Collecting - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really have any formal collections that I consistently, and over a long period of time, put energy into building but I am fascinated by the things people collect. I do tend to go through periods of collecting things, like when I got my induction cooktop I collected pans that would work with it. I love the old Melamine bowls that look like melted crayons and I collected them for a while but I get enough of something and that's usually it for me. It is almost always things I can use. I am quite practical, that way. I also tend to get almost obsessive with something for a while and when it is out of my system I move it along to someone else.

I had a doll-house with my youngest son and for a while I was collecting miniatures.

I have unintentionally collected little boxes over the years but I thin them out every now and then and I don't like it when other people give me boxes because they think I "collect boxes". I just see ones I like.

My mother collected salt and pepper shakers for a while and then it was anything with chickens. My dad collects knives almost as fast as he loses brain cells. My grandmother dolls that she makes. My grandfather collects wierd musical statues and things (ie. Billy Bass) (shudder).

Does anyone around here collect specific things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Records/CD's, but I'm not sure if that really counts.

I used to collect take-out menus from cheap restaurants, but I gave that up years ago. That's a more interesting thing to collect than you might think. You wouldn't believe how many different ways there are of preparing the same dish. And how much the prices vary.
#3 Old 01-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

I've somehow amassed a collection of about a half-dozen pairs of salt and pepper shakers. It wasn't intentional by any means. They're all animals and they're all antique.

And I guess I'd qualify as a cd/dvd collector as well.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM

1839 Large Cents. I have 14 out of 15 varieties.

I love that particular year, not only because the coins are interesting, but because a number of interesting things happened that interest me personally.

John D. Rockefeller was born that year

My alma mater (Boston University) was established that year

Photography was invented that year

The Rev
#5 Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Maneki Neko's (Japanese happy cats)

I have about 100 I guess from the dime-store variety to valuable antiques. I even have one made from Paper Mache.
#6 Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Gemstones. I think I have about 100 pieces but that was a collection started by accident. A relative gave me two pieces of quartz and then my mom gave me some, etc, etc. Now I buy/aquire them when I can. Lately I have been into getting unpolished/untumbled ones but they're harder for me to get.
#7 Old 01-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The closest thing to a collection I have is a record collection, and even then I dont call it a "collection"

I have a collection of magic cards sitting in a box under my bed.

My family still gives me coins, even though I haven't collected those in years.

I'm starting to collect SNES games, lets see how long that lasts.
#8 Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

comic books, action figures, john turturro anything...
#9 Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

We just started a collection of crosses. I've been meaning to do it for a while. But my husband finally picked me up a few to get started this Christmas.
#10 Old 01-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive collected inthe past baseball cards, comics, beer cans & pennies. Currently its Mego Micronauts, vintage D&D stuff & fantasy miniature kits.
#11 Old 01-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

dvmarie, are you talking about the Money Cats, with one hand raised and a dollar sign on them somewhere? Or are Happy Cats something different?
#12 Old 01-04-2005, 04:16 PM

I also collect gem stones. I never meant to, but everytime I see some I HAVE to get at least a few. I have about 200 I think, I haven't counted them in a couple years. I used to know all of them by name, but lately my memory's not as good or something and I don't remember all the newer ones.
#13 Old 01-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Oops, I almost forgot. I had a pretty big collection of wrestling tapes, I traded 80% of them into a store last week and got a few good cds.
#14 Old 01-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a collection of matchbooks. I don't really consider it a serious collection or anything; mostly they are there because I just kept taking one every time I visited a restaurant or someplace that offered them. Since I don't smoke the collection just got bigger, although a lot of places don't offer them anymore. Most of the matchbooks are intact, but some are missing matches that I've used to light candles. Since they're mainly cardboard, I stopped using them and prefer wooden matches because they're sturdier.

I also have a collection of lapel pins. I got most of them from my mother. A few of them are real collector's items; one is from the 1930's, some are from the 1940's. I have a whole bunch of duplicate McGovern buttons from the 1972 presidential election. Some pins are Russian; I brought them back from the USSR when we visited in 1976.

I also like to keep bumperstickers and decals that I get in the mail from NPO's, even when I don't send them any money. A LOT of them are duplicates. I also have a genuine "Impeach Nixon" bumpersticker that my mother gave me. I guess she was cleaning out her closets.

*this space not for sale*
#15 Old 01-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to collect my thoughts.
#16 Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

fossils.
#17 Old 01-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

my boyfriend collects Transformers stuff. we have 4 shelves jampacked with the toys in the spare room and a few tshirts, and he has the entire original series on video but wants to get the dvd sets.

personally i've been wanting to collect dragons, i only have a few so far, and knives/swords/daggers. any kind, i'm not picky. we have 3 between the two of us, a LotR replica of Frodo's shortsword and 2 daggers, one of which Michael sent me for secret santa 2 years ago, and it still boggles my mind that he was able to get it across customs by writing "cutlery" on the shipping label

here are some pics from my new digi

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I collect dust.

Seriously if I collect anything it's posters and tickets from interesting events or concerts that I've attended. I frame them together along with whatever memorabilia I get from the event and hang them in my house.
#19 Old 01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline View Post

dvmarie, are you talking about the Money Cats, with one hand raised and a dollar sign on them somewhere? Or are Happy Cats something different?

Yes, but not very many have a dollar sign on them, though I've seen one or two (since Japan's currency is yen.....but again, only a percentage even have a Y sign or have a paw on a pile of yen notes).
#20 Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Cd/Albums and Band T-Shirts
#21 Old 01-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

i collect the marilyn merlots. thats all.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#22 Old 01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I've somehow amassed a collection of about a half-dozen pairs of salt and pepper shakers. It wasn't intentional by any means. They're all animals and they're all antique.

And I guess I'd qualify as a cd/dvd collector as well.

He also collects ...paintings.

I'm a collector of sand from where I travel (and from where friends and relatives travel!) I also collect grocery shopping lists.
#23 Old 01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

my boyfriend collects Transformers stuff. we have 4 shelves jampacked with the toys in the spare room and a few tshirts, and he has the entire original series on video but wants to get the dvd sets.

personally i've been wanting to collect dragons, i only have a few so far, and knives/swords/daggers. any kind, i'm not picky. we have 3 between the two of us, a LotR replica of Frodo's shortsword and 2 daggers, one of which Michael sent me for secret santa 2 years ago, and it still boggles my mind that he was able to get it across customs by writing "cutlery" on the shipping label

here are some pics from my new digi

I need to get me an extra room for my figures, some of them are played with(none of the good ones though), I have soooo much toy junk...I would need to shelve every wall lol!

I am a cd dvd (specifically asian films) collector too...hundreds upon hundreds...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page