This is so sad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Hundreds of animals perish in pet shop fire in West Islip

12/18/04) WEST ISLIP - Hundreds of animals perished in a fire at the BTJs Jungle Pet Shop in West Islip on Saturday. Firefighters say the store quickly became an inferno.

According to fire officials, they battled the blaze from inside the building first, but the situation rapidly deteriorated and the firefighters had to fight the fire from outside of the building..

BTJs Jungle Pet Shop has been in West Islip since 1969 and sold every type of animal. Employees of the pet store say they had more animals than usual in the shop because of the holidays. They say only three animals survived, two ducks and a turkey that lived in the backyard of the store.

Officials say one firefighter sustained minor injuries. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

http://www.news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=126074#

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/st...gion-apnewyork

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Banned

That's sad.
#3 Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG this is literaly the next town over from me. Honestly this pet store was horrible, they had tons of animals packed into small cages and all kinds of exotic animals in tiny cages. It always smelled terrible in there and you could tell a lot of the animals were sick. I remember walking around in there and seeing tons of tanks with dead fish and dead lizards in tanks. When they say there were hundresd of pets they prob weren't exagerating but the sad thing is the store packed with them. I feel so bad for the animals but the store was really a horrible place. I hope they don't get insurance money.
#4 Old 12-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

oh that's horrible and sad.
#5 Old 12-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meg View Post

OMG this is literaly the next town over from me. Honestly this pet store was horrible, they had tons of animals packed into small cages and all kinds of exotic animals in tiny cages. It always smelled terrible in there and you could tell a lot of the animals were sick. I remember walking around in there and seeing tons of tanks with dead fish and dead lizards in tanks. When they say there were hundresd of pets they prob weren't exagerating but the sad thing is the store packed with them. I feel so bad for the animals but the store was really a horrible place. I hope they don't get insurance money.

I had never been in the store. I'm on the north shore of the Island. Those poor animals.
#6 Old 12-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

It's so sad when animals die in fires. Growing up in Vermont the news was filled more often than once of dairy barn fires and dozens of, sometimes over a hundred, cows dying.

There was a fire at a cat shelter in New Orleans a couple years ago and a couple dozen cats died. It was even more sad because they were adult cats that were already owned. They were just being lodged there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page