Being "Pale" is not a bad thing! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Beginner

This is a bit of a rant...

I am so tired of people talking about being pale as a bad thing. I refuse to feel badly about my NATURAL skin colour.

It's not okay to tell someone they're "pale" and then suggest they use fake tanners, go to a tanning salon, or try some odd cosmetics. Guess what? some people find sexy, beautiful, or delicate. Would you approach a dark skinned individual and tell them to lighten up? No, Why? because it's rude and unfair as people have a natural colour that cannot be changed on a whim because of "fashion."

Why am I pale? well I'm certainly not ill. I'm pale because my ancestors lived in colder regions where the sun was not intense, thus, melanin was not as necessary for protection and the skin colour was less. It is genetic, and cannot be changed.

So the next time you say "pale" like it's a bad thing, think before you speak.

Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Um, I've noticed that a lot of ppl on this board are quite proud of being pale so I don't think you'll run into anything bad in here.

I do have to say that I'm quite partial to the tanned look tho (as I have a permanent one ). Not that there's anything wrong with being pale tho.
#3 Old 02-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Pale girl in the house.
#4 Old 02-01-2005, 03:52 PM

Pale Girl here and I LOVE pale skin on guys, it's so so sexy

I always compliment people for their paleness

What can I say, I'm irish I have to love pale skin
#5 Old 02-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I know seriously. Awhile ago my dad was saying I'm too pale and that I should go out in the sun more, and stop using any SPF stuff I explained that's unhealthy, but he wouldn't believe me!! He thinks sun=good, pale=bad. Well, I'd rather not get skin cancer thank you, or look 100 years old when I'm 30
#6 Old 02-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pale and have no wish to tan.

I've been teased for it, but I probably joke about it more than anyone else.

The only real criticism I've received for it has been from other women. It doesn't seem to bother men and it certainly doesn't bother me.
#7 Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I once had a guy at Wrigley Field yell out to me to get a tan or not wear a dress I told him to go f**k himself and went on my merry way.

I'm pale. I like being pale. I'd rather be pale then don a cancer tan so sue me

~pale, Irish, and proud~
#8 Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

bluegrrrl, exactly. I told people that in high school. One tanning bed queen was already getting crows feet at 17. And now I'm 30. Two years ago at the reunion, they told me I looked 'exactly the same.' And I couldn't tan if I tried.
#9 Old 02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Beginner

Tanned skin is higly over rated, pale people rock.
#10 Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not really a makeup type of person. I put it on mainly for "special" occasions, but not every day. My mother has been on my case forever to wear makeup more often because I'm pale to the point of looking "dead", as she puts it. As a defense, I often put on a little makeup whenever I'm going to be seen by my mother. It might be a generational thing, My mother is of the WWII generation; I came of age with the feminist movement, so makeup and the fact that I look "dead" isn't as big a deal for me as for her.

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 02-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I am very, very pale. In my life I've only met one person paler then I am. I used to be jealous of my friends who tanned and didn't get crap from people about being so white (I've also gotten the "you should go to a tanning salon" advice, and it makes me mad). I've also had people think I was sick if I didn't wear makeup. GRRR...

Pale does not equal unhealthy; it equals Northern European heritage. Somehow I'm a throwback to the Irish in my background.

I finally realized that I was going to look a lot younger then all the sun-worshipers when I got a little older. I'm only 22, and I can already see some girls starting to look old because they've abused their skin so much. I'll trade tanning for looking young any day.
#12 Old 02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I am pretty pale. I like how I look with a tan but it's not worth skin cancer, of which there is plenty in my pale family.

Still, I just wanted to say that there is pale, then there is pale. When I have been sickly and pale, it is not the same thing as when I am healthy and pale. When I am healthy, I have a little color in my cheeks and not the dark circles under my eyes. My skin tone is just different.

I think a lot of people, in their ignorance, associate anyone pale with being unhealthy.
#13 Old 02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks to the Scandinavians and Scots known as my ancestors, I'm quite the pale chick. I don't mind it per se, but I also wouldn't mind another shade or two of pigment so that people wouldn't constantly think I'm sick. Not sick, just whitey macwhite, thanks!
#14 Old 02-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

It's funny how things change. Back in the day having pale skin was desirable to the point that courtesans covered themselves with white paint and powder. A tan was a sign that you were a lower class person who had to work out in the sun.
#15 Old 02-01-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegewhat? View Post

Tanned skin is higly over rated, pale people rock.

ya damned skippy.
#16 Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmuncher View Post

Pale Girl here and I LOVE pale skin on guys, it's so so sexy

hey i'm a pale guy

#17 Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not that pale, but I'm a lot paler than my bf and I love the contrast between our skins. Sorry, kind of off-topic, but I felt like sharing.
#18 Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM

I prefer to be called Melaninically Challenged.

The Rev
#19 Old 02-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Administrator

I don't think there's anything wrong with being pale either. As far as attraction goes I couldn't really care less.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#20 Old 02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stey View Post

hey i'm a pale guy

Hey, I like pale guys...like:
LL
#21 Old 02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

<<<this is me looking dark
#22 Old 02-01-2005, 06:31 PM

I used to think that perhaps someday I'd get enough freckles so they would blend together in a tan. At almost 49, I've given up on that dream - now I'm just hoping for the same effect from age spots.
#23 Old 02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I consider myself very lucky to have insanely pale skin and dark features (something about the combo of polish, irish, french, and native american.)

i don't have tan, and i live in arizona. so obviously, i'd have one if it were something i was genetically destined to have.

and i'm okay with that. makes the goth look REALLY easy to pull off.
#24 Old 02-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

now I'm just hoping for the same effect from age spots.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 02-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm super pale. I don't tan. I just burn, then go back to white. I don't even try to tan. People can't freakin stop commenting on it like I wanted to hear their opinion. Its genetic.. my mom is pale and her mom is pale and i'm pale.

I've heard more than once that my skin is so perfect and looks like porcelain. On the plus side, I've had 2 zits my entire life.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#26 Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, shut up.
#27 Old 02-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm super pale. I don't tan. I just burn, then go back to white. I don't even try to tan. People can't freakin stop commenting on it like I wanted to hear their opinion. Its genetic.. my mom is pale and her mom is pale and i'm pale.

I've heard more than once that my skin is so perfect and looks like porcelain. On the plus side, I've had 2 zits my entire life.

This was always pretty much my story too, until I started biking everywhere. Biking + Oklahoma+ Summertime+ Sun+ Constant exposure = sort of tan(ish) but only on my head/neck and arms.

I'd much rather be pale all over again than have this farmer's tan that I worked so hard to get........

I think pale looks better on the ladies than on the guys, but I'd rather be pale than have a nice melanoma collection.....
#28 Old 02-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

For much of my life, I wanted to be paler than I am. When I was a little girl, I thought Lilith on Cheers was sooooo beautiful. She once made some comment about taking 7 showers a day, and I thought that if I took that many showers, my skin could be as fair as hers. That night I went into the bathroom and rubbed my forearms with cotton balls moistened with rubbing alcohol. I cried because the cotton balls were getting dirty, and they just kept picking up more dirt, but I could'nt see it on my skin. My mom found me, though, and explained that it's normal, I was silly, etc.

When I was a teenager I wore the fairest foundation and powder I could buy. When my hair is light blonde, my face has a strong pink tone to it that I don't like. It makes it much harder to disguise my dark circles, too. But I'm no longer trying to be paler than I am.
#29 Old 02-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Am I one of those weird pale people who's only ever had compliments about their skin colour? *shrugs* Guess that's not a bad thing!
#30 Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm naturally pale due to Celtic anscestry and I try to stay out of the sun so as to not get skin cancer. However, last time I had some blood tests my Vitamin D level was low. Sometimes you just can't win. On the plus side people generally guess my age at about 7-10 years younger than I actually am!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page