Get a Job? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Banned

I have to vent about something that really pissed me off today. It was 40 degrees Houston this morning. On my way to work, I passed a homeless man on the sidewalk wearing shorts, a tattered shirt, and flip flops asking for change. Some vile man walked past him and started screaming at him and told him to "get a job". In the past, I have uttered the same exact phrase to panhandlers. Get a job. I have a friend with a masters degree from Rice, and she's been unemployed for almost two years. She has a physical address, a lan line, a cell phone, a nice car, a complete wardrobe ect... and she can't find a job.

My heart broke for that man. It was so cold, and he was wearing shorts!

In the past, everyone that I had trusted had betrayed my trust, and this incudes family members. I had decided that in order to avoid being hurt, I just wouldn't feel anymore. My compassionate side was on ice.

Well, I guess it's coming back, because things like this are starting to hurt me deeply. I've prayed to God to give me compassion, and he answered that prayer.

I just can't believe that I used to walk around treating homeless people like dog crap on the bottom of my shoe. I'm bringing a blanket that I don't use anymore to work tomorrow and giving it to the first homeless person I see.

How the heck does that vile man expect that poor man to get a job?

I know I'm rambling, and maybe I'm not making much sense, but I had to get this out. My friends didn't seem interested in listening to me talk about this, so I'm telling you guys. Being compassionate hurts sometimes, but I would rather feel this than feel nothing at all.

Thanks for letting me *****. I feel better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 AM

Cat Good for you. You'll feel better.

When I used to work downtown, I always brought extra food and hand it out to people who asked for money. I'd tell them I didn't have money, but would they like a hardboiled egg, a carrot, and a juice box. I never had anyone turn me down for food, except those high on meth - and I know it was the meth talking, not them. Sometimes, I just left the food at their feet "in case you change your mind."
#3 Old 12-16-2004, 12:25 AM

Sidenote:

A homeless guy asked me for money for a bus ticket one morning. I gave him money, something I didn't usually do to a stranger in the area; didn't know him well enough if he was a drug user. My heart said to give it to him.

I saw him a while later. In a suit that the Salvation Army gave him. He had gotten a job. He would not have gotten that job if I told him to buzz off and leave me alone.
#4 Old 12-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel so strongly for homeless people. A lot have mentall illnesses and where I live the public hospital system just lets them back out on the street because of the bed shortage. My mother worked at a refuge for homeless men and she used to come home almost in tears often. Once she had this young guy who was schitzophrenic come in - she tried for hours to find a bed for him in a hospital but no go. He was a lovely, intelligent young guy who liked playing guitar and had a really sweet voice. Groups of young street kids would hang around him on his pension day and follow him to the teller where they would 'borrow' all his money. Mum used to talk to him for ages. One night he had a psychotic episode and the local hospitals all refused to take him. He ended up jumping off the roof of the shelter and dying.

There is such a lack of compassion for people that it chills me sometimes when I think of it.
#5 Old 12-16-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

That is really cool Krista! I'm sure he will always remember you for that. With the economy the way it is today, any one of us could be on the streets. If that were to happen to me, I wouldn't want to be treated the way mister vile treated that man.
#6 Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 AM

I thought I was going to be homeless when I lost my job and the credit card balances ran out. At the end, I packed all my things and tried to figure out what local campgrounds would cost the least to camp at for the winter. It was a couple days before my eviction that I managed to get taken in by someone. I was treated horribly, but at least I had a roof.
#7 Old 12-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

What a lot of people don't understand, like you guys were saying, is that many homeless people are mentally ill or addicts. And sure, it's easy to say "well they should stop using drugs!", but it's not that simple, it's an ADDICTION. They literally feel unable to stop, and if they do try, they get incredibly ill, and could even die. There is such a lack of treatment centers and mental hospitals. These people have no where to go. Even shelters get VERY full, and it could be days before one opens up, and even then I think most won't hold a bed for you. So if you go out looking for jobs and come back, your bed is gone and now you're on the street again. Mentally ill people that need to be on medication who can't afford it, so cannot work....I dunno, it just really sucks, and I hate when people think it's just the person being a leach.
#8 Old 12-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've started being more generous to people I meet in the street. I used to be loathe to give money because everyone would say that I was just feeding these folks' drug habit, or that they were probably making a killing from begging.

But then I read an article by someone who had been torn between 'doing the right thing' and not being made a fool of - he said that essentially he would worry about his conscience, and let the people he gave money to worry about their own. Does this make sense? Maybe it's selfish but it's made me feel an awful lot happier about giving money away to people on the streets. I know that ideally I'd give food or whatever but it's not something I tend to have on me when I'm out and about.
#9 Old 12-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Cat Good for you. You'll feel better.

When I used to work downtown, I always brought extra food and hand it out to people who asked for money. I'd tell them I didn't have money, but would they like a hardboiled egg, a carrot, and a juice box. I never had anyone turn me down for food, except those high on meth - and I know it was the meth talking, not them. Sometimes, I just left the food at their feet "in case you change your mind."

I do the same thing! Well, I don't give them eggs ( ) but I give them energy bars or other vegan foods and a flyer about vegan feed-outs. Sometimes they get angry, indignant or even throw it at me (especially the meth-heads and schizophrenics).
#10 Old 12-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

most people just don't realize how close they probably are to being homeless (like krista mentioned). how many people are more than one paycheck away from being on the streeets? esp if you don't have a support network around you.

it's hard for me too. i live in a city with a lot of homeless people and i can't financially afford to give to everyone who asks, tho i long to. i give when i can, esp if people are selling Spare Change News, or asking for food or medicine specifically. i also volunteer at a homeless shelter downtown one night a week serving food and cleaning up. i love the guys i work for there--getting to know them, hearing their story, hearing about their week.

that's something you could think about doing too, catgirl.
#11 Old 12-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

That is really cool Krista! I'm sure he will always remember you for that. With the economy the way it is today, any one of us could be on the streets. If that were to happen to me, I wouldn't want to be treated the way mister vile treated that man.

On the 14th I entered a bit in my Blog on this very topic..Funny how great minds think alike girl. There was a point in my life where I did something similar as your request for compassion. I had the same direct results. I also threw in a "Being a conduit or being an instrument" of a higher power/Karma/What have you, in the aid of others... Although I don't regret it, one should think carefully about what they ask for or want, for it's possible they just might get it.....*L*.. Joking side, if you can change just three persons thought processes on helping those destitute, and encourage them to continue the chain of change along the same lines, life will improve for us all........
#12 Old 12-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

most people just don't realize how close they probably are to being homeless.

Too true. Another thing I have always wondered, why do people only feel inclined to do good deeds for the needy during the holidays? The last time I checked, the homeless were homeless before and after Thanksgiving and Christmas.
#13 Old 12-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

Too true. Another thing I have always wondered, why do people only feel inclined to do good deeds for the needy during the holidays? The last time I checked, the homeless were homeless before and after Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I think it's cause we realise how much we have at those times.and it's colder....and it's a seasonal story thing too.. You know the Charles Dickens stuff......... Albiet they need consideration year-round. Thankfully more consider now than not at all......I guess........*sighhh*
#14 Old 12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

With regard to people being homeless other times of the year, not just Christmas and Thanksgiving, I concur with Tash on it being a seasonal thing. Every year as soon as a cold snap hits, I weed out my under utilized winter clothes and make a trip to a shelter/donation center of some sort. I also live in the city, and homelessness is in my face, so it makes my bones cold to see someone outside and cold. Why should I keep a bunch of stuff I don't wear often in a storage box when temps are dropping into the 20's at night and the shelter is full. Shoot, my house is 100 years old (translation ~ crummy windows), it gets cold in there at night, I can't imagine what it's like on a park bench or on a corner, or under an overpass.

Catgirl67, I worked in Washington, DC right out of college. I got beat down by folks begging for coin every day, so I'd give a little here, little there, food if I had it, whatever. One afternoon coming out of the subway, I gave a guy the loose change I had in my coat pocket. Instead of thanking me, he picked the pennies out and threw them in the street. That started my "get a job" mentality. I hated to be like that and somewhere along the line, I started to realize that many people are about a paycheck away from the streets ~ including me.

Then when I moved to Baltimore, I changed my tune a bit. There are still the pushy panhandlers looking for "food" (their next bottle or rock). Then again, there's the guy who with the biggest smile on his face says to me one day, "Hey lady, can I get a buck so I can go buy a beer?" That guy got my money. He's not lying about what he's doing. Then there's the guy outside the Quick Mart who asked for a quarter and I pull the change out of my pocket to get that quarter and he sees the crumpled up dollar bill and says "well, how about that dollar." He got a quarter and "you asked for a quarter, shoulda asked for the dollar never know what folks got in their pockets" with a smile ~ not a kiss my a** smile, but a "hey dude....gotcha!" and he laughed.

I don't know really where I was headed with this, but I think I had some sort of epiphany. These people do need our compassion....and our money....and our used warm clothes and food. If you've got it to spare and someone needs it, homeless or not, share, you could be looking for a handout next winter.
#15 Old 12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to help more homeless people, and I used to give change when I had the chance. But then I learned that some of them turn around and take it to the liquor store, or to the drug store for cough syrup with narcotic in it or lysol with alcohol in it.

So while I still would like to help these people (I understand addiction) I don't want to help their addiction. I usually do donate money to Salvation Army and such, though.
#16 Old 12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawngirl View Post

With regard to people being homeless other times of the year, not just Christmas and Thanksgiving, I concur with Tash on it being a seasonal thing. Every year as soon as a cold snap hits, I weed out my under utilized winter clothes and make a trip to a shelter/donation center of some sort. I also live in the city, and homelessness is in my face, so it makes my bones cold to see someone outside and cold. Why should I keep a bunch of stuff I don't wear often in a storage box when temps are dropping into the 20's at night and the shelter is full. Shoot, my house is 100 years old (translation ~ crummy windows), it gets cold in there at night, I can't imagine what it's like on a park bench or on a corner, or under an overpass.

Catgirl67, I worked in Washington, DC right out of college. I got beat down by folks begging for coin every day, so I'd give a little here, little there, food if I had it, whatever. One afternoon coming out of the subway, I gave a guy the loose change I had in my coat pocket. Instead of thanking me, he picked the pennies out and threw them in the street. That started my "get a job" mentality. I hated to be like that and somewhere along the line, I started to realize that many people are about a paycheck away from the streets ~ including me.

Then when I moved to Baltimore, I changed my tune a bit. There are still the pushy panhandlers looking for "food" (their next bottle or rock). Then again, there's the guy who with the biggest smile on his face says to me one day, "Hey lady, can I get a buck so I can go buy a beer?" That guy got my money. He's not lying about what he's doing. Then there's the guy outside the Quick Mart who asked for a quarter and I pull the change out of my pocket to get that quarter and he sees the crumpled up dollar bill and says "well, how about that dollar." He got a quarter and "you asked for a quarter, shoulda asked for the dollar never know what folks got in their pockets" with a smile ~ not a kiss my a** smile, but a "hey dude....gotcha!" and he laughed.

I don't know really where I was headed with this, but I think I had some sort of epiphany. These people do need our compassion....and our money....and our used warm clothes and food. If you've got it to spare and someone needs it, homeless or not, share, you could be looking for a handout next winter.

I know exactly where you are coming from. There are some people I won't give a red cent to. When they ask for money for food, and I offer them food, and they say F'you, etc.

I'm just trying to treat them like the human beings that they are.

My dad used to live in D.C. I know exactly what you are talking about being hit up at every corner.

I had a man tell me one day that he was doing beer research, and wanted to know if I would donate to his research grant. How could I say no to that?
#17 Old 12-16-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I would like to help more homeless people, and I used to give change when I had the chance. But then I learned that some of them turn around and take it to the liquor store, or to the drug store for cough syrup with narcotic in it or lysol with alcohol in it.

So while I still would like to help these people (I understand addiction) I don't want to help their addiction. I usually do donate money to Salvation Army and such, though.

Then do I do: carry a backpack with you with a few extra snacks and say, "I dont' have any money, but if you're hungry, I have some extra food I wouldn't mind sharing."
#18 Old 12-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

What I try to do when I don't have change or food, is at least smile at them and tell them that I don't have anything. I at least try to acknowledge their existance. I hate seeing people looking right through them as if they are invisible.
#19 Old 12-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Krista: That might work, when I move back to the city. I'm out in the country now. But I'll try it. :-) Granola bars and apples and stuff could work.

Catgirl: Yeah, I feel bad for them for that reason too. They must get pretty lonely, everyone treating them like a tree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page