Should daylight saving time be extended? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Should daylight saving time be extended?
Absolutely! The more sunshine, the better! 0 0%
No, it's fine the way it is. 0 0%
Let's get rid of DST altogether. 0 0%
I don't care one way or another. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Daylight-saving extension draws heat over safety, cost

By Wendy Koch, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON A move by Congress to extend daylight-saving time for four weeks to save energy has prompted an outcry from parent groups and the nation's airline industry, which warn it could be dangerous and costly.

\t\t\t

Lawmakers from the House and Senate agreed Thursday to include a provision part of a larger energy bill that would start daylight-saving time three weeks earlier, the second Sunday in March, and end it a week later, the first Sunday of November. Kids would have an hour more daylight for trick-or-treating on Halloween.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...congress_x.htm

Food for thought:

I know that DST saves a lot of energy. But why extend it only for four more weeks, then? Why not make it year round?

On the other hand, wouldn't changing the time like this mess with the body's natural cycles? Just as the Julian calendar eventually got out of sync with the natural seasons, wouldn't changing the time give humans "permanent jet lag?"

Discuss.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I want it to be daylights savings time all the time. I hate having to switch.
#3 Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

This issue annoys me as it also affects Canada and Mexico (I assume) . It just seems somewhat arrogant for the current US government to just decide such things without any discussion with the others who share the continent. I'm not saying if Canaada and Mexico disagreed that the US couldn't make it's own decision but I would think some discussion beforehand would have been at least the polite and useful international thing to do)

The issue now in Canada is whether we should follow suit to avoid financial and other difficultiers brought about by differences in time (travel complications , etc etc).

I feel the decision should have at least been talked about internationally (perhaps it was that I'm unaware of but from the news it seems like it was unexpected). I'm not sure how this effects Mexico but similarly , it shoud have been at least discussed as it effects North American and not just the US.
#4 Old 07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't like DST.
#5 Old 07-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

i still only have a vague idea of why we have daylight savings time to begin with. seems a bit strange to me.
#6 Old 07-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like having to go to work when it's still night. So, no.
#7 Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like it being daylight at 9PM for this long during the year as it is.
#8 Old 07-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i don't like DST.

Nor do I. I wish it would be one way or the other, permanently. The switch always screws my sleep cycle up.
#9 Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like DST. I haven't had to deal with it while living in Indiana, though -- most of Indiana has stayed on Standard time for decades. Unfortunately, they just passed a bill to start observing DST starting next year.
#10 Old 07-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to see a detailed listing of the supposed energy savings. What I see in the mornings are most of the lights turned on as people get up and ready for work. And, then as Christy mentioned, having daylight last well into the evening just so the charcoal briquette industry can get more people BBQ-ing (yes, they were a big lobby to putting it in place.) I would also say that it is less safe for children in the mornings as these barely awake business people are driving to work and having to look out for children in the dark...

I prefer farmer's hours; it's natural and no jetlag involved. Plus no problems with resetting all the clocks and electronics. And if people want to be home while it's still daylight out, let them arrange earlier hours with their employer. Simple as that!
#11 Old 07-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

If we were DST all the time the what have we accomplished other than to rename the hours?
#12 Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really understand what DST is. Never have.
#13 Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The switch doesn't really mess with my sleep schedule. I'm so erratic anyway, and my work schedules are on an as-needed basis.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 07-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

It's pointless really. I'd like to see it got rid of entirely. What's this "more sunshine" crap? There are exactly the same amount of daylight hours whether daylight savings is in or not. It's just the clocks that change guys, not the amount of hours.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#15 Old 10-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

/bump

Reminder: DST in the U.S. (I don't know about anywhere else) ends at 2:00 a.m. Sunday, 29 October 2006.

Aaaagh! The darkness! The darkness! I can't see!!!

*turns on light*

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 10-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

DST always confuses me. I never know when it starts or ends and I get confused which way we are changing the clocks and I don't see the point.
#17 Old 10-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I like DST. It shifts the hours a little so we're up and going through our day more in the sunshine than in the darkness.

*dodges tomatoes*
#18 Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

DST is stupid.
#19 Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in Arizona where we don't have it, and I much prefer it that way!
#20 Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

/bump

Reminder: DST in the U.S. (I don't know about anywhere else) ends at 2:00 a.m. Sunday, 29 October 2006.

Aaaagh! The darkness! The darkness! I can't see!!!

*turns on light*

thanks for the reminder. are we going back, foward? what?
#21 Old 10-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Back. I don't like it. I don't need an extra hour of sunshine in the summer. I would rather have the extra hour in the winter. In the summer it would get dark around 8 p.m. That's plenty of daylight, IMO. With DST, it will be dark here at 5 p.m. now and I think it would be better to have it stay lighter until 6 p.m. It's just what I prefer.
#22 Old 10-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

ok, so fall back, spring foward? ...fall foward, spring back bullsh*t
#23 Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Back. I don't like it. I don't need an extra hour of sunshine in the summer. I would rather have the extra hour in the winter. In the summer it would get dark around 8 p.m. That's plenty of daylight, IMO. With DST, it will be dark here at 5 p.m. now and I think it would be better to have it stay lighter until 6 p.m. It's just what I prefer.

yeah. it would make more sense to have daylight savings time in the winter when we would actualy benifit from more daylight.
#24 Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Except that we wouldn't get "more" daylight - it would just be lighter later. It wouldn't get light until like 9 or 10am in the northern part of the US (I'm talking the NW, NE, lakes states, etc -- not alaska).

I'd rather just get rid of DST. It's supposed to conserve energy, but I'm not convinced it makes a difference. They say you don't need to turn on your lights as early in the summertime, so you use less energy, but you're also home at an earlier hour in the day (read: hotter part of the day), requiring you to turn on your A/C earlier than you normally would (given that you have A/C).

I don't care for it.
#25 Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Semantics

But yeah I vote we get rid of it altogether as well - I just think that if we must have it, might as well be in the winter insted of summer when we could have greater benifit from "our clocks adjusted to allow later daylight hours".
#26 Old 10-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Except that we wouldn't get "more" daylight - it would just be lighter later. It wouldn't get light until like 9 or 10am in the northern part of the US (I'm talking the NW, NE, lakes states, etc -- not alaska).

Whoa, I had no idea. I assumed the sun would come up around 7 a.m. the way it does now. When we change the clocks it will be light around 6 a.m.
#27 Old 10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Whoa, I had no idea. I assumed the sun would come up around 7 a.m. the way it does now. When we change the clocks it will be light around 6 a.m.

.... You're being sarcastic, right?
#28 Old 10-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Uh, no. It really does get light here at 7 now. And I really didn't know it got light that much later where you stated!
#29 Old 10-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

Uh, no. It really does get light here at 7 now. And I really didn't know it got light that much later where you stated!

but the days keep getting shorter until the solstice, no matter where you live

the sun will keep coming up later, no matter whether you call what time it came up today 7,8,9 etc
#30 Old 10-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

unless you live in the southern hemisphere, that is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page