Changing formats/compressions? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2003, 10:35 PM

Anyone know how to change the format/compression of different files? For example changing a .BMP to a .JPG or MPG to a AVI or vise versa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I believe Irfanview will convert BMP to JPG and vice versa.

http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/english.htm

It is freeware for home (non-commercial) use.

I don't know what might work with the motion picture formats.
#3 Old 01-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Banned

why would you want to go from mpg to avi? mpg is a compressed format and avi is not, all you'll end up doing is getting a bigger file size of the same quality. but anyway, check out vcdhelp.com, it probably tells you.
#4 Old 01-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Banned

irfanview seems good for image files. Download.com is good place to look for image conversion shareware. The GIMP http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html is a free as in speech as well as in beer solution but this is an area where investing in a commercial program such as Adobe Photoshop Elements or Macromedia Fireworks is a good investment. Just about any computer store will have at least 4-5 titles of image conversion programs.

Motion picture formats are really difficult to convert between reliably. Most motion picture (MOV, MPEG) and audio formats (WMA, MP3, OOG, Real) use lossy compression (they compress the file by cutting out information that the person is unlikely to notice). Because different forms of lossy compression use different methods for cutting out information converting between lossy formats is likely to produce glitches and artefacts. Basically the bottom line is that there really is no good way to convert MPEG to MOV or MP3 to OOG.
#5 Old 01-08-2003, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stonecrest

why would you want to go from mpg to avi? mpg is a compressed format and avi is not, all you'll end up doing is getting a bigger file size of the same quality. but anyway, check out vcdhelp.com, it probably tells you.

I don't know a lot about file types and compressions but most avi files I have are smaller than a mpg file. One is only 110MB (avi) compared to 500-600MB (mpg) for the same length and quality. I need something because I have 45 CD's with one file (500-600MB). I thought maybe if I changed the type/compression it would be smaller.
#6 Old 01-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Apple

I don't know a lot about file types and compressions but most avi files I have are smaller than a mpg file. One is only 110MB (avi) compared to 500-600MB (mpg) for the same length and quality.

ah, most likely your avi files are actually divx encodes. divx is a very powerful compression which used to have a different extension but they ended up switching it to just .avi. kind of annoying because you can't sometimes tell if it's an uncompressed video or a divx video. in general though, mpeg is to avi what mp3 is to wav. uncompressed vs. compressed.

the fourth section at http://vcdhelp.com/convert.htm is what you're looking for, there are a ton of programs. but keep in mind that converting to divx means that you're sending the video through another encoding algorithm, which means that the quality of your video will be reduced. hopefully it won't be too noticable, if at all.
#7 Old 01-12-2003, 07:53 AM

Thanks Joe, kirkjobsluder & Stonecrest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page