my mouth + scalpel = - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm having oral surgery tomorrow It seems I've got four more teeth than normal people do, but they've never dropped which means there'll have to cut them out of my gums before they push my normal teeth out of alignment.

Soo...those of you who haven't puked already, I'll hope to talk to you soon but I won't guarantee anything, so ya'll have a good weekend

psssst, if the photo album is up when I get back, you can look forward to all my wonderful pictures!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Ack. I hope it all goes well. I once met this guy who had literally had shark teeth. His baby teeth never fell out and a new set of adult teeth just grew in, not under, but behind all of his baby teeth. He went through a few surgeries and had the baby teeth taken out with very little scaring.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#3 Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, wow! I know everything will go alright for you, though. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, they did all 4 of them that one time and it only took a few days. Good luck and rest easy this weekend!
#4 Old 07-22-2005, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Eek. I hope it goes well, though. :-) I take it you'll be enjoying a lot of smoothies and soup after this?
#5 Old 07-22-2005, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

many eeps to that, my friend i hope all goes well.
#6 Old 07-22-2005, 06:26 AM

Good luck with the extractions. I too, had all 4 wisdom teeth yanked on one occasion with no troubles. At least you'll get to lay in bed for a day and have mom wait on you.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Not a fun thing! Necessary, but not fun. You going to be under local or general anesthetic? I was under general for getting my wisdom teeth taken out.. it was a far less nerve wracking experience than staying awake was (which I did for another thing), but it kind made me nauseous for a day or two after. Still worth it, I'd say!
#8 Old 07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

if it feels like when I had my wisdom teeth out it will hurt like a beeatch for at least two days but then you feel fine
#9 Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

It shouldn't be too bad. Ask for plenty of post-op opioids. You'll be in nasty pain for at least 12 hours or so. You probably won't be able to get morphine, even tho I think you really need it, for extraction pain -- the combination of ingredient tablets commonly prescribed aren't quite strong enough.

You might want to have 1 or 2 teeth taken out at a time. That should cause less post-op pain. Perhaps both the uppers, then both the lowers. Or both teeth on the left, and then both teeth on the right. With this scenario, only one side of your head will be in excrutiating pain for a few hours. The other side will only be in mild to moderate pain.

You might want to take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, if you have a lot of post op swelling. Less swelling, less pain. Ask for a prescription or take plain old aspirin, ibuprofen, or whatever. With a prescription, you can take a larger dose of ibuprofen than the non-prescription dose. Which could help with swelling, tho the extra amount wouldn't help with pain not caused by swelling.

I think a combination of drugs may have a synergistic effect. In other words, if you get an acetaminophen with codein prescription, take 650 mg of aspirin in addition. If you get aspirin or ibuprofen with codeine prescription, take 650 mg of tylenol in addition. You can take as much codeine as you can fit in you, up to about 300 mg. But don't do that if it is formulated with something else -- you'll get an overdose of the something else. You can take up to 1000 mg of aspirin, or 1000 mg of acetaminophen, but if you take both at the same time, I'd limit it to 650 mg each. It is important to limit acetaminophen because excess can cause liver damage. Excess nsaids can cause stomach ulcers. The former is worse, obviously. Stomach ulcer can heal. Liver damage -- you may need a liver transplant or you die. Do NOT take any alcohol with acetaminophen. It can cause liver damage. Typical tablet formulation are 325 mg acetaminophen plus 60 mg codeine in the same tablet. So you can't take more than 2 or 3 without taking too much acetaminophen. Which limits you to 180 mg of codeine -- yet you can could take more codeine without a problem.

I found that I needed a total of 1000 mg aspirin plus 180 mg codeine, to control my post op pain for 1 wisdom tooth. But I didn't have mine dug out. They were already erupted, and extracted without needing to cut through the gums or bones.

You'll have less post-op pain if you have a local anesthetic rather than a general.

If the teeth are just below the surface it may not add too much extra pain. Cutting the gum is no big deal, cutting away bone to reach the tooth would be more painful.
#10 Old 07-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

jenna "When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, they did all 4 of them that one time and it only took a few days."

Aak. I can't imagine sitting in a dental chair for more than an hour, much less a few days.
#11 Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

ouch.

so wisdom teeth hurt when you get them taken out? i get mine out next summer. i'm only 15 and all 4 are half way in. my dentist said that they've basically grown in as much as they can. i have a really small mouth and if they try pushing themselves all the way in, they are going to ruin all my orthodontic work.
#12 Old 07-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

jenna "When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, they did all 4 of them that one time and it only took a few days."

Aak. I can't imagine sitting in a dental chair for more than an hour, much less a few days.

I think she meant the recovery time.
#13 Old 07-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

ehh, my doctor must have thought I was a huge wuss. My mouth hurts like hell and I think a stitch came out but they were saying I'd be down for the count the entire weekend. haha, take that!

This wasn't a wisdom tooth extraction, unfortunately. I have supernumerated teeth. They are very rare, and I had a severe case. Basically it's like I had four extra adult teeth hiding in my gums that were pushing my adult teeth out and making them loose. I had two under each of my bottom canines or something, and even though they were adult teeth they didn't have roots, so if they had managed to push out the teeth that were above them, they'd come out too and I'd have four lovely holes in my mouth. But all went well I suppose. Apparently it was the hardest surgery the doctor had even done of it's kind
#14 Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

lol. oh, man. I just realized how that was badly worded.
#15 Old 07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

ehh, my doctor must have thought I was a huge wuss. My mouth hurts like hell and I think a stitch came out but they were saying I'd be down for the count the entire weekend. haha, take that!

This wasn't a wisdom tooth extraction, unfortunately. I have supernumerated teeth. They are very rare, and I had a severe case. Basically it's like I had four extra adult teeth hiding in my gums that were pushing my adult teeth out and making them loose. I had two under each of my bottom canines or something, and even though they were adult teeth they didn't have roots, so if they had managed to push out the teeth that were above them, they'd come out too and I'd have four lovely holes in my mouth. But all went well I suppose. Apparently it was the hardest surgery the doctor had even done of it's kind

woo, a trooper! AND you gave the doctor a run for his money, too. I'm glad the surgery went well and you're healing up great!
#16 Old 07-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad to see you are through it, and on your way to recovery, Brownie.
#17 Old 07-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Banned

So did they manage to get out the supernumerary teeth without damaging the teeth above them? The normal teeth, that were loose -- they will tighten up now that the supernumerary teeth are gone? Their roots weren't damaged severely by the supernumerary teeth pushing on them? The oral surgeon got out the supernumerary teeth without permanently damaging the normal teeth above them?

I assume you had a super-experienced oral surgeon do this -- as it is indeed an unusual condition, tho perhaps not really "rare."

Did they work from inside your mouth, making gum flaps, and then cutting into bone, similar to how they would do an apicoectomy, or did they have to cut into your jaw from outside your mouth?
#18 Old 07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, all things considering, brownie.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#19 Old 07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

glad it wasn't as bad as you expected...but it still sucks. I wish you a speedy recovery!
#20 Old 07-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with that.
#21 Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Get some rest. I hope you feel better soon.
#22 Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 PM

Feel better brownie...if ever there was a good excuse to eat lots of Soy Temptation.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#23 Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned

Brownie
Quote:
nd even though they were adult teeth they didn't have roots, so if they had managed to push out the teeth that were above them, they'd come out too and I'd have four lovely holes in my mouth.

Actually - not having roots is normal for teeth that haven't erupted yet. First the crowns develop, then they elongate, forming roots. As they elongate, the crowns rise higher (or lower) toward the oral space, and absorb the roots of the baby teeth above them. Kinda do a cellular digestion of the roots. Eat them. As this is happening, the roots of the adult teeth get longer. Once the roots of the baby teeth are absorbed sufficiently, they can no longer anchor the teeth in bone, and the baby teeth then fall out. The adult teeth continue to push up, into the the oral space, until the crown is entirely exposed. By that time the roots of the adult tooth are nearly completely developed. It takes another year or so for the root tip to develop completely. Conceivably, this might have happened with adult teeth too: the second set of teeth, the supernumary teeth, might have absorbed the roots of the adult teeth above them, and replaced the adult teeth in the mouth, just like adult teeth replace baby teeth. Conceivably. Of course I don't know what would have actually happened. If they "ate" the adult teeth, and were themselves well-formed and functional, then surgery might have been avoided. But of course I don't know what they were like. Being abnormal, it is also possible that they may not have ever developed into well-developed teeth.
#24 Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

soilman brownie hasn't posted on vb since May 18th, 2008. this thread is from 2005. its 2010 now. you know that, right?
#25 Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

soilman brownie hasn't posted on vb since May 18th, 2008. this thread is from 2005. its 2010 now. you know that, right?

Maybe he was just showin' off his mad tooth-knowledge!

(I always make this face O_o when people post in mega old threads, btw.)
#26 Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Maybe he was just showin' off his mad tooth-knowledge!

(I always make this face O_o when people post in mega old threads, btw.)

could be- i do recall other soilman tooth-related posts from back in the day. i just hope he wasn't trying to show them off to brownie.
#27 Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Let's hope that since this thread was made, the OP's teeth have healed? ^^"
#28 Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Hope it goes ok. I had the same done when I was younger and it wasn't too bad. The stitches felt really weird tho
#29 Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Banned

Haha. I guess 2steps only read the opening post, didn't read the date, and didn't read any of the last 5 messages on this last page.
#30 Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope Oatmeal locks this old thread so people don't embarrass themselves any further.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page