robbers scared away by GTA - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/121...videogame.html

ABC13 Eyewitness News

(12/11/04 SANTA FE, TX) A video game notorious for violence and mature content may have actually saved a Santa Fe family.

Back in March, Sandy Wilson was taking care of her three grandsons when a group of men attempted to burglarize her home, pointing a gun at the kids.

The children happened to be playing a video game called Grand Theft Auto at the time. The game has dozens of random police scanner messages, which blare out calls such as "This is the police! Youre surrounded!" Believe it or not, Wilson says the burglars heard that message and thought police were outside the door waiting for them.

Galveston County Asst DA Michael Elliott explained, "The police in the game were staying, 'Stop, we have you surrounded. This is the police. The burglar, unknowingly, thought this was the actual police and panicked ... being apprehended by Playstation."

"Thinking that it was pretty funny," recalled young victim Chaze Fisher. "How they were, like, ran off, and they got all scared over a game."

Police arrested the four men. Samuel Woodrow received a five-year prison sentence this week. Ronnie Farris is serving four years. Lucas Griffin got probation. And Zachary Brandenburgs trial is in January.

(Copyright © 2004, KTRK-TV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

doesn't bother me that this was moved...but why isn't it supposed to be in the news section? its directly off of a news website
#3 Old 12-12-2004, 06:47 AM

The News Section rules says:

This forum is for posting and discussion news items involving veg*n and animal issues.

And:

If you are posting a news item not related to veg*nism or animal issues then please post it in the Veggie Patch.

But they are apparently not consequently enforced..
#4 Old 12-12-2004, 07:05 AM

I think that is awesome! I am also glad that the children did not have a wus for a parent. You know the type, the kind that forbid their children to play cool games Like GTA.
#5 Old 12-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

This is part of the Permanent post at the top of the news section. It is why your thread got moved. Nothing personal, I'm sure.

Quote:
Read Before Posting In The News Forum!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This forum is for posting and discussion news items involving veg*n and animal issues.

If you are posting a news item not related to veg*nism or animal issues then please post it in the Veggie Patch.

#6 Old 12-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

That's so funny.
#7 Old 12-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Reminds me of the trick in the Home Alone movies.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

I think that is awesome! I am also glad that the children did not have a wus for a parent. You know the type, the kind that forbid their children to play cool games Like GTA.

errr... now i haven't played it personally but i'm told the newest one (San Andreas) actually has hookers which you can pick up, rape and then murder. i wouldn't let my kids play that crap and i'm not a wus about these things. i grew up on horror and action movies and my kids will too if i ever have any but i would NOT let them anywhere near that game!

i sell it at work and the back of the box under the rating (17+) it says something like this...

strong violence

blood

strong language

strong sexuality

drug use

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 12-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I need that game...... I must check to see if they support it on WineX (What's it called now?)....
#10 Old 12-13-2004, 03:15 AM

It's only a game, geesh!
#11 Old 12-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

you'd let a, say, 8 year old play a game that involves raping women? like actually physically making your character force sex on another character?

dude, that's sick

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 12-13-2004, 03:18 PM

I'd let my 8 year old play any game he or she wanted to as long as I didn't have a wife that griped about it. As opposed to hearing her whine about it, I'd just go along with her and forbid the game in that case.

I have played the GTA games. You don't rape the women. You pick them up. If you then drive to certain spots in the game and park, the car will shake (to simulate sex in the car). I do not see the game anymore violent than what is shown on television. There are shootings in Bugs Bunny cartoons for crying out loud.
#13 Old 12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I read this thread as "robber scared away by Greater Toronto Area" and thought "Oh my, has Canada gotten that bad?" See kids, this is why you get eye checkups every year and get your dose of caffeine.

On another note my little brother plays that game. With so much of these games it isn't just about the rating. It's also how mature your child is and whether, as a parent, you are responsible enough to make sure your child doesn't think "Ooohh picking up hookers is cool." Just my two cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page