In defense of Americans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

And I'm putting it here, not compost, as this is my little thank you.

I haven't met many Americans in RL, but the ones I've met in cyberspace are nothing like the "typical" Americans we hear about -

They are caring

Go out of their way for a stranger, especially one in need

Helpful

And just plain friendly and hospitable.

Not many people would offer to drive 13 hours to help someone in need.

Not many people would offer to pick someone up at 11pm and drive them to their destination just so they don't have to wander around a strange city at night. This I might add is an offer after the initial plans were screwed up.

Not many people would give someone they've never met their phone number just in case they need help.

The more I plan my trip, the more I am starting to think that the average American is not the self-involved, arrogant creature that the rest of the world sees. I am indebted to the people who are helping me on what could be a very scary trip! But because I have such a wonderful support group I am much more confident.

So thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2003, 10:23 AM

Aw, thanks, Shewolf! Ya, we're not all bad. Just read my signature. Incubus says it best.
#3 Old 05-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

As I have said before, I will not comment on my opinion of americans on VB.

But I will say that, I assume the majority of americans you have meet are those on VB/Vegweb, yes?

If so, then it stands to reason that as a cast, Vegetarian and Vegan are of a more compassionate breed of human then most others on the planet. In this case, you will not meet the 'average' american from this social ring.
#4 Old 05-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

*salutes*
#5 Old 05-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

> In this case, you will not meet the 'average' american

> from this social ring.

Ah, like you did, Mr. Alpaca? You really are the authorithy on personal encounters with 'average' Americans, aren't you?
#6 Old 05-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Just goes to show you that stereotypes are often wrong. Same could be said about the generalized view of any group of people.

I prefer to get to know someone before I decide that they suck.
#7 Old 05-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

No, Alpaca, I'm also referring to my dealings with ordinary Americans while planning my trip... ones that aren't affiliated with VB (although some are!) Maybe I've just been lucky but I'm not usually THIS lucky...

I also have had American students but they're always on their best behaviour!
#8 Old 05-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely muppetcow... I never thought that Americans suck but I did have some false beliefs... mostly brought about by media and arts representations.
#9 Old 05-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by That Alpaca Guy

As I have said before, I will not comment on my opinion of americans on VB.

So I cant really say any more in this thread.
#10 Old 05-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

*hugs the cute furry alpaca*
#11 Old 05-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

It's probably best. It's always better to stay quiet and let everyone believe you are a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. (I don't remember who said that -sounds like Mark Twain-, but it is sooooo useful at times .)
#12 Old 05-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by shewolf

No, Alpaca, I'm also referring to my dealings with ordinary Americans while planning my trip... ones that aren't affiliated with VB (although some are!) Maybe I've just been lucky but I'm not usually THIS lucky...

I also have had American students but they're always on their best behaviour!

People are people. Some good, some bad. Most are decent.

I'm even open-minded enough to realize not all of the French are smelly cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys.

(Granted, this is mostly because of an exchange student from France when I was a junior in high school. Lovely girl. Very affectionate. Called her the school merry-go-round, 'cause everbody got to take a turn.)
#13 Old 05-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow.. I never really thought of it before but I think I only know one or two Americans (who are super nice). That's pretty bad since I live about 3 hours from the Windsor/Detroit border.

It's unfortunate how people get stereotyped because they're from a certain country. I don't know how many times I've been asked if I live in an igloo.. I'm not kidding. I've never even seen an igloo.
#14 Old 05-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I will not 'take the bait' (forgive the expression) tame.

no comment.
#15 Old 05-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Tame--I think it may have been Abraham Lincoln who said that. LOL about the merry go round--we had one of those at my high school, but they called her Amtrak--All aboard!

TAG--good for you for not taking the bait.
#16 Old 05-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

I will not 'take the bait' (forgive the expression) tame.

no comment.

Bait? Hell, I was complimenting your judgment!
#17 Old 05-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Banned

Has this thread been hidden from 1vegan? Or is it only a matter of time.....
#18 Old 05-16-2003, 11:40 AM

Well, with all the "support" we get around here I'm just glad that we Americans don't NEED "defending"; we're quite capable of taking care of ourselves, thank you just the same . . . .

Just ask the last country that invaded us - oh, wait, there's no one still alive that was around then . . . .

(PS - I know that type of "defense" isn't what you meant Shewolf )

Bank, glad to be an American, and wouldn't trade my citizenship for anyone else's.
#19 Old 05-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

people everywhere are simply people. We have to start going beyond things that split us apart such as nation-states.
#20 Old 05-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Nah. Tame's right: it's a quote from Mark Twain.
#21 Old 05-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Please don't!
#22 Old 05-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by veganinohio

Nah. Tame's right: it's a quote from Mark Twain.

Ah, I stand corrected. One of my coworkers has quotes hanging up in her cube (she types them up and prints them off herself) and she's got that one hanging up and attributed to Abe Lincoln. She's none too bright, though.
#23 Old 05-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

Has this thread been hidden from 1vegan? Or is it only a matter of time.....

Just give him time, he never misses an opportunity to bash on America, American's, US or whatever. Probably never even been in the country, but can sit behind his pc spewing sentiment. With all the hatred it makes me wonder if he is the new ring leader of Al Queda. "Big Bird" runs a close second.
#24 Old 05-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Although I disagree with Tame and Bank on something they are right. Don't judge us all by the example you see, especially on TV.
#25 Old 05-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You know, I would say, it's a big country with different ethnicities, social classes, races, regions, politics. There is really wide variation. But how we differ from other cultures generally, I can't know bc I haven't been out of the country save a brief time in Canada.
#26 Old 05-16-2003, 03:39 PM

i agree thalia. we are a huge mix of different attitudes, ethnicities, etc etc. but, what bothers me a lot (and i am american) is the value placed on consumption and overconsumption in our culture. of course, there are tons of people in the u.s. who don't subscribe to this value, but there are also many who do, and it's important to ask what the impact is on the planet and the many other people on it...
#27 Old 05-16-2003, 03:56 PM

As an immigrant from Germany, I grew up between two cultures. Partially because of that fact, and partially because, as a German, I was extremely aware of the potential dangers of nationalism, I have never been a "my country right or wrong" type, nor have I ever been "patriotic" in the flag-waving, "I'm proud to be an American" sense.

In short, I believe that every country has its positive and negative aspects. I further believe that it is ridiculous to assume that all individuals of a certain nationality are alike. As I have said before, to make such assumptions is bigotry; to announce such assumptions to the people about whom you are making them is, in addition, just plain rude.

TAG, what you have said in this thread is akin to someone saying "I won't say I told you so"--it's just a passive-aggressive way of repeating what you've already said in the Compost Heap. And, ironically, by holding and expressing the views you do of US citizens, you are displaying the very traits that you are criticizing.
#28 Old 05-16-2003, 04:00 PM

mouse, i totally agree with what you're saying about the dangers of nationalism... i also have never felt this fervent loyalty to country...it never seemed to make sense for me. i

i think there's a big difference between making generalizations about a whole group of any type and looking at what seems to be valued or held in esteem in a culture generally...
#29 Old 05-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
LOL about the merry go round--we had one of those at my high school, but they called her Amtrak--All aboard!

I like the comment in the Austin Powers movie, Shes like the village bicycle. Everyones had a ride.
#30 Old 05-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

Just last night a seen a bunch of Americans helpt out a drunk girl, so she get away with running into a parked car while trying to get out of of a parking spot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page