what IS funny? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

Im kind of wondering what everyone's sense of humor is like.

I have a weird sense of humor. I find british-style humor to be funny because it makes no sense (Monty Python, Eddie Izzard)

I don't get easily offended and I pretty much laugh at everything...I know when something will or won't be appropriate, but my belief is that being able to laugh in the face of problems that people get their panties bunched up about just makes it easier to deal with them...most of the time. this is why I love family guy so much, it really pushes the envelope and nothing is sacred. that show kills me.

what is NOT funny...I'm all for randomness but I think some people are just bad at it. Monkeys: not very funny. Cheese: also not funny. If someone says "OMGzZ I'm SO RANDOM hahahah PICKLES AND MONKEY DANCING!" I will not laugh. If you are going to be random, be REALLY random.I don't have a great example for it.....but I'm pretty good at it usually.

so...what makes YOU laugh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Anything random or ditzy. I love laughing at myself. Or when you try to make cookies and you use big grained salt and the cookies come out horrible. I laughed at myself for hours. random is good.
#3 Old 06-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

very cynical
#4 Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Good puns can make me laugh. Well thought-out jokes. Sometimes randomness, but it depends on who is doing it. Some people can make randomness really funny.

I don't find laughing at the misfortune of others funny, or people getting hurt funny.
#5 Old 06-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a dark, twisted sense of humor. I think completely ridiculous things are funny too. Like, when Will Farrell in Anchorman says that San Diego means a Whale's Vagina in German.
#6 Old 06-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Being a true australian, I have a very self-deprecating sense of humour.

I don't like contrived/scripted humour very much, i.e commercial breakfast radio.

I do love sarcasm and can at times be very sarcastic and cynical which can offend some people who don't know me very well, especially those who upon first meeting me comment on how "cute" and "sweet" I am.
#7 Old 06-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

I have a dark, twisted sense of humor. I think completely ridiculous things are funny too. Like, when Will Farrell in Anchorman says that San Diego means a Whale's Vagina in German.

hahaha i do too. i laugh at weird, wrong things sometimes.

that movie was hilarious because it was so ridiculous.
#8 Old 06-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I like strange observations or most British humour.

There is some humour I'm not fond of or don't even find funny . Comedians who use aggressiveness, putting people down excessively, or repetative aggressive cursing are annoying and not funny to me. Also some comedy I just find annoying for some reason (such as Jim Carey)

I guess it all comes down to the actual "humour" whether I find it funny or not

Funny

Mr Bean (or "Black Adder")

Jerry Seinfeld

John Ritter

Conon O'Brien

Not Funny

Jim Carry

Eddy Murphy

that guy who crushes watermelons with sledgehammers .... huh?

------------------

I don't like contrived/scripted humour very much, i.e commercial breakfast radio.

--------------

Oh man ....most radio "personalites" are so unfunny. Actually commercial radio is so annoying to me I never listen to it.
#9 Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

On commercial radio most of the DJ's or whatever they are called now find discussing such topics as their FHM shoot, their kids bowel movements and pre-natal aerobics classes, or barbecue etiquette hilarious. And they always laugh at themselves which I find so arrogant.

On triple J, a government funded radio station, the former breakfast hosts Adam & Wil were hilarious. They weren't scripted and I would piss myself laughing whenever I listened to them. They complimented each other so well, but I'm not a fan of Wil on the Glasshouse [sorry you probably have no idea what I am talking about].

Another funny program they used to have was "Restoring the balance" because the ABC [which triple J is run by] was always being attacked for being too left-wing, so they got these pseudo-conservative radio hosts to run a 3 hour program weekly *****ing about the Labor party, dole bludgers and refugees. The funniest part was that although it was incredibly obvious they were taking the piss, heaps of peolpe thought they were serious and were really offended. That got axed though, unfortunately.

I enjoy political humour as long as I actually understand what they are talking about.
#10 Old 06-25-2005, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Douglas Adams.
#11 Old 06-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Banned

I go back and forth. Lately I have been really in to parodies of 80s pop songs or SPAM. I like political humor usually and, of course, I like anything Conan O'Brian does.
#12 Old 06-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by porvida View Post

Im kind of wondering what everyone's sense of humor is like.

I have a weird sense of humor. I find british-style humor to be funny because it makes no sense (Monty Python, Eddie Izzard)

I don't get easily offended and I pretty much laugh at everything...I know when something will or won't be appropriate, but my belief is that being able to laugh in the face of problems that people get their panties bunched up about just makes it easier to deal with them...most of the time. this is why I love family guy so much, it really pushes the envelope and nothing is sacred. that show kills me.

what is NOT funny...I'm all for randomness but I think some people are just bad at it. Monkeys: not very funny. Cheese: also not funny. If someone says "OMGzZ I'm SO RANDOM hahahah PICKLES AND MONKEY DANCING!" I will not laugh. If you are going to be random, be REALLY random.I don't have a great example for it.....but I'm pretty good at it usually.

so...what makes YOU laugh?

I laughed out loud when I read "PICKLES AND MONKEY DANCING!" so maybe I should just clam up.....
#13 Old 06-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty Johann View Post

Douglas Adams.

I would have to second that. I even enjoyed the recent movie.
#14 Old 06-25-2005, 03:25 AM

salad fingers makes me laugh
#15 Old 06-25-2005, 05:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

i'm the same way.
#16 Old 06-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

comedian: Robert Schimmel

movies: Clerks, Something About Mary, Monty Python

TV: the Young Ones, Fridays

book: Gallery of Regrettable Food

I get tickled at offensive jokes and body function references sometimes, too, but I try not to - I can be immature and I don't take things very seriously.
#17 Old 06-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I laughed out loud when I read "PICKLES AND MONKEY DANCING!" so maybe I should just clam up.....

I am with you on that ~Brandon!

Mentioning monkeys and pickles is really funny because on Thursday a friend got really drunk and made two REALLY funny random comments - one about pickles and the other about monkeys that had me laughing so hard I was crying (and I was not drunk!)

I love to laugh and think lots of stuff is funny - I don't discriminate when it comes to funny.
#18 Old 06-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I laugh at myself a lot because I'm so reediculously human it makes me crazy. What a challenge just to get past/over my own self.

I love/laugh at children. I am not at all cynical, but hopeful. I used to be very cynical though. But I've found recently that cynicism and sarcasm get on my nerves more than anything. And since I can be sarcastic every once in a while, I sometimes get on my own nerves Sarcasm is just flat out passive aggressive in my book, it's someone trying to be honest without actually being honest.

An example of something I found really funny. I was eating lunch in my classroom with half of my kids (my teacher had the other half in the cafeteria) and i had a bathroom emergency so I HAD to go. I used to classroom bathroom and told the kids I'd be right out. Our littlest pre-k, elizabeth, who's a little whip walked right up to me and said, "Ms. Bethanie, how are you going to fit your big butt on our little toilet?" OMG, I nearly died. My butt isn't that big, but the toilet IS tiny.

Also....once our classroom had a case of head lice, and everyone had to have their heads checked every week...this little girl in our class was talking to a friend about this, when her friend asked what the nurse was doing, she said, "She's checking for headlights."

Ya know...working with kids is just natural comedy to me, which is probably why I do it.

B
#19 Old 06-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I also liked the pickles and monkeys comment.
#20 Old 06-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a kind of cynical sense of humor, I find a lot of quirks funny. Has anyone here seen "Clay Pidgeons"? Vince Vaughn's character is pretty much f*ckin' hilarious to me. I like dark subjects (like serial killers, in that instance) twisted around into humor.

Porvida~ I knew exactly what you were talking about when you said what wasn't funny. Yeah, monkeys? cheese? that sh*t was hilaaaaaaarious among the girls who were obsessed with "rugrats" in 6th grade/this really annoying guy i know who's obsessed with "invader zim." I also find "hehehe I'm sooooooo random!" really really annoying and old.

i also LOVE family guy. I like some kind of..."offensive" humor.

I make up ridiculous scenarios with my friends that turn into huge inside jokes. Not so much joking about people i know, but the world, and all that jazz.
#21 Old 06-25-2005, 02:10 PM

Random is great. For example the other day, I was talking to my wife about how pale she was, and then she found this shirt that says, "Pale is the new tan" I died...it was great.

What's not funny, is when people get off by downing other people for one reason or another for something. I think that's just tasteless and humorless. Perhaps it just human nature to down others who aren't like us.
#22 Old 06-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like I have a similar sense of humor as you. I have a really quick wit, and enjoy the same. Snappy one liners and the such. I like British comedies (i LOVE eddie izzard!), I like thoughtful humor, clever dialog, I HATE slapstick!! Like any of Jim Carey's comedies I couldn't sit through. I don't think its funny when someone falls on his face. I don't think insults are very funny. As a NYer, I do enjoy my sarcasm. I do also, however, really enjoy monkeys.

<-ahem

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 06-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm... Sadly I do laugh when other people do silly things, but mostly they are laughing at themselves as well. It all depends really. Not everything funny makes me laugh and so on. Just depends on my mood and what I am thinking at the time.
#24 Old 06-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Banned

rabid, I so concur. Slapstick is not funny...people falling over banana peels, or all that america's funniest home videos crap. I don't like it for whatever reason.

and I suppose monkeys ARE funny....when they do sign language.

*signing*

Human: Hey, you're a monkey.

Monkey: Yeah.

H: So what's it like, being a monkey?

M: Not bad, not bad. what's it like being a human? *middle finger*

H: Pretty Good.

M: Can I have a banana?

H: No, I have no bananas...on this day.

M: You have no bananas? Well if you have no bananas I'm not f***ing talking to you. Give me a f***ing banana. Give me a f***ing banana. *middle finger*

H: There you go.

M: *munch* All right, what'dyou want to know?

H: Well, how does the monkey...community interact?

M: Uh, in the usual way...Give me another banana.

H: No. No more bananas.

M: I've got a gun.

H: You didn't even SIGN that time!

M:.......I know. We've been able to talk! We've been talking for years! But when you guys come we go "ooh ooh ooh" And when you piss off we go "Well, he was a bit weird, wasn't he?" We have a posh British accent. "What do you think, Samantha?" "I dont know, I don't really like Soho." Monkey see monkey do, yes. I think he's more Monkey Do.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people and monkeys do too (brackets) if they've got a gun."

*falls over* GOD I LOVE EDDIE IZZARD. I realize that makes sense to none but who knows him....but I amused myself.
#25 Old 06-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

heh. He rocks. I love his "sign" for banana too.

I saw EI in a performance of a Day in the Death of Joe Egg (a VERY black comedy), in which he was playing someone else's character, and yet still managed to work in a bit or two of his own act, which was hysterical.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#26 Old 06-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

<<< full of sarcasm

so that always makes me laugh. i lalso like deep jokes and little sarcastic comments. I think ti's awesome when i see someone i know make a comment like that and whoever it was adressed to doesn't get it - the funniest thing in the world but those are things you end up saying / hearing to/from people you've known for a while. I love busting someone's guts about one little thing that happened a while ago or that's not important at all - for example almost every time we see my bf's best friend we throw comments at him about him being short. it's doesn't make much sence but it's hillarious IMO (especially including the fact that he doesn't even take it seriously and always has a nice comeback)

i like it when humor is kinda rude and f-ed up. over-the-top stuff is great. no matter what subject it's on, i even like some rasist and sexist jokes. the last one i heard this racer guy on TV saying that " all women should wear white like the rest of kitchen apliances" it's messed up but funny. I also love South Park and watch dumb comedies.

so i don't really know what my sence of humor is - i'd probably say it's offensive and sarcastic.
#27 Old 06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

i admit, I will laugh at sexist/etc jokes....I am female, and pro feminism and I still laugh at them. I like messed up stuff :-D
#28 Old 06-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the things little kids say.

I am from a family full of Pollocks and I love to listen and laugh at some of the stories they tell me.

And I love listening to the stories of my fathers childhood. He got into so many funny situations. I die laughing everytime!

I love laughing at my friends. We get into goofy situations all the time. And everything we do is random and stupid. Everything is hilarious when you are on a sugar high and with friends.

I am not one for jokes though. Most time I don't understand them or they are just not funny. Its that way with me for most jokes. And a lot of jokes are the same thing just worded differently. Potty humor no longer does it for me. Except for this one time when it was just the funniest thing I have ever heard ((potty jokes)) but that was only the one time.

And I love love love the cop/donut jokes. My sister, mom, and I always crack on cops about their love of donuts. The one time my family and I were invited to a friends party, who has just graduated and had just became a cop. For a present we bought 2 dozen donuts for him. We even wrapped the boxes up and everything. I almost died from laughter.

I don't know, I just lub to laugh and I find a lot of stuff funny.
#29 Old 06-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

NO POTTY HUMOR!!!!! boo.
#30 Old 06-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I enjoy just about all the types of humor everyone else already listed. Incredibly cheesey humor also makes me crack up.. especially if it pertains to Halloween/horror, e.g:

Grandpa Munster: What smells so good?

Herman: I cut myself shaving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page