Stanford's Folding@Home Project - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

My BIL wants me to get involved in a project he's been involved in for a while now...

http://folding.stanford.edu/

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone involved? Is it worthwhile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

Involved: yes

Worthwhile: yes

The thread I started on this about a month ago died a quick death.

I would have thought more people here would be interested in a non vivisection approach to curing disease.
#3 Old 03-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Baby Love

I read the site, but I still don't understand the purpose.
#4 Old 03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Some of this was over my head, but a very close friend of mine has a sister who was diagnosed with ALS two years ago and probably doesn't have much time left...It's interesting to see that steps are actually being taken that would make a difference...if not for her then for someone like her.

B
#5 Old 03-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

aw bethanie, I'm SO sorry to hear about your friend's sister. My dad died of ALS in 2002 so I know exactly what a terrible, horrible disease it is.

OK I'm going to do it. Remi, sorry I didn't see your thread about it before starting this one. I just read it though and you sold me.
#6 Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

Just to recap the goals of the project for the sake of this thread.

As part of normal life processes proteins "fold", folding at home aims to study this phenomenon through the use of computer simulations. If you participate you are donating your spare computer cycles to that end. The folding at home client runs in the background on your computer at a very low priority so it will never slow down anything else you are doing, it does most of its work when you aren't doing anything.

The benefit of the project is that it should dramatically increase understanding of how, why, and when proteins misfold. Protein misfolding causes several diseases including BSE, alzheimers, and several forms of cancer.

The faq at the FAH site is excellent and should clear up any concerns, questions anyone would have about running the program. To the extent that people have questions the faq doesn't answer, pm me and if I can't answer it I will try to find the answer.
#7 Old 03-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds quite worthwhile indeed .
#8 Old 03-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's worthwhile but keep in mind it isn't going to stop any experiments on animals. They have to discover these proteins in the first place. And computers are incapable of making original discoveries...they can only do the math. Ideas and original experimentation have to be carried out by human beings...on test subjects, human or non-human.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page