Lest we forget - Anzac Day. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Banned

Didn't Mel Gibson star in a movie protraying the battle?
#3 Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 PM

I dont think so.

And I find it disrespectful that that is all you have to post in this thread.
#4 Old 04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

Um..huh? It's similar to "Rememberance Day" in Canada. And as it isn't a well known day to many people outside of your area, I was asking, quite sincerely, is that the event that was depicited in a movie that crossed my mind.

No different then asking if Hamburger Hill in whatever movie was based on Vietnam.

I apologize if you were offended, because it was meant as a educational question.
#5 Old 04-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Banned

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/

The cinamatic version of Gallipoli. That's whaat I was thinking of.
#6 Old 04-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, Gallipoli. It was a good film, and sheds light on a major WWI event that not many people in the US learn about.
#7 Old 04-25-2005, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder, Do Americans have anything like ANZAC day? I mean, WTF is Flag day???

I my opinion, ANZAC day is a lot more then a remembrance day for war dead.
#8 Old 04-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Yes, it's always been more than just a day to remember war dead or commemorate a particular battle. I also found the Mel Gibson comment slightly off before you further went into what you meant by it. I think it was the rolly eyes.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
A full 10% of the New Zealand population (then just under 1 million) served overseas during World War I, and New Zealand had the highest casualty and death rate per capita of any country involved in the war. Australia had the highest casualty rate of any military involved in the war.

I had no idea!
#10 Old 04-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

The Gallipoli campaign was also important because it was the plan of Winston Churchill. The fact that Churchill was inextricably associated with this disaster was one of the reasons that the British people were reluctant to have him become Prime Minister on the eve of WWII. Put another way, the "baggage" of Gallipoli made the British even slower to react to the Nazi threat during the '30s and early '40s.

Quote:
Gallipoli was one of the Allies great disasters in World War One. Gallipoli was the plan thought up by Winston Churchill to end the war early by creating a new war front that the Central Powers could not cope with.

On November 25th 1914, Winston Churchill suggested his plan for a new war front in the Dardanelles to the British governments War Council. On January 15th 1915, the War Council gave its agreement and British troops in Egypt were put on alert.

However, the overall campaign was a disaster of the first order. Over 200,000 Allied casualties occurred with many deaths coming from disease. The number of Turkish deaths is not clear but it is generally accepted that they were over 200,000.

Before the Gallipoli campaign even got started, Lloyd George had prophetically written:

Expeditions which are decided upon and organised with insufficient care generally end disastrously.

After the end of the campaign, opinions were divided. Sir Edward Grey and Lord Slim (who fought at Gallipoli) were scathing in their criticism. Slim called those who had been in command at the campaign the worst in the British Army since the Crimean War. Despite the losses, Churchill remained a defender of what had gone on as was Hamilton.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...20-%201915.htm
#11 Old 04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I am sorry I didn't know about this. my history education is kind of americacentric. Thank you for posting the sites.
#12 Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this the thread of when in hell will Danny answer my pm days ?

I only pm you with sheep for goodness sakes I can't think why you'd not answer
#13 Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Yes, it's always been more than just a day to remember war dead or commemorate a particular battle. I also found the Mel Gibson comment slightly off before you further went into what you meant by it. I think it was the rolly eyes.

In Krista's defense, those aren't rolly eyes. That smilie is called think! The eyeroll smiley is this one

I know FT doesn't need me to stick up for her, but I hate being misunderstood myself, soo...

Yeah. Happy Anzac Day. I need to go back and read the links and see what its about now.
#14 Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

This is news to me... thanks for sharing.
#15 Old 04-26-2005, 01:59 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Ah... ok. I thought that was rolly eyes smiley mark II for ever so long. heh

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#16 Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 AM
Banned

ANZAC cove sure was left in a deplorable state by the thousands of thoughtless litterbugs that went to pay their respects. But heck, Aussies died there so they'd have the freedom to do so.
#17 Old 04-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Did anyone go to an ANZAC service? I didn't, but I was listening to John Williamson's "Digger's of the Anzac" and it kind of brought home the significance of the day.
#18 Old 04-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't go to a service. Nice thread DK
#19 Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

ANZAC cove sure was left in a deplorable state by the thousands of thoughtless litterbugs that went to pay their respects. But heck, Aussies died there so they'd have the freedom to do so.

Yeah I hate litterbugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page