Washing dishes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I grew up spoiled, cause my mom hated doing dishes so we always had a dishwasher. The first apartment I lived in also had a dishwasher. Now, I don't, though its probably for the best because I'm only one person and I'd be prone to wait until the dishwasher is full and run it and waste energy and hot water. But what I want to know is how do you KNOW your dishes are clean? I nuke my sponge for a minute before I use it to kill the germs, and I use a dish detergent with bleach alternative, and use hot water, and soap and rinse well... but with a dishwasher they get superhot and sterilize and with hand washing, they don't.

Also!

How do I get the garlic smell out of my cutting board!? I wash it, and wash it... but it still smells like garlic! Not that I mind under normal circumstances, but it makes my fruit taste like garlic, and thats pretty gross.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I guess I grew up spoiled, cause my mom hated doing dishes so we always had a dishwasher. The first apartment I lived in also had a dishwasher. Now, I don't, though its probably for the best because I'm only one person and I'd be prone to wait until the dishwasher is full and run it and waste energy and hot water. But what I want to know is how do you KNOW your dishes are clean? I nuke my sponge for a minute before I use it to kill the germs, and I use a dish detergent with bleach alternative, and use hot water, and soap and rinse well... but with a dishwasher they get superhot and sterilize and with hand washing, they don't.

I would think that with plenty of hot water and dish detergent, your dishes would be plenty clean even with hand washing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:

Also!

How do I get the garlic smell out of my cutting board!? I wash it, and wash it... but it still smells like garlic! Not that I mind under normal circumstances, but it makes my fruit taste like garlic, and thats pretty gross.

Try cleaning the cutting board with baking soda. Baking soda does wonders for odors.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

And what do I keep forgetting to buy?

BAKING SODA!!

d'oh.

#4 Old 07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

You can try bleaching plastic, you could do the same to wood but it will ruin it over time.

In general I recommend buying two small bar boards, one for citrus and one for garlic.
#5 Old 07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

You can try bleaching plastic, you could do the same to wood but it will ruin it over time.

In general I recommend buying two small bar boards, one for citrus and one for garlic.

I have two wood boards right now, one big, and one small. The big one was stored in the garage and got REALLY moldy. So I bleached it once and scrubbed it before I moved, but it STILL smells like mold, so I didn't want to use it. I just bleached it again and hopefully that'll get rid of the mold smell. In the meantime though, I've just been using the little board for everything. Getting another one specifically for fruits though wouldn't be a bad idea!

#6 Old 07-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I had a dishwasher I used to put a little vinegar in the water. It's a natural disinfectant, just as powerful as bleach.
#7 Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Lemon juice removes garlic oil/smells. Cut a lemon in half and rub it on the board.

I have never had a dishwasher. Here's what I do. I fill up one side of the sink with soap and the hottest water I can stand. I put the silverware/plasticware in first along with cups and glasses. I don't use a sponge because they harbor bacteria. I use a new dishcloth every day. Wash the cups and glasses first. Rinse, and put them in the strainer. Then come plates and bowls. Then I do the silver/plasticware that's been soaking. Last is pots and pans.

ETA: I never understood how the dishes get clean with people who don't soak them in a sink full of water. My one friend just soaps up a sponge wipes the front and back of the plate or whatever, rinses and that's it. I think the stuff gets stuck on the sponge, so from piece to piece doesn't it just get smeared around?
#8 Old 07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only got the one tub in the sink. I rinse my dishes after I use them, and fill bowls etc... with water to soak.

I don't have a washing machine either, so its more practical for me to use a sponge and microwave it every day than use a dishrag every day.

I'll have to try the lemon thing. I do have a cut lemon in the fridge!

#9 Old 07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

You shouldn't use wooden cutting boards because they are porous & will break down over time. Definitely have more than one, I have 4 actually-different sizes & stuff.
#10 Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

use gloves so you can at least have the water on at it's hottest. It won't be as hot as a dishwasher, but it is much better than having it just warm enough so that your bare hands can withstand it.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#11 Old 07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkace View Post

You shouldn't use wooden cutting boards because they are porous & will break down over time. Definitely have more than one, I have 4 actually-different sizes & stuff.

Everything I've read says that you SHOULD use wooden cutting boards, that plastic holds onto bacteria more than the wooden ones, and its MUCH harder to clean/sterilize the plastic than the wood.

#12 Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

That is true. Wooden cutting boards are safer.

There's a great new kind of wooden cutting board I have...it's called...oh crap I can't remember what it's called. It's awesome, though I'll post again when I remember the name.
#13 Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Everything I've read says that you SHOULD use wooden cutting boards, that plastic holds onto bacteria more than the wooden ones, and its MUCH harder to clean/sterilize the plastic than the wood.

I've read conflicting reports, some claiming that plastic and wood are about the same in the end wrt bacteria.

I picked up a glass one recently -- any thoughts on that? I'm wondering if it would tend to dull knives quickly.
#14 Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

as stated above, a lemon for garlic smell, works on fingers too
#15 Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

I've read conflicting reports, some claiming that plastic and wood are about the same in the end wrt bacteria.

I picked up a glass one recently -- any thoughts on that? I'm wondering if it would tend to dull knives quickly.

Same here, I've heard that both wood and glass can harbor bacteria.

I also have recently purchased a glass one. I really like it so far.
#16 Old 07-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I see little stainless steel slabs sold for finger de-odorizing -- any thoughts?
#17 Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

If you have a wood cutting board, coat it with water and sea salt. Then, rub fresh lemon into it, and rinse it under hot water. It kills the germs, and makes it smell fresh too.

I don't remember where I read this, but I think it was "Vegetarian Times".
#18 Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

how many years have people been washing dishes by hand? many.

they're clean already!
#19 Old 07-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

As someone who uses a dishwasher constantly, I think handwashed dishes can be clean enough. Just make sure that the rinse-water is hot enough and let them air-dry in a rack, preferably.

Gloves are an excellent idea, because they allow you to use hotter water.

I end up having to hand-wash some of the stuff i take out of the diswasher, because it has food particles clinging to it or some of the sticky food never came off in the first place.
#20 Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Also!

Baking soda works wonders, as Amy SF also stated. Trust me on this. I use a LOT of garlic. And then use the same cutting board to slice fruit. No garlic-y fruit.
#21 Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

I see little stainless steel slabs sold for finger de-odorizing -- any thoughts?

People ABSOLUTELY SWEAR by them. When I worked at BBB some woman came in and bought like 20 to give to everyone she knew because hers had worked so well.

Never tried one myself.
#22 Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

People ABSOLUTELY SWEAR by them. When I worked at BBB some woman came in and bought like 20 to give to everyone she knew because hers had worked so well.

Never tried one myself.

You can do the same thing using a s. steel spoon
#23 Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that stainless steel (I've used a spoon) works great for about 5 minutes and then the garlic smell comes back. YMMV
#24 Old 07-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Banned

Just an observation, most flatware is 8-10% nickel ("18/8" or "18/10"). The things sold for this purpose appear to have no nickel ("18/0") perhaps this dictates the effectiveness?
#25 Old 07-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Banned

A few germs won't kill you. Just wash in a bit of warm water with some soap and dry.
#26 Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not good to run your house like an operating room. Your immune system needs to be exposed to lots of different kinds of antigens to prevent allergies and to give it "exercise". Your dishes only have to be clean enough not to make you sick. Warm, soapy water with rinsing and drying should be fine.
#27 Old 07-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

It's not good to run your house like an operating room. Your immune system needs to be exposed to lots of different kinds of antigens to prevent allergies and to give it "exercise". Your dishes only have to be clean enough not to make you sick. Warm, soapy water with rinsing and drying should be fine.

Actually, that sounds quite sensible

We have and do use a dishwasher, and we are glad to have one. Yes, they use a lot of water and energy, but we tend to have more than enough to put into it when it comes time to wash (I don't even like doing dishes when all I have to do is load the washer!) But, I am happy to have it to be able to clean my Cuisiart pieces. Before we lived here, I had to do those by hand and could never get them completely clean; the feed chute is the worst piece.

We also have a plastic board and just run it through the washer too. It gets clean enough for us. The only wooden board we have I use exclusively for bread-making. I rarely wash it. Usually, the bread scraper is good enough. Plus, that leaves all that good yeast in place for the next time I knead it
#28 Old 07-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Glass cutting boards are bad bad bad. Hell on knives. Glass is much harder than steel so you're going to end up with dull knives very quickly. Prolonged use will ruin your knives.
#29 Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Until I read this thread I'd always heard that hand washing got plates cleaner, coz you could acutally scrub them and all yourself. On the other subject, I hate glass chopping boards, horrible things.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#30 Old 07-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The first apartment I lived in also had a dishwasher. Now, I don't, though its probably for the best because I'm only one person and I'd be prone to wait until the dishwasher is full and run it and waste energy and hot water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentauros View Post

We have and do use a dishwasher, and we are glad to have one. Yes, they use a lot of water and energy ...

Actually, dishwashers are considerably more effective than hand washing. Here are a few pages:

Quote:
If dishes are pre-rinsed using a dishwasher pre-rinse cycle, approximately one gallon of water is used. Pre-rinsing in the sink under running water, however, uses up to 25 gallons of water for 5 minutes of pre-rinsing--a substantial difference.

http://www.joe.org/joe/2003february/rb3.shtml

Quote:
Hand wash vs. Dishwasher: You'll use up to 35 percent less water by doing a full load of dishes, which haven't been pre-rinsed, in your dishwasher instead of by hand. You can also save about 15 percent on total dishwasher energy use if you select the air-dry setting or open the dishwasher's door instead of using its drying cycle.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ev...ouse/tips.html

Quote:
(3) DISHWASHERS VERSUS HAND WASHING

A new study shows that handwashing dishes wastes up to ten times more water and energy than an economy dishwasher, without any significantly better effect being achieved.

Seventy-five volunteers from seven European countries were recruited by the University of Bonn, Germany to wash up a typical family load of 140 pots and plates coated with hardened egg, spinach and margarine.

To the surprise of Professor Rainer Stamminger, author of the test study, handwashing was found to use between 20 and 345 litres of water, and 1 to 12 kWh of energy. The average was 88 litres of water and 2.4kWh of energy, compared with a conventional European dishwasher that uses around 15 to 20 litres of water and 1kWh of electricity.

http://www.riversides.org/newwin/HNews/2003-02-19.html

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page