Tackling Childhood Obesity, Singapore Style - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2005, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...36-401,00.html

Quote:
Children are regularly weighed and those classified as overweight are told how many calories they can consume each day.

At one school, thin pupils wear colourful "I'm Trim and Fit" wrist bands while their overweight friends are issued "calorie cash": food ration coupons with caloric values they must not exceed when buying meals at the canteen.

And twice a week, instead of reading a book or doing anything sedentary, overweight children must spend 15 minutes of the 30-minute break skipping and playing ball games under the watchful eye of teachers.

As part of the "Trim and Fit" scheme, overweight students are required to devote additional time, on top of the normal physical education curriculum, to exercises such as jogging, aerobics and gym workouts.

OK how much would that NOT fly in the US or Australia?!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems scary the government has that much power, though I do wonder if it's working?
#3 Old 03-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

That is quite wrong.

To tackle the problem of obesity there needs to be more advertising and promotion of healthy food. This method just singles kids out and encourages people to pick on them for being different.

Here is more 2 pennys worth anyway.
#4 Old 03-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah that's why I said it wouldn't fly in the US or Australia (and likely Europe).

But in Asia there is such a stigma for being singled out - instead of parents whinging "ohhhhh my baby is being humiliated!!" often the parents want the kid to be more like the others and to do what the school is telling them to do.

Especially in Singapore where following the rules is so well-ingrained. And yeah mikie, the gov't is pretty well-entrenched there. All buildings in Singapore must be painted every 7 years to "keep up appearances"... but the gov't has so many public programs too, that it's a trade-off. You let the gov't in your life a little more, and it helps you out a little more.

Did you know when you move/immigrate to singapore, they actually inspect all your VHS/DVD's to ensure they're 'appropriate content'?
#5 Old 03-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised there were no punishments for the parents given that it is sinapore.

IMHO if you have an obese individual under the age of 16 it is the parents fault, not the kids.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#6 Old 03-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Barring a physiological reason for the weight, the kids learn their eating habits from their parents, right? Are the parents chastised or re-educated in any way?
#7 Old 03-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

....thats........hmm.

#8 Old 03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post

Are the parents chastised or re-educated in any way?

Re-educated! That word makes me shiver.

You know OregonAmy, you might have to get your DVDs inspected, but at least chewing gum is now legal (with permit.)
#9 Old 03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

true, thanks to wrigley! yay for corporate interests!

However, you still can't bring durian onto public transport.
#10 Old 03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Beginner

I also heard that somewhere they put the student's weight on their report card and if they are over weight or healthy so their parents know. I think that is totally wrong. I'm sure if they are way over weight their parents would know just by looking at them and what if they are only 10 pounds over weight? Making them insecure just for having a little fat on the body? Come on now.
#11 Old 03-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanna know who decides what 'overweight' is?

I was "overweight" in high school because I worked out like a fiend & rode my bike 6-10 miles per day, and my genetics are such that I'm just naturally heavy (I really *am* big-boned). According to the height/weight charts I was "obese", but according to the fat % index I was in the "lean" category.
#12 Old 03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Re-educated! That word makes me shiver.

You know what I meant (as in healthy eating/exercise habits).
#13 Old 03-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I'm going to be the only dissenting opinion.

The United States is facing an obesity and cultural problem relating to obesity that is not being corrected. The US attempts to force its children to exercise through its compulsory education system, but it doesnt actually *force* them. Consequently, most people stop after they are required.

The US needs to do one of two things:

1) Start a massive cultural campaign. In Finland they did the exact same thing, to attempt to change the perception that vegetables and fruits were "rabbit food". They reorganised their cities to make exercising more enjoyable and accessable for everyone, and in general had a "cultural revolution". This would require much devotion on the parts of local governments.

2) Make exercise compulsory. Start a system to track the weight of children, and force them to lose weight by modifying their diets at least at school. Force them to exercise more, and make every attempt to stop it within one cycle.

Right now the US is in the middle, almost undecided on the issue and constantly swaying back and forth but not getting anything done. Americans need to decide if they want to correct the problem, and if so then how they wish to go about it.

#14 Old 03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Comrade, I like what you say in point #1, but I think that the food industry is WAY too entrenched in the US gov't *cough*USDA*cough* to actually promote something like that. I don't think the US gov't is at all interested in solving childhood obesity.

a) food companies are making a lot of cash selling cheap junk

b) HMO's and health organizations are also making a heap of cash giving people advice and drugs but not really being serious about addressing proper nutrition

c) let's not even get started on how much $ the diet industry makes by keeping people fat, selling them useless diets, programs & 'supplements'

As for point #2, I can't imagine that most parents would stand for that. You can't *force* children to exercise and expect parents not to complain that "you're tormenting my child! you can't make them do something they don't want!"

In singapore, where the culture is MUCH more cohesive even though it is incredibly diverse, a program like this and encouraging health is much more widely accepted. There is not so much the "I am an individual and you can't take away my individuality!" thought as there is "I am part of a community, and my health is a direct reflection of that community."
#15 Old 03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the campaign is wrong because it punishes obese children. Not everyone is naturally thin, and everyone should exercise and eat well, not excluding the kids who appear thin. This is one of the worst things I have ever heard. If anyone would have pointed me out and made me wear a 'fat kid' wrist ban...well I can just imagine the effect of my self esteem would NOT have been good. I think this is just a shame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page