Need Your Help, Please! (where to job hunt) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

We are looking to relocate in the near future, and my husband is job hunting.

Our criteria for a new home is:

In the USA

Not in the South

Veg Friendly Town or City

If any of you love where you live, could you please post the names of some of the larger companies that may be located there? My dh has been in music retail for years and has general manager, operations, and sales experience. Great resume....job doesn't have to be in music (though that would be great.) He's looking at Gibson, Sony, Fender....etc.

Jobs get more tricky to find as you get higher on the corporate food chain.

I could get an admin job anywhere in the world. His is trickier.

THANKS A BILLION for any and all leads you could offer.

We're excited to move, and hope he can find something soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Where are you in NC? I go to Wilmington sometimes, and will be next week again.

You could take a look at Ithaca, which is not too far from NYC (about 3.5 hours), 1 hour South of Syracuse. They have always been a big veggie town. It's small, a bit pricey in-town, but since it's small, lots of rural places around that cost less.

I'm not so sure on what kind of work you could find there, but Cornell is there, which is an Ivy League school, so there are obviously some good jobs if you can land one.

The real good side is there are lots of vegetarian options there. Wegman's (like Harris Teeter) has a vegetarian hot buffet during the day, veggie sushi. There is the ABC Cafe which feels hippie-ish, but is all vegetarian except for an occasional shrimp dish. The Moosewood Restaurant (the source of the cookbooks) is there (I don't personally like their operation), There is a truly vegetarian friendly Thai place (they do not lie and put fish sauce in your food) called Sticky Rice, there is an excellent Indian restaurant Diamond's, and if Capital Corner is still there, it's a Chinese restaurant with lots of vegetarian options including a good selection of fake meat dishses.

If you like goth/industrial stuff, they have a G/I night on every Sunday which can be fun.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#3 Old 07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

What region of the US are you looking at? What is your budget like? What weather conditions do you want to avoid?

I would recommend San Fran/Berkeley, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Austin (though maybe that's too southern...), second Ithaca, Madison WI...

I'm sure there must be a list of veg-friendly cities somewhere online...
#4 Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, Oregon Amy and 99 - all those places are sitting right here on my wishlist.

He's putting together resumes right now to send to companies in Portland, OR and Syracuse.

You guys definitely have a feel for what I'm looking for. I even love dancing to goth/ind. They close down cool clubs here in Charlotte as soon as they open.

The powers that be are scared of anything left of center, I think. This is a horrible city.

Budget - depends on the job Jon can land. Cost of living in Chicago and NYC are indeed out of our range, though. Our lifestyle can be adjusted to suit a job he'll like, but we don't want our kids in the ghetto, either. What is the cost of living like in Oregon? I'm sure Ithica is still pricey cuz it's New York, but hopefully not so much as NYC.

I want to avoid the stupid south where it never rains or snows and is so humid you feel like you're going to die 7 months out of the year. I want OUT of dixieland. I like clouds and cold and summers that are pleasant.

Not so picky about city vs a funky little town...

I love Asheville, NC, I'd even stay in NC to live there, but so far no luck with jobs up that way.
#5 Old 07-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

If Chicago is out of your range Seattle would be too, Portland is less than those two somewhat, are you looking for median home price?
#6 Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

We've got an aunt and uncle in the Elmhurst area of Chicago, so suburbs wouldn't be so bad if the job didn't entail a long commute. My mil lived in Oak Park and commuted nearly 2 hours every morning to get downtown - normally a 20 minute trip with no traffic. Don't like the thought of that....

Again, home price would depend on salary....right now our house is paid for....but it technically belongs to my MIL so we'll have to rent at first till we get to know the area well enough to feel comfortable about where to buy.
#7 Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

Median home price in Portland is 211K vs 223K for Chicago. Portland is smaller though, there certainly are no 2 hour commutes (unless you live in a suburb that is past another suburb or something)
#8 Old 07-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Syracuse is a terrible place. I would not wish it on anyone. I've lived in and around it for most of my life. It's cheap, dirty, and not the center of a good time. You can buy a house around Syracuse from $5,000 in crack central to $50,000 in okay neighborhoods, to even some nice fancy places in the $120,000 range. There are ajoined cities which all have different feels. Manlius is the posh town, lot of the millionaires are there. There is plenty of work in Syracuse though, because who wants to live here???

Ithaca is an hour away from Syracuse, so Syracuse is something accessable if you so desired. Ithaca is a small town that you could get 'cabin fever' in if you only stay there. Syracuse is the nearest big city, and Binghamton is the second (not a nice place either). Central NY is very cheap to live in, lots of rural areas. It's only NYC and surrounding counties that are expensive.

I really liked Wilmington, NC, but the cost of living versus the pay scale was just enough to let you survive and live out your existence working for someone. That is why I left Wilmington.

I've got friends in Portland Oregon, one is a quasi-vegetarian, and another is a true vegetarian. I've not heard any complaints yet, but I'll ask them about it. At least Portland has a change of the seasons.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#9 Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks a million.....this is feedback much needed 'cause I'm flying blind.

Now I can cross Syracuse off, add Ithica, Portland...

I had a friend in Wilmington who said much the same thing.

I think most beach towns all have the cost of living vs. income imbalance....

What about Garden City, NY?'

There's something there he's looking into....
#10 Old 07-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Look at Madison too!

And Remi, i think you're quoting 3-bd 2-ba houses. I bought a 2-bd 1-ba 900sqft house in inner-SE portland in 2003 for $127k ... so... it's not SO expensive really. Average house that size in that area now is probably around the $150k mark.
#11 Old 07-06-2005, 06:18 AM

Canada, the U.S. is rapidly becoming nowhere to be.
#12 Old 07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I would jump the border in a minute, but all the jobs in Canada require one to be bilingual, and we aren't (and don't have time to learn just now.)

Unfortunately, we do need a bigger house right now (at least till my daughter flies the coop - she graduates in 2007.) 3 bedrooms for sure, and that's assuming we'll keep all my husband's music equipment in our bedroom or living room. We are spoiled now in our 5 br house, but I'm sick of cleaning it and am looking mucho forward to a smaller place, even if I do have guitars and amps all over my room. I also want a place with a miniscule yard, as we despise yardwork and taking care of this dumb giant yard we have now is a horror.

I'm excited.

And impatient!

And Madison is somewhere we're DEFINITELY going to look!
#13 Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Forgettin' something?

Come to sunny Santa Monica, California!

Very veg friendly. In addition to all the regular markets, there is a Trader Joe's, a BIG Whole Foods mkt, two Wild Oats mkts (one of them two blocks from my apt), and the local co-op. There's a GREAT Indian restaurant practically around the corner from me, and a completely vegetarian Indian restaurant about a mile away. There are also other veg*an restaurants galore in the SM/LA area.

Great climate: not too hot, not too cold. I love those ocean breezes. You can go swimming at the beach and then head to the mountains to ski.

Hubby can find work in the music/entertainment industry; there's always jobs to be had there.

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Minneapolis!!!!
#15 Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Delaware, oh wait, never mind-it sucks
#16 Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Beantown, baby!!!
#17 Old 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Let's turn this into a betting pool.

I'm searching Monster in all these areas (except Delaware and Syracuse!)

I'm excited to see where we end up....

I'll update as he gets interviews and certainly let you guys know where we land.

Also, feel free to tell me where NOT to go.

I wish someone had warned me about Charlotte, NC.

Yuck.
#18 Old 07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

Let's turn this into a betting pool.

I'm searching Monster in all these areas (except Delaware and Syracuse!)

I'm excited to see where we end up....

I'll update as he gets interviews and certainly let you guys know where we land.

Also, feel free to tell me where NOT to go.

I wish someone had warned me about Charlotte, NC.

Yuck.

... and the winner of the betting pool gets to take you and your husband to dinner at the best vegan restaurant in their town.

*this space not for sale*
#19 Old 07-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Look at Madison too!

And Remi, i think you're quoting 3-bd 2-ba houses. I bought a 2-bd 1-ba 900sqft house in inner-SE portland in 2003 for $127k ... so... it's not SO expensive really. Average house that size in that area now is probably around the $150k mark.

The "median house" if there were such a think is probably 3/2, but I am certainly counting on being able to get something under $200K unless I want to wait several years.

What neighborhood was your house in, if you don't mind my asking? (or near what intersection or however it can best be described) and did you like the neighborhood?

If I stay here I think I can buy my first place without worrying about schools etc but I do want quiet respectful neighbors and an easy commute downtown.
#20 Old 07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

... and the winner of the betting pool gets to take you and your husband to dinner at the best vegan restaurant in their town.

I'll take an VBer who moves to Portland (or is in Portland on business/vacation for that matter) to dinner.
#21 Old 07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

I meant to ask, you were asking about companies.

When you say "music retail" you mean a shop that sells instruments or the office of a chain of shops that does so?
#22 Old 07-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

So, if I move to Portland you will take me out to dinner?

This is an interesting thread as soon I will be relocating as well. Of all the places we have looked at Portland is our favorite. Madison Wisconsin is actually on the list...there are some other towns too. But none that I really care about.
#23 Old 07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.craigslist.org/

use the list of cities to the right to search the jobs for that city-page
#24 Old 07-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

So, if I move to Portland you will take me out to dinner?

Yes.
#25 Old 07-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

I would jump the border in a minute, but all the jobs in Canada require one to be bilingual, and we aren't (and don't have time to learn just now.)

When did that happen?

<<<isn't bilingual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page