Your job? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Beginner

I thought this may an ok place to post this. Just thought it would be neat to see what other vegan/vegetarians out there do in the workplace. I am sure we are as varied as we are different but thought it would be neat to share what we all do for a living!

I work in the mental health field, as a secretary in an inpatient adolescent psych unit. The work is fascintating and also very VERY stressful. No day is the same! I am also a student studying psychology.

~~ by the way, apologies if this has been posted before...didn't think I'd seen another thread like it here~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2004, 10:50 PM

What's everyone do?

Don't worry - students and unemployed are very welcome here!

I work customer service for a cell phone company in Canada. I get extremely well to spend 7.5 hours a day listening to people tell me how much we suck and are overpriced...and then renew their contracts with us. On occasion, I get a "live one" (as we call them) where I have to say, "control your temper or I will release this call."

The greatest thing about our job is that they have a zero tolerance for us being abused. I know the Canadians who work for the US AT&T wireless (some of their customer service is up here) and they were required to put up with a lot of abuse for half my pay. I wouldn't have lasted there.
#3 Old 12-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I work 3rd shift at a homeless shelter as the database administrator and the front desk receptionist.

I have a lot of free time at work, and access to the internet, so I spend a lot of time on VB.
#4 Old 12-15-2004, 10:56 PM

Let's see..

When I actually get called in, im a VP of Admin Services for a Development Corp.

I'm also a college student. That is all.
#5 Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a professional hairstylist and makeup artist. I had big dreams of building my portfolio and getting into an agency so I could make the big bucks....but when I got pregnant, my dreams for my future became focused on my son. I'm glad my job has taken the back seat...I was working 10-14 hour days for so many years. The money isn't as good just working part time, but my son more than makes up for it!!
#6 Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 PM

just realized there is a similar thread in the family section.

Would a mod join these pls? Sorry.
#7 Old 12-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Full time student, but right now I'm working part time as the supplements assistant in a Health Food Store. It's fitting, I suppose. I get a discount on groceries.
#8 Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 PM

Right now I'm a manager/buyer at a supplement shop. I also do marketing and demos for various supplement companies on occasion. I like it, but I don't love it. my husband and I are working hard at starting up our own business in the next few months. I hope we will love it.
#9 Old 12-15-2004, 11:27 PM

Thanks mod gods
#10 Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

At the moment? I'm a video store clerk.

What should I be doing? Software development. I even have this nifty degree that says I'm edumacated. But the job market is teh evil.

That's not totally accurate -- I left my last job because I disliked the work (and the company). I was hoping to find something better, but no luck so far.

The video store doesn't even cover my rent, but it's better than no income at all. And I have savings that will last a while longer. But I still want a real job.
#11 Old 12-16-2004, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

student/illustrator/(writer-best term I can think of to describe this part of my job)
#12 Old 12-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I work as Community Affairs Officer for a large UK snacks manufacturer. That's basically doing all the charitable and community work - organising employee volunteer programmes, deciding which charities we'll support, that kind of stuff. I'm bilingual so I often end up doing translations for the company too and up until recently travelled to Northern Europe about twice a week.

That's it. I enjoy it, the pay is very good, the hours are great (8.30 till 4.30) and it's a 15 minute walk from my house! Can't complain really.
#13 Old 12-16-2004, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not working ( as in paid work) at the moment. I'd bring the server down if I tried to post all the jobs I've ever had. When I had a 'career' it was in public relations and sales, but one day I dropped out of the rat race and downsized. So nowadays I work flat out for 3 or 4 months a year doing casual work outdoors, and that brings in enough money for me to live modestly paid-work free the rest of the year.

It's the lotus eater life for me
#14 Old 12-16-2004, 03:35 AM

I have 3 jobs and work 76 hours per week. Here they are:

Adminstrative support for a HVAC parts and equipment distributer. Mon-Fri, daytime, 40 hours per week.

Grocery clerk for Wild Oats. Mon-Fri, evenings, 20 hours per week.

Front desk agent for a Marriott hotel. Sat. & Sun, 7am-3pm, 16 hours per week.

I was recently offered a promotion within Wild Oats and it requires me to move to Louisville. Most llikely, I will be accepting this offer and moving really soon. I want to continue to advance within Wild Oats until I get to the point of being a store director. I am grateful that Wild Oats offers an opportunity for advancement in such a quick fashion (as I have only been there for 3 months). I like Wild Oats the best of my 3 jobs even though, at this point, it doesn't pay the best of the three. However, once I get ot where I want to be, a store director, they make very good money.
#15 Old 12-16-2004, 04:01 AM

I do bookkeeping & clerical work for a heavy-construction company that specializes in bridge building. I'm not crazy about the work, but the owners are wonderful, and they treat us fairly. Also, there's not the usual office politics, with an "in" crowd to suck up to, and gossipy people to avoid. I'm pretty lucky to be working there, I think.
#16 Old 12-16-2004, 04:17 AM

I'm a sahm to my wonderful son, Baylor, 21 months old.

I'm going to go back to school when he's 3. For what, I do not know!
#17 Old 12-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I am an unemployed bum.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 12-16-2004, 05:02 AM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I'm a teacher studying to be a therapist. I teach during the morning and then go to my internship site and counsel kids and adults at a community center.
#19 Old 12-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Baby Love

Architect is me.
#20 Old 12-16-2004, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I sell advertising space
#21 Old 12-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a programmer/analyst.
#22 Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

In my profile it says I'm an Office B***H! But this year I was promoted to Marketing Manager.
#23 Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Beginner

I'm a real estate assistant and a small business owner.
#24 Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to be a computer/database geek at a newspaper. But that's winding up finally.

So now, I'm a SAHM to Jeremy & Justin. Jeremy is in full-day kindergarten though. My nephew PJ spends 3 days a week with us now as well.

I'm also an Arbonne consultant. I've been mostly buying stuff for myself though (gotta love that discount) but I have plans to become the queen of the world via Arbonne. So be nice to me now.
#25 Old 12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I am the editor of several trade publications.
#26 Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a server at a vegetarian resturant, The Peaceful Dragon. In march I'm starting Johnson and Wales and majoring in Baking and Pastry arts. My goal is to own my own vegan bed and breakfast with a couple of animals adopted from farm sanctuary.
#27 Old 12-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

I'm a server at a vegetarian resturant, The Peaceful Dragon. In march I'm starting Johnson and Wales and majoring in Baking and Pastry arts. My goal is to own my own vegan bed and breakfast with a couple of animals adopted from farm sanctuary.

Mr. Meatless and I have talked about that sort of thing too.

Would the animals be your business partners?
#28 Old 12-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Mr. Meatless and I have talked about that sort of thing too.

Would the animals be your business partners?

I guess I could have worded that better, lol. No, I wouldn't bother the animals with the ins and outs of the business, their job would be to look cute, eat lots and let people fuss over them.
#29 Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Doctor. Yes, you read that correctly. Don't make me pull ou the big guns!

I don't feel like explaining myself or being picked apart, but suffice it to say, I do a lot more that just that...I volunteer for Food Not Bombs and work closely to be sure that the homeless/youth have access to Vegan food, education and health care. I have interesting/alternative ways of fund-raising and am quite good at it. I am also a performer and a creative force to recon with
#30 Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

their job would be to look cute, eat lots and let people fuss over them.

I think they can handle that with no trouble!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page