Will you be cremated or buried?? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Have you decided on being buried or cremated?
Yep, I'm going to be buried 0 0%
Yep, I'm going to be cremated 0 0%
I've decided to do something totally different and will explain 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Curious.

I'm on the fence and am confused on what to do. I want to write something out in case I die as to whether I want to be cremated or buried.

For me, I hate the thought of being burned. I've had 3rd degree burns before and it hurts like hell. Some say, but you'll be dead and won't feel it. I'm not 100% convinced because how would you verify that? It's not like dead people can tell you how they feel.

I do like the idea of having my ashes spread somewhere beautiful in some type of ceremony. But, no one will have a place to visit and remember me if they want like they would if I were in a grave.

I don't like the idea of being buried and slowly rotting. And what if no one ever comes to visit? Isn't that sad? I'm thinking in a couple of hundred years, when we are out of places to bury people and there are no more of my kin around to even know who I am much less find me in a graveyard, I'll be dug up and thrown away anyhow.

I don't like the idea of my blood being drained and then being filled with embalming fluid. Plus, what if someone does something freaky to me while I'm being prepped? Again, you could say I wouldn't feel it but I'm not so sure. I haven't had a chance to ask someone who's experienced being dead for a great length of time.

Anyhow, I'm interested in what you're feeling are regarding being buried vs being cremated. Seriously, if you've thought about it would you let me know why you decided either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Banned

There is a chance I may be cremated before I die! I think I would prefer to be cremated. It seems to be more economical than burial, and I don't want my family to have any added expense. Let's hope they hold off until I'm dead!
#3 Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

When my time to go comes around, I want any parts of me that can be of use to someone else to be harvested, and the rest of me can be incinerated.
#4 Old 04-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

When my time to go comes around, I want any parts of me that might be of use to someone else to be harvested, and the rest of me can be incinerated.

I second that. Plus - there's not enough room to bury everyone!!! Save a bit of the land for the living, I say
#5 Old 04-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

Cremated. I know of too many people that want to wee-wee on my grave.
#6 Old 04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Cremated. I want my ashes to be scattered
#7 Old 04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Beginner

I want to be cremated myself. I don't really understand the point of buying this huge coffin and buring (SP?) someone in the ground. It just seems like a waste of space to me. Besides, I like the thought of my body burning away and the spirit being released by the fire. (But I've been told I tend to over-romantisize everything, sooo...)
#8 Old 04-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Cremated. I know of too many people that want to wee-wee on my grave.

#9 Old 04-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Pfft. I want people wailing and sobbing and throwing themselves on my coffin at my funeral.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to be cremated. I'd like my husband to be cremated and put in my jar with me. .. but he's not so sure. He thinks he'd rather be burried. In that case, if I go first, my jar will be burried with him. If he goes first.. well we'll work something out so that we can be together. Sappy, I know, but I don't care. That's how we feel.
#11 Old 04-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I want every usable part of me to go to someone else who needs it and then I'd like to be cremated. My dad was cremated last year and it's comforting, in a weird way, to have his ashes around instead of having to go visit a piece of land. I don't know if I want to be scattered though. Maybe put me in a pretty urn surrounded by plants. Or my ashes could be mixed with the soil under a rose bush or other plant and I'd become part of that plant. Talk about romaticism!
#12 Old 04-13-2005, 01:17 PM

I understand that if you are cremated you still have the option of having a wake. They'll let you borrow the house coffin for the day. Creepy huh?
#13 Old 04-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention that I want my organs harvested first. I won't be needing them anymore.
#14 Old 04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Beginner

I always thought they cremated you in a coffin. Do they just chuck you on the fire or somethign??
#15 Old 04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

MsRuthieB, our thoughts on this subject have made me profoundly uneasy. I've just decided to be mummified like the ancient Egyptians. Sure, they remove your brains through your nose with a spoon, but you get them back in a little jar. The dry desert environment keeps your body well-preserved, and you get to be wrapped in sweet-smelling herbs and balms, and have servants mummified with you, and food and stuff placed in your tomb. And hieroglyphics to look at for the next few centuries, until someone comes along and puts you in a museum.

Come to think of it, the museum doesn't even sound bad -- people would come to visit all the time, even if they are not your family. You wouldn't be lonely.
#16 Old 04-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Nova - I think they put you in like a big metal tray and then push you into a big oven. Parts of you are separated, like the carbon and bigger bone part. They take some carbon out of the ashes given to the family because carbon tend to darken the ashes. Mentally, people see lighter ashes and they associated it with being more pure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
#17 Old 04-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post

I always thought they cremated you in a coffin. Do they just chuck you on the fire or somethign??

They put you in a special cremation box made of stiff cardboard to be cremated so techinically the ashes are of you and the box. They pick out all the bones and hard bits and give the family the remaining ashes.
#18 Old 04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Lmao, love the mummy idea.
#19 Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom always said that she wanted to be stuffed and mounted and she could be passed around to all her children on a rotating basis. She said it was fine if we decorated her for the holidays too. Nothing like mom standing in the corner lighting up like a Christmas tree or wearing bunny ears at Easter.
#20 Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

If I die before my husband I want to be stuffed and put in the bedroom so he'll feel guilty about moving on.

Yes, I'm just that possesive and evil.
#21 Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM

I had consider donating my body to Body World . Then I could travel to different places and always have visitors. Sort of like a modern day mummy, right Borealis? Plastisized parts. There a long waiting list though to become part of the show.
#22 Old 04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Beginner

Mollycat - that's hilarious - I'm going to suggest it to my mom
#23 Old 04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

I had consider donating my body to Body World . Then I could travel to different places and always have visitors. Sort of like a modern day mummy, right Borealis? Plastisized parts. There a long waiting list though to become part of the show.

That would be a good alternative, too!

Though I don't know if I want to be nakey for eternity.
#24 Old 04-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to be cremated, I do not want to come back as a zombie People can have all my organs though.
#25 Old 04-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

Oh, I wouldn't mind becoming a zombie, I know brains are not vegan, but there are some people who diserve it.
#26 Old 04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

brrrraaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnnssssssss
#27 Old 04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Banned

Cremation, definitely (after donating organs). It's cheaper and you don't have to buy a plot somewhere.

I'm looking at the Neptune Society (www.neptunesociety.com), since funeral homes still charge an arm and a leg (ha ha, just a little funeral home humor there) for cremation services. I mean, they're ridiculous.

I don't care what happens with my remains afterward, but my husband wants to be cremated and then when his dog and his cat die, have *them* cremated and all mixed together. My hand to God, that's what he wants.

Well, at least he doesn't want to be made into a LifeGem (www.lifegem.com).
#28 Old 04-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

I want to be cremated, I do not want to come back as a zombie People can have all my organs though.

Word.

I sincerely would prefer to be cremated also. It's fine if somebody wants my inner workings or organs or whatever. Why would I still want a spleen if I didn't have to have one anymore, right?

I figure I will leave it up to my family as to what becomes of my ashen self afterwards. Scattered sounds better than sitting in a vase for eternity. I'm sure that my ashes would probably find some way to be claustrophobic in there.
#29 Old 04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

I hope my family keeps my cats from knocking my urn over!
#30 Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder what will happen when people are no longer interested in Body World? Will all those bodies end up in a dumpster?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page