Aging Out - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Ever wonder what happens to kids who don't get adopted?

I first heard a radio program about this documentary. I have it on my DVR but haven't watched it yet. It's the story of 5 kids who "age out" of the foster care system. They are on their own at 18 but do get some support until 21. But they don't have the benefits of living with parents if things are rough, etc. I know many people here probably fended just fine at that age without help from their folks, but these are kids with serious problems to begin with. From what I heard there it is a mixed bag of tragedy and triumph and at least one person they follow ended up murdered after the filming of the documentary.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/agingout/index-hi.html

What can we do to help these kids? Have you been a foster parent? Or considering it in addition to or instead of having your own children? Are the kids really all just "too messed up" for the average person?

http://www.adoptuskids.org is a site for finding kids to adopt. Just not blue-eyed pink and white infants, but older kids, kids with diabilities, etc. They have a search button under "Meet the Children".

We may not agree on when "life" begins, but I think we all agree it doesn't end at birth.

ETA- Here is the radio discussion http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4662990
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Back when I was a teen, a friend of mine was in foster care. Sometimes she had foster parents and sometimes she lived at a group home of some sort. She never talked about it much and we eventually lost touch.
#3 Old 06-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing they need are foster parents who are dead serious about helping a child, and not only fostering for a check that will be sent to them every month. Foster children need stability. Social workers need fewer case loads so they could arrange to visit children more often, and make sure they are safe and being treated fairly. I was a foster kid for a couple of years. I had a family who actually put locks on their refrigerator and cabinets so I wouldn't eat their food. I was only allowed to eat during designated meal times and drink "four fingers" of juice at every meal while their biological children ate and drank with abandon in front of me. I had another family who would lock me out of their house in my nightgown for hours at a time if I got too "emotionally charged". Yeah, I would have my moments, but I had lost my mom, my house, my brother, and everything I had every known in a span of three months. I think what foster kids need is proper support from well supervised, quality foster parents.
#4 Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I was licky to get into a good home as a baby! I was just too cute! I was only going to stay the hollidays but they kept me!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, well I was brown, angst ridden, and dealing with grief. I was the last thing anyone wanted.
#6 Old 06-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

I was the blond ******* child. But my grandparents took me in.

When I became the red-head, they wished they didn't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page