Sri Lankas calling? Ghana's calling? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I'm all weirded out. I had a dream last night and I was doing voluntary work in Africa or such like. I was in a school helping children.

So (in real life) I applied for this job in Ghana doing some camerawork, the guy whose email it was, I'd worked with last time I was in Ghana. I was thinking I could again set myself up some voluntary in a school, last time we did some workshops and games, which was great fun. I was thinking we could do a show and film it and try selling it to help get some funding. The school I worked in has apparently closed, I guess through lack of money. The kids in the school were great, and in such a lovely village.

Anyway not heard back from him, but a very laddish friend has just told me he's off to Sri Lanka and it's given me an odd feeling I ought to go there and do that. Partly because I really wouldn't have expected him to do it, and also as it's such a big tragedy I feel I should be a part in the clear up. I just have this weird feeling I should be doing something! A lot of friends seem to be going away for travel/ work at the moment so I guess it's a great time to do something. My main downer with Sri Lanka is that it's i to i and I'm sure it's a really a great organisation, but I had a bad experience with them in the past. (it's not major they just sent me to a meeting that didn't exist and I lost a bit of respect/ trust for them) Obviously I could just go on my own, which would save all my money from being swallowed by an organsiation, though may be more risky without the backing of a big group.

Ah I just have a weird feeling in my stomach, not sure if it's fate, guilt or whatever, but I guess I should do something, seems like my dream was telling me,

Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Kat,

Incase you do decide to follow with your dream and go to Sri Lanka, I want to let you know that it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. Eventhough the Tsunami might have destroyed and blocked many of the beautiful beaches, the country's inland it absolutely beautiful too. Specially when you start going up to the Mountains of Central Sri Lanka. It is like no other place on earth. Sri Lankans in general are also very laid back, happy and helpful people. I am not sure from your post if you have already been there but just FYI.

My sister works in Sri Lanka for an Asian television station called Young Asia Television. It's an awesome organizations and cover lots of topics that affect the young in Asia. check out http://www.yatv.net/ They do a lot of documentary filiming.

Anyway.. good luck..hope your heart takes you down the right path
#3 Old 01-28-2005, 02:17 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Hey cool. Cheers for info. I haven't been to Sri Lanka, but when I was doing the project in Ghana, the groups next project was going to be Sri Lanka. And we all spoke about it and it sounded like a great place, it's somewhere I would truly love to go to see and try to help out. I've been looking at flights and it doesn't sound too bad.

If I was to go any chance you could put me in touch with your sister? I will have a look at the sight in a bit, about to eat now. I'm a camera op/ researcher/ props/ runner/ dogs body type. Willing to do some work for a good cause.

Also I heard about 1/10 people speak English, is it manageable and also of course a veggie diet out there, is that ok (I'm guessing it is, but you know more than me)

Cheers for the help!
#4 Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

It's looking more and more likely that I will be going back to Ghana, which is great as I love it there. I'd be working as a camera operator for 6-8 months, and will probaly stay a bit longer to travel and maybe go around a few schools doing art. May try and shoot a documentary out there too.

I will probaly start a thread closer to the time about eating out there. But I'm getting excited now. I think it's B6 which makes you taste bad to mosquitos. And wearing lemongrass. When I went before I messed up and took B12, which didn't stop me getting bitten, but I'm sure my levels where impressive.

I was veggie last time I was there but I ate eggs and more dairy then, and I ate fish once or twice (not really through choice) When I was catered for, on film sets I had to have things that were cooked with meat, so I was probaly getting juices and the likes. I'd like to be stricter this time, without offending people and without suffering nutritionally. Thinking of taking dried soya out there, but any ideas would be great.

Be towards the end of feb that I go,

Kat
#5 Old 02-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Banned

Wow, Kat, how exciting!

Suggestions for eating on catered sites: Flask cooking!

You simply get a good quality wide mouth flask/thermos, add veggies, soya chunks, a stock cube, broken pasta or whatever you have laying around. Bring the flask to the filming site and get the caterers to add boiling water to it first thing in the morning. By luch time, you'll have a hearty veggie stew. You can also add lentils, curry powder and veggies or all sorts of combinations, even spag bol! It really works.

Get yourself a few bags of TVP Savoury Chunks to take with you. Very light but packed full of B12 etc http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/272203.html
#6 Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Kat, that is exciting. Would you consider doing a trip report for VB? I'd love to hear about your experience in Ghana.
#7 Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline View Post

Kat, that is exciting. Would you consider doing a trip report for VB? I'd love to hear about your experience in Ghana.

Heh heh, ye of course. Last time partly because of funding we did a newsletter and called in Gals In Ghana, so we emailed friends and relatives about what we were up to. This time it will just be the gal in ghana.

well should be great fun, really looking forward to it.

Cheers Mr Falafel, I sure will be taking out some TVP and sounds a great idea to stick it in a flask!

Kat
#8 Old 02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Wow. Looks like Ghana it is! Kinda scared, got about 2 and a half weeks to organise everything!!! Scary, scary, scary!
#9 Old 02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

Wow. Looks like Ghana it is! Kinda scared, got about 2 and a half weeks to organise everything!!! Scary, scary, scary!

Did you get your shots?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page