Where do we eat, So Cal? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Where do we eat, So Cal?
Naitive Foods 0 0%
Go Veggie 0 0%
Great Eats 0 0%
Real Food Daily 0 0%
The Green Temple 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Pick your place kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

ooops.... first poll didn't turn out right...
#3 Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

i voted Real Food Daily because I've always wanted to go there. I'd really rather not go to native foods, because, though it's my favorite restaurant, there's one by where my dad lives and i've been there billions of times.
#4 Old 07-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i said this in the other thread, but i'll say it again here. i'd prefer to go somewhere i've never been before. i've been to rfd and native foods plenty of times, and i don't know anything about the other three.
#5 Old 07-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

i dont know anything about the other three either. im happy as long as we don't go to native foods :-D
#6 Old 07-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

From the web...

Go Veggie (Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly)

A popular tiny café that offers a buffet of mostly vegetarian items. Many dishes are vegan, but items are not labeled, and it may be challenging to ask about ingredients during the busy lunch and dinner rush. Some hot dishes, hot soups, and an array of attractive and tasty salads.

5462 S. Centinella Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90066

Phone: 310-577-0167

Hours: Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m,

Saturday and Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

The Green Temple, A Veggie Place (Vegetarian and Vegan)

The owners are former employees of the now defunct Greens at the Beach. For those who fondly remember the food at Greens, this menu has many similarities. Very vegan friendly. Funky decor. They boast their herb garden and purified water. Menu includes complete savory meals with lots of veggies, salads, sandwiches, creative burritos, and fresh squeezed juices. Order any dish that features their outstanding Savory Sauce such as the Savory Steamer. The Three Bean Soup is a winner. Finish up with one of their Dragon Shots, herbal tonics uniquely served.

1700 S. Catalina Ave., Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Phone: 310-944-4525

Hours: Tuesday to Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m..

Friday and Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Closed Mondays

Couldn't find anything on the other one... I'll keep looking... There's a ton of interesting looking places on this site:

http://www.vegparadise.com/restaurants.html

Maybe if everyone can find one they haven't been to, that would be cool...
#7 Old 07-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

vegguide.org is another good site that lists by neighborhood and other options.
#8 Old 07-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I've actually only been to Real Food Daily. I'll post their website in a minute.

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 07-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.realfood.com

Real Food Daily Santa Monica combines light wood, a clean, modern design, natural textures and engaging art work to create a soothing and comfortable dining retreat in Santa Monica. With its multi-leveled table seating and beckoning counter, Real Food Daily is the perfect ambiance in which to experience innovative cuisine that is both delicious and life-enhancing.

Address:

514 Santa Monica Blvd.

Santa Monica, CA 90401

Phone:

(310) 451-7544

(310) 451-7154 fax

Hours:

11:30-10:00 Monday - Sunday

Delivery Hours:

Monday - Friday 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Monday - Sunday 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Call 310-451-7544 ext. 3

Delivery is provided by Gogh Delivery Artists

Parking:

Metered street parking available until 6:00 P.M. After 6:00 p.m., free street parking available. Paid lot on the South/west corner of 5th and Santa Monica Boulevard, enter on 5th street. Can use valet on south/east corner of 5th street and Santa Monica Boulevard.

#10 Old 07-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

it seems to me that if we go to rfd, the west hollywood location would probably be a better choice. it's bigger, and the food always seems to be better. i guess it depends on whether anything else is planned, though.
#11 Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I like their nachos and their club sandwich, among other items.
#12 Old 07-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wanting to go to Real Food Daily for a while, but I'd be happy with anywhere, actually.
#13 Old 07-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never been to any of those places...
#14 Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

I've never been to any of those places...

So I'm not alone!!
#15 Old 07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't, either, which is why I'm willing to check any of them out.
#16 Old 07-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a great place in Tarzana - Madeline's Bistro. I think it's only a few months old. http://www.madeleinebistro.com/

I don't really like Native Foods - I like RFD. There's also Kung Pao Bistro which although isn't strictly veggie has a great veggie orange chicken!!
#17 Old 07-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

A vegan French restaurant? Sacré bleu!

#18 Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

A vegan French restaurant? Sacré bleu!

that serves vegan wine and beer!
#19 Old 07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

There's a great place in Tarzana - Madeline's Bistro. I think it's only a few months old. http://www.madeleinebistro.com/

ooooooh.
#20 Old 07-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

.....that place looks SO COOL.

but where's the hells [strike]Tanzania[/strike] Tarzana?!
#21 Old 07-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by porvida View Post

.....that place looks SO COOL.

but where's the hells [strike]Tanzania[/strike] Tarzana?!

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Tarzana,+CA

#22 Old 07-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

I don't really like Native Foods - I like RFD. There's also Kung Pao Bistro which although isn't strictly veggie has a great veggie orange chicken!!

Gasp! You don't like Native Foods?! I can't fathom that. Why not?

Madeleine Bistro is the most expensive restaurant in L.A., and a bit further north. Still relatively freeway convenient, but nowhere near a beach, and a bit too intimate for a large group to hang out, be loud, and get to know each other, unlike RFD Santa Monica.

All the same, here is the review I posted at my site about a month ago:

Friday, July 01, 2005

Madeleine Bistro - My Favorite New Vegan Restaurant

I just finished eating one of the finest vegan meals of my life at Madeleine Bistro in Tarzana (of all places). While there are many delicious animal-friendly restaurants, there haven't been any on par with Manhattan's many fine veg restaurants, or even San Francisco's Millennium. I haven't been to many of those, since I'm not that well-traveled or well-heeled, but I certainly have rued that L.A. was lacking in an establishment that could at least be the peer of those restaurants.

Proprietors David and Molly Anderson opened the Bistro with an eye toward letting the ingredients dictate the menu, rather than getting locked into some sort of box. David's experience as an executive chef at Real Food Daily has clearly served him well (you have taste what he can do with seitan), but being out on his own has allowed him to draw on influences like Wolfgang Puck, whose various restaurants serve disparate cuisine unified by adventure, quality, and attention to detail, and have been host to many a fine chef. This is the start of what I hope will become a trend in L.A., particularly as veganism finds its way out of its niche.

It's nice to finally have an animal-friendly restaurant of this ilk in L.A. For those that can afford its relatively high (but by no means Juliano-style outrageous) prices, it is well worth the trek to find this nearly invisible restaurant on Ventura Blvd. The tacky neon strips seem a holdover from a previous tenant, and many of them don't work. They certainly do not hint at the warm, tasteful, but not ostentatious interior makeover you'll find after parking on the street nearby and heading in. No valet parking - at least, not yet - saves you about $5 over dining out for a similarly upscale experience, which is good news for my humble means. I found a spot on the street right out front, and used the valet money at dessert time to splurge on cannoli, which I haven't had since well before going vegan over five years ago. The cannoli was served with a sprinkling of berries, which were organic, as is I believe everything they serve, making their prices seem all the more reasonable.

While I had a $2 green tea, a variety of wines were also available by the glass from around $8. Two entrees - including their most expensive, a $16 portobella mushroom filet mignon - along with two teas and the cannoli ran only $42. While this firmly establishes Madeleine Bistro as a special occasion restaurant on my budget, it easily supplants all my previous choices for anniversaries and the like, and makes me excited about dining out at a vegan restaurant again.

And don't get the idea that this place is posh or pretentious. David and Molly are as nice and personal as can be, and the overall dining experience tonight was made very comfortable by their presence in the dining room. Our server, Hop, was attentive and helpful, certainly a far cry from the burn 'em and turn 'em atmosphere of RFD. Hop, if I remember correctly, was vegetarian 20 years, and has been vegan for 6, so it's nice to have him there to attend the needs of guests, especially people who might be less familiar with vegan cuisine and what veganism is all about. For us vegans, it's nice to go to a restaurant where the menu and the service is all oriented to your philosophy, and that is yet another great reason to pay a visit.

Madeleine Bistro

Organic Vegan Cuisine

818-758-6971

18621 Ventura Blvd.

Tarzana, CA 91356

(Exit 101 at Reseda and turn West on Ventura, N. side of street)

Hours of Operation:

Dinner:

Tuesday through Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm

Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm

Lunch:

Tuesday through Friday: 11:30m - 2:30pm

Sunday Brunch: (beginning Sunday, June 12th)

Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm

Closed Monday
#23 Old 07-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmmmm. ... okay, according to the poll..... it's RFD, but does everyone stick with that, or did we want to try Madeleine Bistro? ..... i'm so undecided. I don't care as long as I get to meet all you cool people.
#24 Old 07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer RFD. That location is MUCH better for group visits. Please, if you can, visit Madeleine Bistro on your own (all of you) at some point, but I think we'll be able to pull out the stops at RFD. Let's make sure we get all the locals gathered together around here to pick a date!
#25 Old 07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

And if RFD is cheaper, that's another point in its favor.

All I ask regarding the date is that it be sometime after the first week of school (mid-September-ish) if at all possible. Life is much too stressful in the time leading up to that.

If it isn't possible, I'll catch you all the next time around.
#26 Old 07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Post-Labor Day works better for me, too, though that seems like a long way away for dinner.

Are we thinking a weekend night, so that people don't have to worry about early morning wake-ups or trying to make it after work?
#27 Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

A weekend night would make the most sense, I would think -- maybe a Saturday?. Do many (or any?) people in this thread work early mornings or evenings on weekends?
#28 Old 08-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

A Saturday in Sept would work best for me too. I have a Sat class every weekend in Aug. As for where we eat, doesn't matter to me because I've never been to any of these place.
#29 Old 08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree RFD is better - but don't you think the one on La Cienega is easier to get to?

Wow Septemberish . . . that's awfully far far away . . .

Nice review!
#30 Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

i was thinking the one in west hollywood would be better because it's larger (and i just prefer it).

i also was expecting something sooner than september . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page