so myself and two others bushwacked the area (basically we used the poles as support and propelled ourselves up onto the planets and crushed them so that we could walk on them.) In many spots we had to hold hands, lock arms and chain walk at a turtle pace to avoid anyone falling in. I'm a part of the crew again tomorrow and I'm very excited.

Before we set off to do that, I witnessed a foreman use his hard hat to strick a resident dog in the backend. As it happened, someone else witnessed it as well. We didn't say anything until we got back to camp, reported it to our main boss, who called her boss over. I told him what happened, the other guy agreed. He asked us to write it up and the foreman was off site permanently. Just like that. I was quite proud of the way they handled it, and so quickly.

So overall a great day
#8 Old 09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

Update on the dog:

The next day, the guy I reported the dog incident to approached me and said, "It's dealt with. Thanks for letting me know."

The guy is permanently off site.
#9 Old 10-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

more photos:

1. This is what the rocks look like. They all need to be scrubbed.

2. I'm 3rd from the right in a 3XL suit lol

3. Yum
LL
LL
LL
#10 Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Banned

So the clean up is over for the year. There is still a lot more work to do in the spring/winter.

Overall, I'm very pleased with what we did and the impact we made in the lives of the residents (both human and non-human). If I wasn't on strike, I wouldn't have had this opportunity to work at this. So the strike wasn't all bad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page