Punk rock vegan cookbook! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

So exciting! I just had to share this with everyone. Yesterday, my work got in a shipment of "Please Feed Me; A Punk Vegan Cookbook". I've been waiting for it to come in for a while and it's finally here, got my copy today. It's the first really cool thing we've gotten in a LONG time. It's not terribly comprehensive and the recipes can be a little trite and mundane, but most of them are very quick, cheap, and simple, yet still creative (the target demographic being angry, young, and poor punk rock/gutter kids). What makes the book extra cool and interesting is that on each page of recipes, there are all sorts of neat memoirs for really good bands like NOFX, Vandals, Fugazi, Mr. T Experience, and a billion others. Lots of fun. I've got to write to HQ and the sales analysists to tell them good job, and to get in more veggie stuff! Check it out! And.. just.. yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I head about this book at Interpunk I think. Maybe I'll try to get my hands on it so I can browse. I seem to be it's audience (young, poor, angry and "punk"). Yay! I love down to earth, simple veggie books.
#3 Old 03-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

sounds teriffic, i'm more of a tree hugger than a punk but it still sounds great

how much is it ?
#4 Old 03-12-2005, 12:56 AM
Banned

Interesting to note NOFX is listed there, especially because they have songs that make fun of vegetarians and sing pro-meat songs as well... I don't understand the connection.
#5 Old 03-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Interesting to note NOFX is listed there, especially because they have songs that make fun of vegetarians and sing pro-meat songs as well... I don't understand the connection.

AFAIK, they have changed their views, and one of the members organized some veg*n/AR compilation, etc.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 03-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone remember "Soy, Not Oi!" ? That was my first vegan cookbook
#7 Old 03-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

AFAIK, they have changed their views, and one of the members organized some veg*n/AR compilation, etc.

Hah, yes.. it's quite ironic. One of NOFX's early albums, Liberal Animation (pun on Animal Liberation) had lots of mentions of anti-AR and anti-veg*anism. Now, they have a few songs all about AR and environmental issues like "Clams Have Feelings Too" ("pigs smell bad, they roll in poo / but so do kids and elderly / I don't see you chop off an old man's feet, put them in a mason jar and pickle them") and "Franco Un-American" (I'm eating vegetation 'cause of Fast Food Nation.... I eat no breath mints 'cause they're from de-hooved horses") just to name a few. Fat Mike, the bassist and lead vocalist has been veg*an for at least 10-15 years (the band is on their 20th year or so) and I remember reading some good things about him on PETA's website.

Vicky, the book is about $16 (haha, also ironic that this particular book would cost so much) but I'm sure you could get it for a much lower price even after shipping at half.com or something.

Punkmommy.. I gotta check that one out too, and add it to the collection
#8 Old 03-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

Does anyone remember "Soy, Not Oi!" ? That was my first vegan cookbook

Ha. I remember that one.

Do remember 'bark and grass' 'zine cookbook? Or Spoonfight?
#9 Old 03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

So...what makes it a "punk" cookbook? This kind of stuff is just as bad as "Jesus junk"...ya know...stuff in Christian bookstores like cook books with Thomas Kinkade illustrations and a verse on the bottom of the page to inspire the user, or "TestaMINTS"......I just don't get it. I suppose it's creative marketing. That said...are the recipes any good?
#10 Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, like I said before about this particular book costing $16. What person in their target demographic would actually pay $16 for it, you know? lol. It's just a gifty novelty type thing... it isn't bound with blood, sweat, saliva and politcal oppression and illustrated with Manic Panic. To me, it's just cute. I've read American Hardcore and enjoyed it, and I think the memoirs in Please Feed Me are reminiscent of that. Just fun little tidbits about bands I like with really simple and creative recipes on the side so that I can eat while I read, hah.

It's bascially the same idea as the "Jesus Junk" you were talking about. Just a bunch of crap thrown together with the word "punk" slapped on the title so that the little 14-year-old mall(b)rats with pink mohawks and studded belts will go "COOL! I should steal.. I mean, BUY that book!"

I like the recipes because I am lazy and poor. I wouldn't use this book if I were cooking for my family on a holiday or something, but it's good for coming home after those 10-hour work days when you don't have any TJ Soy Nuggets to throw in the mike, but you also don't feel like whipping up an exotic feast from scratch. So yeah, I'm lazy and I'm also not the most competent cook around, so sometimes I need that little boost to get my creative cooking engine started
#11 Old 03-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

www.diy-auction.com has vegan recipies for "punk rock kids" and it's free.

Any chance yo ucould list a few more bands who have memoirs? I might buy this book for that if it's not too expensive.
#12 Old 03-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

www.foodfightgrocery.com has soy not oi for sale at their site. thinking of getting it one of these days.
#13 Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I love that "Franco Un-american" song...

but anyways. This cookbook looks cool!
#14 Old 03-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTanner View Post

www.diy-auction.com has vegan recipies for "punk rock kids" and it's free.

Any chance yo ucould list a few more bands who have memoirs? I might buy this book for that if it's not too expensive.

Some of the other bands include: Bikini Kill, Pleasure Cell, Violent Phobia, Green Day, Nomeansno, Gorilla Biscuits, Jawbreaker, Down By Law, Oi Polloi, Polaris... too many more to name! Hope this helps
#15 Old 12-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I love this book. It's got little music tidbits with each recipe from the band that submitted the recipe, and some of them are really good. Plus it has these pages in the back to jot down your own recipes. Not really hard to do, just stick a few pages on the end, I know, I know; I just heart this book to no end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page