So I went to the grocery store tonight.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 PM

to stock up on food. There a big huge snow storm coming. They are predicting 5-10 inches by tomorrow night. http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/...=wxcenter_maps Look at how big that storm is!

Anyhow, I knew when I parked at the far end of the lot that folks had the same idea I did. Stock up so you don't have to go out in the blizzard.

I get in the store and have to go back out and grab a cart from the lot. The store was packed.

I get all my stuff, and I'm walking toward the Silk. I pass the meat coolers and I hear this woman ask her husband "well what the hell are we gonna eat?"

I glance over and notice that the coolers are almost bare. I get my Silk and keep walking, noticing that all the milk is almost gone, and the cheese and eggs are in short supply. Bread was slim pickins too (no problem there because I make my own anyhow).

This tickled me. I don't know that proud is the right word, more like relieved that I had plenty of good food in my cart and I wasn't fretting about anything not being there. I had plenty of food choices..so much that if I wanted more I could go back and get it. And I can make many many meals with what I had bought.

Just wanted to share. I've never really felt such a difference between me and the other folks in the grocery store, although I know there is one. But the difference is good. No, it's not just good. It's grand! I feel wise for some reason.

Then I got to thinking on my way home, they are really going to be lost when the food supply (that is animals or comes from animals) gets so tainted that it's not edible anymore (this is what I've believed for a long time is going to happen and is currently slowly happening). Guess they'll have to learn a new way to shop at the grocery store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the way of the storm also, so I went yesterday. SIlk goes fast here so I grabbed the last four 1/2 gallons (2 vanilla, 2 choc)..they were mine, all mine!
#3 Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Whoops!

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. (If I'm lucky enough to get there in time.)
#4 Old 01-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

What a 100% great post!

Enjoy your good food during the blizzard.
#5 Old 01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually felt a little sad for the other people in the grocery store. They didn't realize that they don't need to stock up on meat, eggs and dairy. They just don't have a clue, I think.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Whoops!

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. (If I'm lucky enough to get there in time.)

Oh my. You haven't been to the store yet? Get yourself some grub woman..we're getting ready to be snowed in for the weekend. Maybe I'll finally finish my painting.
#7 Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 PM

This happens around here at the first mention of snow on the news. It's extra funny because I live in Georgia, and it snows here like, one day a year. Everyone buys up the milk, eggs, and bread for 9 hours worth of flurries. French toast for everyone!
#8 Old 01-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Its interesting (sad even, maybe) how some people are so set in needing things like meat, milk, eggs, etc. that they have no concept of how to function w/o these things. Omnis say we're the ones w/limited meal choices, but sometimes it seems like its the other way around. We have no trouble finding a variety of foods at the grocery store. I really that so often its the meat eaters who greatly limit their own meal choices deciding for some reason that meat is an essential part of every meal--those are the people who lack diversity in their food, not us vegetarians!!
#9 Old 01-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

This stocking up on food because its goign to snow thing is so pointless. This isnt the 1700's and we wont be stranded in our houses for weeks on end without any contact with the outside world while we starve to death because we dont have milk and bread.
#10 Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

They are predicting 24 inches of snow for Long Island. Burrr!
#11 Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Woah.. it snowed a lot here. I'm glad I have 4 wheel drive.. I need to go pick my kid up from his friend's in a couple of hours. The plow guys never do my neighborhood till the afternoon.

But yeah.. I never bother stocking up. It's not like the stores ever close for snow.
#12 Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Banned

Being the driest continent on the earth, Australia doesn't have this problem. What we do have is a water shortage (due to factors such as settlers trying to emulate Europe, animal industry requiring a large supply of water, the private sector wasting a lot of water, and the degredation of our river systems).

So what I am doing is taking my used plastic containers of $1.50 fruit and/or vegetable juice and filling them up with water, then storing them in my wardrobe. Then when the water restrictions get REALLY bad (and hopefully affect corporate use in addition to domestic use, which they should have done from the start) or we run out of water, I'll sell the bottles of H2O for an exhorbinant price so I can buy an old gasoline tanker and gyro-copter and live out my Mad Max fantasy.
#13 Old 01-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Last night was my regular shopping night, and the place was packed with panicked people. Truely panicked people!

I thought I was the only Silk purchaser, but evidently there must be someone else, because I usually buy four and they have tons left, but last night there were only two to be had!

The stock people were working like crazy because things were disappearing from the shelves as fast as they were stocking them.

I have to agree that for the most part, I got every thing I normally get without problem. I did see people who could'nt seem to find *any*thing they looked for (i.e. milk, meat, bottled water, deli cheese...)

I wish I knew who else was buying the Silk...although it could just be an omni with a dairy allergy. We have a kid on our street like that. I heard his parents say that they don't use dairy (and my heart skipped a beat) only to hear them talk about making sausages....

Anyway, my corner of the world got 6 inches of snow last night, and they are calling for 7-9 more throughout the course of today. I'm thinkin'.....hot chocolate, a good book, a snuggly blanket, a purring kitty cat, and bag of Swedish Fish.
#14 Old 01-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Well, it's really coming down now. I couldn't get the back door open to let out the dogs. Had to really push it. Man I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere today. Guess the house will get a good cleaning and the laundry will be caught up. Wonder what's on pay per view.....
#15 Old 01-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Have a great weekend Ruthie! I wish I were there with you. I really miss snow!

BTW. Robert and I went out for dinner last night and our waitress looked so familiar to me. I actually asked her where I might know her from and as soon as the words came out of my mouth, I realized she looked like you, a lot like you!

Sunny
#16 Old 01-22-2005, 07:52 AM

No kidding! I get that a lot. Someone thinks I'm someone else or that I look just like so and so.

I'm gonna have fun for sure. If it weren't so cold, I'd walk my stepdaughter down to the park and sled ride. But it's only 18 degrees out right now. Brrrrrrrr...

The snow is beautiful though. I wish I had a picture window overlooking a foresty type landscape. I'd sit there for hours and just watch it. But, every window I look out of there are crammed up houses. Not much of a view to be had in the city.
#17 Old 01-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I got some stuff, some fruit veggies Silk etc. Im all set.
#18 Old 01-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

We didn't get as much as you guys, but it did snow quite a bit last night.

It looks fun to play in though
#19 Old 01-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

We're expected to be a part of that snow storm too ( in Delaware ) I've heard that we're supposed to get a foot of snow. We made the mistake of stopping at the grocery store last night too. You couldn't even get a cart, or a hand basket. We only needed a few things ( flour, peanut butter, ect ) but it was crazy in there
#20 Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Snow is just starting here. We don't get as much as you guys up north. The main problem is our road crews are HORRIBLE! And the drivers on the road in their little sports cars are worse.
#21 Old 01-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Cali is expecting a 7.5-8.0 magnitude earthquake this year. Thats what I read in the paper, that is. Time to stock up on ramen!!
#22 Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Pfft... that's nuttin. We're expecting 15-20.

Just yesterday my coworker and I were laughing about people goin nuts buying things for the storm. Lets face it, you're inside for what, 48 hrs tops? So if you run out of milk for 2 days, nothing bad is gonna happen! So you don't have a bowl of cereal for two days, big whoop. And don't people have food in their house? It just doesn't make sense. What are people eating when there isn't a blizzard? The stores aren't always empty like that! A client at work today was telling me about a guy she heard on the radio saying "Why do people run out and buy out all the snow shovels before a storm? What happened to last years snow shovels?? Did you throw them away after the snow?" Good point. Mine is in my garage.

Last blizzard I went out and bought some oranges and a book. This time nothing special. I could use the next day and a halfs rest, so this blizzard is just a good excuse to crawl into bed for a bit

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 01-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately, my grocery store is always all out of veggies too (and this is every Saturday night and not just before storms)...

We're supposed to get a storm tomorrow too, so I am going to have to brave the crowds and lack of food when I go out later.
#24 Old 01-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

30 to 40 cm expected here tomorrow- our 3rd blizzard in a week!! Luckily we got groceries last night: sweet potatoes, chili, orange juice, etc.
#25 Old 01-22-2005, 03:09 PM

I lived on the NS/NB (about 5 hrs away from where organica lives) and I remember getting at least 4 feet in one dump once a winter, at least. Of course, in that town, it would end up raining away, but still.

When I lived in NF, every winter was snowy, as I lived in a valley where it was always blizzarding (look up Marble Mountain Ski resort, I lived near there). I remember the year it snowed just over 8 feet in a 24 36 hour period (can't remember if it was 1 day or 1 1/2) and school was closed for 3 or 4 days while they plowed the roads. The plows were going all night, but couldn't keep up with the snow, it fell so fast. When they finally got everything cleared, the snow was piled higher then the school bus on the school road My parents stayed up all night clearing the snow away from the door and keeping a path to the garage. It was mayheim.

Oh man, I miss those days.
#26 Old 01-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Plus, if you get snowed it at home for a few days, or the power gets cut, your food is going to stay good a lot longer than theirs!
#27 Old 01-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

This is why I try my best to keep stocked up on food most of the time. At least a week's worth. I hate to go to the store needing things if there's a storm or just before a holiday/superbowl/etc. I even avoid going shopping on the weekend for the same reason. Much better to go during the week.

Even though water shortage isn't a problem here, I still keep some tucked away in case the pipes freeze or they turn the water off for a few hours for construction purposes. There's even been cases when dead animals get into the water supply and it takes a few days to clear the pipes. Yuck.

Even if it isn't a natural disaster there are other things that having some food stored away is good for. Like if you lose a source of income for whatever reason. Or just being able to help out friends and family if they need it or if they drop by unexpectedly.
#28 Old 01-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

30 to 40 cm expected here tomorrow- our 3rd blizzard in a week!! Luckily we got groceries last night: sweet potatoes, chili, orange juice, etc.

Ughh...I'm so sick of storms! Three times in one week is far too much...

I'm still debating going to the store...I do need some things but I don't want to go out into the freezing cold and I don't want to deal with the hoards.
#29 Old 01-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Unfortunately, my grocery store is always all out of veggies too (and this is every Saturday night and not just before storms)...

We're supposed to get a storm tomorrow too, so I am going to have to brave the crowds and lack of food when I go out later.

Thats crap!! Sometimes our grocery store runs out of one thing, usually bananas, or weird stuff, like key limes, but we also usually buy our produce at the produce store which is about 10% of the cost of the grocery store. I'll send one of our produce stores your way. We've got about 3 within a mile of each other.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 01-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Thats crap!! Sometimes our grocery store runs out of one thing, usually bananas, or weird stuff, like key limes, but we also usually buy our produce at the produce store which is about 10% of the cost of the grocery store. I'll send one of our produce stores your way. We've got about 3 within a mile of each other.

lol! Unfortunately, there are no produce stores within walking distance to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page