Anyone been hiking in Utah or Arizona? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2003, 06:09 PM

If so, could you please give me some pointers from your experience for when I go there? I've been doing a lot of reading on it, but it's always hard to tell what it's going to be like until you really get there, you know?

We'll be doing a lot of hiking in Zion National Park, and we'll be taking day trips to Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of Grand Canyon. I hike almost daily around here, but the landscape and weather differs tremendously from those areas.

So, anything you guys could tell me about these areas would be very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2003, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

The only spot I've hiked in was Sedona. It wasn't a marked hiking trail or anything, we stayed at a B&B for a night, and in the morning we just headed out through the woods. I don't know where we were, but it was gorgeous, and we didn't even hit a road for an hour. Check that area out, I'm sure there's some nice trails there.

--------Trav-------
#3 Old 05-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Banned

yup! hiked pretty much all of arizona - sagurao NP, sedona, flagstaff, coconino NF, the san fran peaks, mt elden, mt humphreys, the north rim and south rim of the canyon.

havent done much in utah other than southern Utah. i helped build the arizona trail which actually goes into utah, so i've done parts of that

do you know what area specifically you'll be doing on the North Rim? i've backpacked a little bit there. if you're by chance doing Havasupai Falls, i've done that. awsome little trip.

know that northern arizona is not like southern arizona. it can get damn cold, even this time of year. so make sure you bring plenty of fleece and capeline/long underwear. you'll need it most likely. especially if your descending into the canyon.

but of course the sun in that area can be pretty brutal so obviously, you'll want clothes to match the hot weater and lots of sunscreen . but of course!

also, Northern AZ has a monsoon season, which usually starts mid july - mid august. so if you're there during that time, you'll see some kick ass rain storms, but tey only last for literally, a little more than an hour and then everthing is bright and sunny and happy. but it's some hardcore rain!

sedona - usually 20 degrees warmer than the flagstaff and grand canyon area. so be prepared for that.

southern utah is pretty open...you'd be suprised how many trees/forests there are in N. arizona, but s. utah is somewhat barren (not really the right word!) so therefore, warmer - more like the sedona climate.

will you be backpacking or just day hiking?

either way, bring extra water, of course.

as for zion and bryce...it'll get pretty cold at night like the canyon area, so be aware of that.

if you do spend time in the flagstaff area, and have extra time, check out Mt elden (the sunset/north trail is much prettier than the south one), mt humphreys (you need a whole day for that - it's the tallest peak in AZ, at about 12,900 or so). there's an awsome hike about thirty minutes south of the canyon called red mountain. freakin awsome.

sedona - if you don't dig lame tourists like me you'll want to check out the more backcountry trails, obviously. there are annoying jeep tours that for some reason have not been outlawed and they can be really damn annoying. so again, if you want to avoid them go further out. there are some cool arches around sedona that have good hikes to them.

awsome climbing in the sedona area also!
#4 Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I hiked in Zion a couple of years ago in April, and OMG it's wonderful! It was pretty warm in the day, and cold at night. I did the North Rim about seven years ago in October.

When are you going? And, where do you usually hike?

I'm so envious, you're going to have such a great time.
#5 Old 05-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

when we were hiking in arizona/new mexico region in july it was terrible hot during the day and freezing at night.

enjoy!
#6 Old 05-19-2003, 07:32 PM

Funkified, I have no absolutely no clue where we'll be hiking at the North Rim. We're spending all of our nights in Springdale, Utah, so we'll just be doing a day hike there. How long does the Havasupai Falls hike take? Any other suggestions for what area of the North Rim we should visit?

We're leaving on the 30th and staying until June 6th, so we'll miss the monsoon season. That sounds really cool. I was in Florida about 12 years ago and it was a lot like that.

Baby, I live in southeastern Wisconsin and hike a lot along Lake Michigan and in the kettle moraines. We also go off-road biking, which we're thinking of doing in Zion. They have a place in Springdale that rents bikes. We'd bring ours along, but did that a couple years ago when we went to Colorado & it was a pain in the rump.

On a side note, if anyone ever goes to the NY Farm Sanctuary, they have an awesome state park to hike in. It's located right on the main street of Watkin's Glen: http://www.llbean.com/parksearch/parks/html/292lln.htm

We went there last year and loved it.

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it comin'!
#7 Old 05-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Flower,

I've been to Arizona a couple of times, did some hiking and running. It's very dry there compared to here so make sure to drink lots of water and to take some on your hikes. Have fun!
#8 Old 05-19-2003, 08:02 PM

We're definitely planning on lots of water. My friends threw me a suprise bachelorette party last Friday night. Other than a sexy piece of lingerie and the Kama Sutra, my gifts consisted of all hiking gear- socks, canteen & first aid kit. Pretty cool!
#9 Old 05-25-2003, 03:06 AM
Banned

ah, well the havasupai falls is a ten mile hike in ten mile hike out...so i guess that's out for a day hike

the north rim is the 'prettier' rim...not as much tourist crap over there. the south rim is like a freakin' amusement park.

i havent spent much time other than the havasupai backpacking and a few other hikes around there...from where i was it takes quite a while (i think the canyon is like 280 miles or something? unless i'm way off).

i can't think of any trailheads off hand.but you wont have a hard time finding some sweet trails - it's much more pristine over there

have fun! (and happy wedding by the way too!)

oh wait, i have to ask - by off road biking? you mean mt biking right?
#10 Old 05-25-2003, 07:44 AM

Yes, I do mean mt biking. We call it off roading here because of the lack of mountains.

I'm very glad to hear that the north rim has less tourists. We went to Niagara Falls last year, expecting it to be so nice, but it was horrible. I felt like I should be at a fair or something. So, if you ever go there, make sure to go on the American side, not the Canadian.

Four more days to go until we leave!!! Thanks for all the tips, everyone.
#11 Old 05-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Sure, I've got lots of hiking experience in Utah. I'm originally from there.

Basically, if you're going in the summer or early fall, make sure to bring lots and lots of water. Most of the time it's extremely hot (90 to 110+). It's not only hot, but the air is bone dry. If you can, try to hike early in the morning or after 5pm, so it won't be so hot. Wear lots of sunscreen and wear a hat. In some areas, especially Bryce Canyon--with elevations of over 8,000 ft--you'll want to be careful of altitude sickness, which could be a problem since you're from low-elevation Wisconsin. Also be mindful of the weather reports when you're there. You don't want to be hiking through a low-lying wash when there's a flash flood, believe me.

You could spend 2 weeks in southern Utah and still not see everything there is to see or hike every trail. Make sure to plan lots of time traveling from place to place because the distances between places can be quite long. From Zion to Bryce it's about 90 miles, through an area that had few towns with few gas stations, so always drive with your tank full or at least half full. Especially when you go to the Grand Canyon. In the North Rim, there is only one gas station and not another one for miles and miles. In the South Rim, you have to drive to the next town (20 or so miles) or find a gas station on the Navajo Reservation (30 or so miles).

There are so many trails I could recommend to you. If you find yourself in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument area, there is a beautiful area called Calf Creek Falls. I highly recommend hiking there. The trails aren't difficult, but there's a beautiful reward at the end--lovely, cool water falls. When you get to them, it's like walking from a furnace into an air conditioned room it's so nice. For other trails in Bryce and Zion, I would look up on the national parks website at www.nps.gov

I would also consider picking up a guide trail book. There's a lot out there to choose from, but you might be able to find a used one on amazon.com or something.

If you have any questions, pm me.
#12 Old 05-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been hiking there, but I hope you can post some pictures to show us. It sounds beautiful.
#13 Old 05-25-2003, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the great tips, tearhsong2! We do have our hikes for Zion planned for the most part. I'm so excited! It sounds and looks like a beautiful part of the country.

CaptainSwab, I just bought a scanner today, so I'll definitely be posting some pics!
#14 Old 05-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome.

Zion is such a beautiful place. The wildlife is amazing, too. The deer, squirrels, chipmunks, lizards, and wild turkeys are everywhere. It's also common to see little frogs hopping all over the rocks after a rainstorm. Bryce is wonderful, too. If you get a chance, try to be there for sunrise and sunset at sunrise point and sunset point. It's absolutely beautiful.

All this talk of home is making me very homesick. I'm hoping this summer or early this fall I can go back to visit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page