Wyoming May Ban Facial Piercings for Restaurant Workers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=580212

Quote:
CHEYENNE, Wyo. Mar 14, 2005 As if the hair in your salad wasn't bad enough, a city health inspector said there had been "several cases" of tongue rings and other facial jewelry found in the food in the city's restaurants.

It was enough to persuade the Governor's Food Safety Council to recommend banning facial jewelry for restaurant workers who prepare food perhaps becoming the first state in the country to do so.

"We've had several cases of old ladies finding tongue rings and rings and whatnot in their food," Cecil testified. "We actually had a lady at one of our finer restaurants in town and she found a tongue ring."

In approving the regulation, the food safety council said nose, tongue and lip piercings were health hazards because a piercing that found its way into food could spread a staph infection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2005, 04:35 PM

At my job (packing in a supermarket bakery) I'm not allowed to wear ANY jewellery (including earrings) or nail polish at all. Apparently its regulation. Seems fair enough.

Wtf I dont get how tongue rings get into it! You'd notice it falling out! That's so ew! Yuck!
#3 Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

most places around here only allow ear piercings, no more than 2 in one ear .... which is the stpidest thing i've ever heard
#4 Old 03-14-2005, 04:56 PM

But that's based on uniform not health and saftety!
#5 Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

wtf? it's not like tongue rings are just dangling there... has anyone ever had facial jewelry fall out???? The only jewelry I've ever had fall out are earrings with the 'fish hook' backs on them. Certainly no nose or eyebrow jewelry (never had a tongue piercing but come on... )

I think this is just a stupid excuse. I'd like to see just what those "little old ladies" found. And how'd they know it was a tongue ring?
#6 Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Several cases of tongue rings falling out into food?!?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I'd like to see just what those "little old ladies" found. And how'd they know it was a tongue ring?

What a "doubting Thomas" you are, Amy!

For the record, I don't believe I've ever seen a tongue ring, so I probably wouldn't recognize one even if it were dropped on my plate.
#8 Old 03-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah. one thing my dad certainly instilled in me is skepticism/cynicism. not always good traits.

This just sounds like a way for legislators to be able to discriminate against a fashion trend they don't like. Honestly, I don't think a lot of adults (esp 60+) would know what most modern body jewelry was if it were handed to them.
#9 Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I can see such a regulation from a purely safety point of view, having worked in kitchens. The last thing you want is for your jewelry (watch, rings, bracelets) to get caught on one of those big Hobart mixers and you get pulled in. Sure, you probably wouldn't need to remove pierced items, but if they are only loosely afixed, then that's a problem right away. It's bad enough biting down on a rock that wasn't found in the beans before making the soup or whatever and then have something made out of metal show up.

Then again, I have known people to find bits of kitchen machinery in their food too (screws, nails.) I know I found a rubberband once; it was probably used on the broccoli bunches. To me, better safe than fired. Take all that stuff off before you go to work. It's common sense to remove it anyway, especially if you value it. And who's gonna care what you look like in the kitchen?

My first impression when I started to read that clip was more of the attitude management would take: "We don't want to scare/turn-off our more conservative patrons." And then they go and quote little old ladies. I have to wonder if any of it was their own jewelry falling off
#10 Old 03-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I know the article is talking about piercings falling into food, but often piercings are a breeding ground for bacteria and often workers touch them not giving it another thought and don't wash their hands, so it could be transferred to food. One place I work, we are only allowed 1 pair of earrings in (I think it's more appearance based than health and safety), and for cheffing we can only wear studs. I find it a pain, but you've just got to live with it.
#11 Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

That's fair enough, Nicky. Still doesn't explain how all the tongue bars are getting into the food!

#12 Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

The cattle they eat probably had nose rings so I don't see why they are making such a fuss.

Anyway.... they are free to eat elsewhere.
#13 Old 03-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post

I know the article is talking about piercings falling into food, but often piercings are a breeding ground for bacteria and often workers touch them not giving it another thought and don't wash their hands, so it could be transferred to food. One place I work, we are only allowed 1 pair of earrings in (I think it's more appearance based than health and safety), and for cheffing we can only wear studs. I find it a pain, but you've just got to live with it.

i agree that fresh (incompletely healed) piercings could be a "breeding ground" for bacteria but not completely healed ones. i've had both my nose and labret piercings for several years (11 in the case of the nose ring) and trust me, there' s nothing any more dangerous, bacteria-wise, about touching them than there is about touching your own face (which i'm sure many restaurant workers do through their shifts, without washing their hands afterwards).

i call shenanigans!
#14 Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 AM

Hepatitis can be spread through piercings.
#15 Old 03-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Banned

#16 Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any facial piercings, but I have more than the normal number of earrings, and I can't imagine them falling out into food. Nor would I touch them (even though they are healed) while preparing food for anyone other than myself.

I can't imagine a tongue ring falling out into food without someone noticing. At most, a bead might fall from a CBR in an eyebrow or something, but not a tongue ring.

I think it's just an excuse to ban something they don't like.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#17 Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

"*gasp* A tongue ring!? Oh no! Ban all piercings! All waiters must shave their heads! And are you...are you scratching your groin while preparing my salad!?? NOOOO!!"

^ My little brother's dramatic reaction to the article. Point is, things happen. I cannot imagine a tongue ring falling into food. What was the waiter doing, salivating over the meal? I've head of people dropping and loosing things like cbr beads but my fishhook earrings have fallen from my ears millions of times. Are they banning all jewelry or just mods?

As if finding a job wasn't hard enough. Oy.
#18 Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Maybe the food prep people had a habit of licking the meals, and tongue rings were getting caught on things like gristle and stuff, and were getting ripped out.

#19 Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Maybe the food prep people had a habit of licking the meals, and tongue rings were getting caught on things like gristle and stuff, and were getting ripped out.

This is so incredibly gross on so many levels.
#20 Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Hepatitis can be spread through piercings.

hepatitis can be spread lots of ways. one variant can be spread through tiny drops of SPITTLE landing on your food/drink/mucous membranes. piercings that are done properly and safely are safer, infection-wise, than tripping and skinning your knee on a downtown sidewalk.
#21 Old 03-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

What a lame article.

*touches nose ring...proceeds to make sandwich
#22 Old 03-15-2005, 02:02 PM

As far as I know, the only strain of the 5 hepatitis strains identified that can be transmitted through spit is Hep B (the least damaging). I could be wrong though.

Not saying that it would happen, but if someones ring fell out of their pierced body part you could catch other strains of hepatitis if the person is infected. Heck, if the person that has Hep A doesn't wash their hands properly after crapping they have a huge opportunity to spread the disease.

That said, I don't want anything falling out of someones body to end up in my food. I don't see that as a frequent occurance though. I can't imagine it would happen often.

I'm glad I don't eat out much. I don't trust people enough in the restraurant industry to think they would care about me even enough to wash their hands.
#23 Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

spread the disease.

That said, I don't want anything falling out of someones body to end up in my food. I don't see that as a frequent occurance though. I can't imagine it would v

Trust me...it can't possibly be worse than a bandaid
#24 Old 03-15-2005, 02:10 PM

Yuck. Nasty thought. A bandaid? Makes me want to puke.
#25 Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As far as I know, the only strain of the 5 hepatitis strains identified that can be transmitted through spit is Hep B (the least damaging). I could be wrong though.

Not saying that it would happen, but if someones ring fell out of their pierced body part you could catch other strains of hepatitis if the person is infected. Heck, if the person that has Hep A doesn't wash their hands properly after crapping they have a huge opportunity to spread the disease.

That said, I don't want anything falling out of someones body to end up in my food. I don't see that as a frequent occurance though. I can't imagine it would happen often.

I'm glad I don't eat out much. I don't trust people enough in the restraurant industry to think they would care about me even enough to wash their hands.

hepatitis is spread through the exchange of body fluids, not piercings. so if an infected restaurant worker's tongue ring fell out of their mouth while they were preparing food, yes, you could end up with hepatitis because some of their spit (or blood, if it was a still-healing piercing) could end up in your system. but that danger exists whether the restaurant worker has facial piercings or not. they could cough, sneeze, get a trace of blood from accidentally biting their lip into your food. i don't see how having facial piercings increases that risk at all, unless, as i said, they are not fully healed.
#26 Old 03-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

i agree that fresh (incompletely healed) piercings could be a "breeding ground" for bacteria but not completely healed ones. i've had both my nose and labret piercings for several years (11 in the case of the nose ring) and trust me, there' s nothing any more dangerous, bacteria-wise, about touching them than there is about touching your own face (which i'm sure many restaurant workers do through their shifts, without washing their hands afterwards).

i call shenanigans!

I wasn't saying that touching your face isn't bad either! hehe

Touching your face, your hair, your bum, picking/blowing your nose, or your ears and then not washing your hands, is just as bad as touching your piercings. But what happens if you have an extremely itchy face during your shift, it's gonna take you twice as long to make that salad

My pastry tutor said that, we always sieve flour, one of the reasons being that their could be physical objects in it.
#27 Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Scratch with your sholder.. it's what I do
#28 Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

hepatitis is spread through the exchange of body fluids, not piercings. so if an infected restaurant worker's tongue ring fell out of their mouth while they were preparing food, yes, you could end up with hepatitis because some of their spit (or blood, if it was a still-healing piercing) could end up in your system. but that danger exists whether the restaurant worker has facial piercings or not. they could cough, sneeze, get a trace of blood from accidentally biting their lip into your food. i don't see how having facial piercings increases that risk at all, unless, as i said, they are not fully healed.

I understand hepatitis all too well. Been studying it for the past year. Not trying to argue with you here, but it's possible to spead it through so many different ways depending on if it's Hep,A B C D and E. There is a possiblility of spreading it through piercings, depending on where it's coming from. For example, one can become infected with Hep C from coming in contact with the nasal membranes...I'm thinking nose piercings here.

One of the questions, among many they ask when trying to pin point where you may have contracted it is "have you ever snorted cocaine?" They want to know if you ever shared a straw, dollar bill, etc. with someone. But you're correct that it's probaby the least possible way to get it from someone working in a restaurant..through piercings I mean.
#29 Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

i agree with what you're saying, ruthie. i think we're saying different things. you're only at risk for having hepatitis if you've contacted something, anything, with the hepatitis virus on it. i just don't think that facial piercings automatically = higher risk for disease than any other behaviours that restaurant workers (or anyone, really) engage in.
#30 Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm skeptical too. I don't know anyone who would let their piercing just fall out and be like, "Oh, well. I never really liked that piercing anyway." Jewelry is expensive. And how does a tongue RING fall out? A barbell, I could see, but captive bead rings are really hard to get out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page