Take 2, Why are many people not vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Why are many people not Vegetarian these days? (multiple choices allowed)
ignorant 0 0%
uneducated 0 0%
can't give up meat... too "good" 0 0%
it's hard to change 0 0%
think they know that it's unhealthy to be vegetarian 0 0%
don't care about hurting animals 0 0%
Other, please specify 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2005, 02:48 PM

I started another topic about this, but by mistake I didn't turn on the POLL option... so please post comments and vote HERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Beginner

wheres the poll

#3 Old 01-31-2005, 02:52 PM

it's right there
#4 Old 01-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Beginner

I picked uneducated im sure if more people knew the extent of factory farmed animals suffering and how bad meat can be for you and how great a veg*n diet is they would also be veg..
#5 Old 01-31-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stey View Post

I picked uneducated im sure if more people knew the extent of factory farmed animals suffering and how bad meat can be for you and how great a veg*n diet is they would also be veg..

agreed
#6 Old 01-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for all of them. its different for different people.
#7 Old 01-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I find being uneducated and too "hard" too give up a tie as far as omni friends go. I try to help them out but sometimes it seems hopeless.
#8 Old 01-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I think some people don't beleive that the slaughterhouses are actually as bad as they are. They beleive the animals are treated fairly, on pleasant little farms where they can roam the fields and be out in the sun. That's what I was thinking when I selected other, and I do know one person who believes this. I don't bother discussing it with him anymore.

I've heard the "I couldn't give it up, it's so good" line a lot.
#9 Old 01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted "other" for my mom, who says she can't go veg because of gas. *shrug*
#10 Old 01-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Selffish, I know a lot of people who don't want to know the facts as they know if will make them feel bad about eating meat.
#11 Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

One reason is complacency. It's normal to eat meat, and many people just want to be normal.

To put it bluntly, many people couldn't care less. it's quite sad that we live in a society of ignorant tossers who couldn't give a monkeys.
#12 Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Baby Love

I picked 'other' because I can't/won't make a judgement on why others make the decisions they do. Everyone is different. I find the wording of the poll choices combined with the assumption that we can claim to know what is in everyone elses head to be offensive.
#13 Old 01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I picked 'other' because I can't/won't make a judgement on why others make the decisions they do. Everyone is different. I find the wording of the poll choices combined with the assumption that we can claim to know what is in everyone elses head to be offensive.

Jinga, I read your quote above and thought "what??"..........and then I scrolled up to the poll questions. I totally concur.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#14 Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

Jinga, I read your quote above and thought "what??"..........and then I scrolled up to the poll questions. I totally concur.

Thanks, Steve. Its good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.
#15 Old 01-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Ignorant means Lacking education or knowledge which would be the same as uneducated....so combine the two?

I believe most people were raised that way and kind of know in the back of their mind what happens. But, they push it out and refuse to have to look at it because it means changing their entire life.

My mother, the so called animal lover won't look at facts. She claims they aren't true, it doesn't happen, etc. When I asked her top research, she says she doesn't have time for that, etc, etc.

I told her I'd take her to a slaughter house...let's have a tour! It would be very devistating for me, but I would endure it to change another person. Ummm... she refused.
#16 Old 01-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Well, there are lots of reasons why. Christians, for example, find nothing wrong with eating animals. The Bible says that man was given dominion over the animals, and Jesus himself ate fish and served it to his disciples. So that's 1 billion people on earth that have no problem with eating meat. With Muslims, the case is similar. Their culture revolves around the fact that it is socially acceptable to eat meat. Allah put animals on earth for a reason. So that's 2 billion people that have no problem with eating meat. Some people simply don't care about animals, and some people are just uneducated. It varies really.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page