I'm surrounded by thieving slime!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry all, but I just need to rant for a moment...

My car, which is old, rusty and unreliable, has been acting up lately. Last week I took it out to do some Christmas shopping but had to turn around and come back home because the engine started smoking. When I opened up the hood I found that, sure enough, the coolant reservoir was dry. So I left the car parked behind my building for several days (I walk to work and generally don't drive much) until I finally got time, this morning, to head down to the gas station and get some coolant. So I did that (in the snow, mind you, so by the time I got back to my car my socks were cold and wet)...opened my hood to pour in the coolant...and lo and behold, somebody had stolen my battery right out of my car.

Mind you, this was partially my fault...the hood hasn't closed all the way for a month or more and I've been too busy to get it fixed. All that's holding it shut is the little latch in front. And what's more, I have had problems with local hooligans breaking into my car looking for money or cigarettes or whatever. They've never taken anything (just rummaged through my glove compartment) so it never bothered me much. My landlord recently installed motion-sensitive lights behind the building so I thought the problem was solved.

But oh-no. This wasn't an act of kids or junkies. What can you do with a stolen car battery? I think it was another resident of my building, or one of the neighboring buildings, who got a dead battery, noticed my half-open hood, and thought it would be easier to steal my battery than go out and buy a new one. Merry *$#@ing Christmas to Ludwig.

So I'm calling my landlord today to tell him what happened, and that I suspect it was one of my own uber-cheap thieving neighbors. Really puts you in the giving spirit, doesn't it?

thanks to anyone who read this far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

That's horrible! It's not really your fault some cruel person stole from you so don't blame yourself. I hope your Christmas turns out well dispite this!
#3 Old 12-12-2004, 11:03 AM

#4 Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

That stinks. The poor slime was most likely trying to scrounge up some cash for Chirstmas shopping by swiping a battery then selling it, which is the sad thing.

Or not.

But yeah, my house has been broken into about 5 times and my dad's truck stolen out of the driveway, so I know how it goes.

Good luck talking with your landlord...hope everything gets straightened out...

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 12-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Thats too bad!
#6 Old 12-12-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post

Mind you, this was partially my fault...

Uh, nope. Unless you had a sign on the hood saying something to the like of "free battery"...the fault lies with the "thieving slime".

Sorry this happened to you...crap like this can put one in a bad mood.

On the plus side, now Thalia knows what to get you for Christmas! (kiddding...kidding)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 12-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry...that sucks !

((((hugg))))
#8 Old 12-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

LudwigB, I feel for ya. My purse was stolen. I would have preferred that whomever did it, just take the stinkin money and go. But no...they had to make sure that they took my glasses, a poem (tucked in a wallet pocket) written by my hubby when we were first married, a picture my daughter made me when she was four, and pictures of family members who have all passed away (no duplicates to be had). Mind you, they probably got tossed in a river or a dumpster... Merry Christmas!
#9 Old 12-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I am sorry to hear this. You were victimized and not at fault.

Back in the early 80s I drove into NYC to use the library at Columbia U.

I parked on the street outside the International House. At the time, my 1972 vehicle did not have a lock on the hood. So someone came along and stole my battery. A (male) librarian I knew at Columbia was kind enough to put me up for the night. My Dad drove in to the city with a new battery the next morning. I later bought a lock for the hood that you needed to open by a key from inside the vehicle. This might or might not be an appropriate thing for you to do. As I recall, the lock was not very expensive. But my hood was not damaged in any way.

My current vehicle, a 1985 Chevy Blazer, has a hood latch that must be opened from inside the vehicle.
#10 Old 12-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 12-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww, that sucks We had our van's passanger window smashed before, just so that someone could steal some burnt-cd's. I'm sure the cds were just tossed a few blocks away once they person realized they weren't worth anything. Unfortunately some people will steal just about anything- sucks Sorry it had to happen to you!
#12 Old 12-12-2004, 04:50 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I just got a lift from someone who had her (back) seatbelt knicked. What in the world would someone nick a seatbelt for? Seems very crazy to me. Sorry your battery was taken, again it seems an odd thing to take.

Kat
#13 Old 12-12-2004, 04:53 PM

Where's that machine gun smilie when you need it!

I would be furious if someone stole from me. It's that feeling of violation, more than anything else. I say you hunt them down like dogs (well, robot dogs, because real dogs are cool and you wouldn't want to hunt them down, right? Ah, hell, you know what I mean.)

The Rev
#14 Old 12-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

I just got a lift from someone who had her (back) seatbelt knicked. What in the world would someone nick a seatbelt for? Seems very crazy to me. Sorry your battery was taken, again it seems an odd thing to take.

Kat

They could sell it on the back-seatbelt black market.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 12-12-2004, 05:03 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

They could sell it on the back-seatbelt black market.

#16 Old 12-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

#17 Old 12-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Dang LudwigB, that stinks. I don't have anything original or thought provoking to say. But man, that stinks. I worked on the west bank of the flats this summer, and cars got busted into EVERY DAY. I was lucky, my boss wasn't. Ugh.
#18 Old 12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

If a miracle happens, and you find out who stole your battery, let us know! What a bummer!
#19 Old 12-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually know what it feels like to have your battery stolen. And it SUCKS! When I was in high school, I used to drive a '68 Mustang and it had no "internal-only" hood latch. I went into a grocery store to buy some soda (back when I still drank it) and came out not 10 minutes later to find my hood up, and the battery gone. What was more, the battery connector cables had both been cut (I found them across the street in a Hardee's parking lot) so I was doubly up a creek.

Sorry that this happened, Ludwig. Not that it makes you feel any better, but whoever the butthole was that did this to you will have theirs coming to them at some point later. Condolences, and wishes for better luck in the future!
#20 Old 12-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

Aww, that sucks We had our van's passanger window smashed before, just so that someone could steal some burnt-cd's. I'm sure the cds were just tossed a few blocks away once they person realized they weren't worth anything. Unfortunately some people will steal just about anything- sucks Sorry it had to happen to you!

My car was broken in to, and the theives stole the sun-visor cd holder full of burnt cds, and left behind all the original cds in my glove box. I guess they didn't like my taste in music.
#21 Old 12-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the comments everyone. I never even thought to double-check the cables...hate to have to make a second trip out to the auto parts store in a borrowed car...

and to add insult to injury, my battery was $65 because it's an off size. AND in the store it was advertised for something like $45, but they said "that's after you turn in your old battery for recycling and get a rebate". I told them my old battery had been stolen and could therefore not be returned for rebate, and they said "sorry, no exceptions."

Anyway, at least I can make it in to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page