Compare / Contrast -- Holland / United States - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Why not compare Holland with Connecticut or something?

Because I started the thread and I don't live in Connecticut. Why must you be so difficult?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This thread was about walkable neighborhoods?

It's about more than walkable neighborhoods. It's also about community and atmosphere. Doesn't it become obviously clear when one looks at the pictures, that that particular San Francisco neighborhood lacks both and the Dutch one does not? And, before you say it again, I think that both pictures are quite representative of their respective areas.
#33 Old 08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was in the UK, I was personally quite amazed (though not surprised) by the small number of cyclists there. What further astounded me was their treating cycling as a life-threatening adventure which somehow has to involve body armor. I mean, safety is a good thing, I agree, but helmets, for leisurely riding through the city? Also, I think this has to do with elevations (or at least I hope so), I found it rather odd that everyone I saw was riding sports-type bicycles. Just look at some of the posted pictures to see what I mean.

I think the best point to be made about the Dutch and the Americans and bicycles is that when a member or head of the Dutch government is portrayed while riding a bicycle, he is doing so because he wants to be seen as an ordinary Dutchman, using his bicycle to get from one place to another, while president Bush recently wanted to be seen as a man who manages to stay in shape in spite of a very busy job (this is admirable in its own right).

Mikie: when was IMG_6373 taken? I think I can see my bike (it was parked there for some time when I was on vacation).

http://www.nos.nl/archief/nieuws/ima...nner_fiets.jpg

http://www.sdbc.org/photos/albums/us.../bush_bike.jpg
#34 Old 08-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlay View Post

Mikie: when was IMG_6373 taken? I think I can see my bike (it was parked there for some time when I was on vacation).

No way! All the bikes in Holland look the same!

It was about July 20th of this year.
#35 Old 08-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, pity, I'm clearly mistaken. My bike's pretty eccentric, though:
#36 Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm lucky enough to have never broken a bone before. *knocks on wood* According to my mother and my earliest memories, I've always been extremely cautious. I've never engaged in any activity more dangerous than bunny slope skiing.
#37 Old 08-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The countries in general or the two spots where you chose to take pictures? I can walk across the street any day school is in session and get a shot with about that many bikes, if that is what you are getting at.

I don't think you'll find spots like this in many other countries : http://dannyman.toldme.com/images/IMG_2854.JPG (Amsterdam)
#38 Old 08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

^^^

pfft

we have to stack the bikes on top of one another in Portland.

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/.../09/271965.jpg
#39 Old 08-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^

pfft

#40 Old 08-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

i've never ever seen that many bikes in my life !
#41 Old 08-22-2005, 02:49 AM
Banned

>>^^^

pfft

we have to stack the bikes on top of one another in Portland.>>

'cause they're ****ty bikes, ostensibly.

ebola
#42 Old 08-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

we have to stack the bikes on top of one another in Portland.

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/.../09/271965.jpg

I couldn't help but think of the junk collectors in Robots.

I remember the narrow, twisty streets of the Gothic Quarter of Barcelona. They didn't make it easy to find something the first time you went there, and you could easily get lost, but they were much more pedestrian-friendly than car-friendly. Many, many other streets in the city were designed for cars. These streets were designed before there were cars to consider. Even in the other sections of the city, people walked a lot more than in my city in northeastern Ohio, USA.

Here, stuff is so spread out you have to drive unless you want to spend your life pedaling. When I run errands, I can't go to one central location and walk from there. I go here, and there, and over there. If I walk across a street to go to a different store than I parked at, people think I'm crazy.

An Ohioan friend of mine bought a mountain bike. He got it home, opened up the manual and read "Not for off-road use." That doesn't exactly relate to this discussion, but it does provide evidence for US-misunderstanding of bicycles.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#43 Old 08-23-2005, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Those are NOT many bikes on the picture, I can easily take pictures everywhere in Holland (the parts where people live at least) with a lot more bicycles! Really, at every small village

You can easily lose your bike in this country on the other hand, the weather sucks right now
#44 Old 08-23-2005, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauskubus View Post

I don't think you'll find spots like this in many other countries : http://dannyman.toldme.com/images/IMG_2854.JPG (Amsterdam)

I was thinking about that place when I saw the first picture....

I mean, come on, Leeuwarden of all places... Amsterdam is where you should be! Or even Almelo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page