Darn Deer ... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I was driving my dad on an errand.

As we were on our way home (at dusk) my dad said, "Deer!"

I looked to the side of the road and saw a young doe running toward the road. Unfortunately, I had traffic behind me and oncoming traffic in the other lane.

I slowed as much as I could as she hesitated.

She looked back over her shoulder toward the woods and then jumped toward the road.

She clipped the side of the car and tore off the rear view mirror on my father's side of the car.

But we were so very very fortunate.

My father was riding in the front seat - which he is not supposed to do after his open heart surgery - because he cannot get in and out of the back seat.

If the deer had jumped out sooner she would have hit the front end of the car and deployed the passenger side airbag. Which would have killed my father. Or she could have come through the windshield. Which would also have killed my father.

I feel bad for the deer who is likely injured. But I can't help but wish she'd been smarter and run back toward the woods. I cannot get her look of panic and fear out of my mind.

But I am thanking God for sparing us a much worse accident.

ETA - I have deleted the "stupid" reference to the deer. But that doesn't mean that I don't wish that these animals had been created just a bit smarter so that they'd be able to better protect themselves from the people who wish to harm them, or don't wish to but end up doing it anyway.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It's hunting season now isnt it?

Something I have never really seen a study on is the amount of deer related accidents during the time they really have a reason to be spooked.

If it isnt hunting season then just chalk this up to being a random thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Yesterday I was driving my dad on an errand.

As we were on our way home (at dusk) my dad said, "Deer!"

I looked to the side of the road and saw a young doe running toward the road. Unfortunately, I had traffic behind me and oncoming traffic in the other lane.

I slowed as much as I could as she hesitated.

She looked back over her shoulder toward the woods and then jumped toward the road.

She clipped the side of the car and tore off the rear view mirror on my father's side of the car.

But we were so very very fortunate.

My father was riding in the front seat - which he is not supposed to do after his open heart surgery - because he cannot get in and out of the back seat.

If the deer had jumped out sooner she would have hit the front end of the car and deployed the passenger side airbag. Which would have killed my father. Or she could have come through the windshield. Which would also have killed my father.

I feel bad for the deer who is likely injured. But I can't help but wish she'd been smarter and run back toward the woods. I cannot get her look of panic and fear out of my mind.

But I am thanking God for sparing us a much worse accident.

#3 Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

It's hunting season now isnt it?

Something I have never really seen a study on is the amount of deer related accidents during the time they really have a reason to be spooked.

If it isnt hunting season then just chalk this up to being a random thought.

Probably is. I don't know for sure. Not being a hunter I don't usually keep up with these things. But you probably have a point.

I just keep wishing she'd run back the way she was looking.

#4 Old 11-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think the deer was stupid, probably just scared. I know even when I am scared, I freeze up and I haven't even dealt with people coming into my home and shooting at me.

I am sorry this happened to you, I have hit a deer(during hunting season actually). Dusk is a bad time to be out on the roads in North Dakota during hunting season. It is so hard to see anything. It can be quite a scare. I know one lady that lived in rural ND and she hit 8 deer in the 10 years she lived on her farm.
#5 Old 11-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

How utterly terrifying!! I am so glad you are ok..I noticed,many animals seem to run towards you..I have no idea why.Squirrls do that do..run away,then run back-only to be killed.

There is a new device,that lets out a sound of some kind,to warn animals,about your car coming.It would be a good idea for people in areas with lots of wildlife ect..

Glad you guys are both ok!!
#6 Old 11-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

From what I've been told by some people I knew in my past that were hunters, the fall is mating season for deer, as well as hunting season. There is an increase in activity because they're all running around in heat ~ a sort of hormonal insanity takes over. The increased activity, plus societal encroachment on natural deer habitats causes the deer to end up on the roads a lot more.

So happy you were not injured Mrskey, your father also.
#7 Old 11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm glad neither you nor your father were injured or killed.

It's too bad about the doe, too... but you did everything you reasonably could have to avoid her. Hopefully she'll recover, and avoid cars from now on.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#8 Old 11-22-2004, 10:49 AM

deer are skiddish. ( spl ? ) it was just being a deer. and you were just being a motorist who didnt see the deer.
#9 Old 11-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Baby Love

It is hunting season. In St. Louis county we have a huge deer population and they have actually been encouraging people in this area to go hunting as accidents are currently a serious problem I don't think this is a deer stupidity issue, they are just scared and confused. Can you blame them? I've known multiple people that have been killed in similar situations. I'm glad everyone is alright!
#10 Old 11-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3gan View Post

deer are skiddish. ( spl ? ) it was just being a deer. and you were just being a motorist who didnt see the deer.

Excuse me.

I saw the deer. I was a motorist who couldn't do anything about the deer. I did every thing I could to avoid the deer short of swerving into oncoming traffic or slamming on my brakes and causing a multi-car pile up.

I slowed as much as was possible. I didn't even blow my horn because I know that would have spooked the deer even more than she was already.

What should I have done? Caused a mutli-car accident and likely killed my father who is recovering from open heart surgery?

#11 Old 11-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you and your dad are ok and that there was nothing really major done to the car (a rear view mirror is cheap to replace compared to a lot of other body work).

My mother-in-law has hit a deer and a moose. Both times it was when she was driving at night in rural Connecticutt by herself. She's lucky nothing happened to her and that the damage done to her car both times was minimal.
#12 Old 11-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'm glad neither you nor your father were injured or killed.

It's too bad about the doe, too... but you did everything you reasonably could have to avoid her. Hopefully she'll recover, and avoid cars from now on.

I think it is reasonably likely that the doe is not seriously injurded.

The only damage to the car was the break-away rear view mirror is gone. And there was no blood on the side of the car.

When I went back to the impact site she wasn't lying on the side of the road or in the open area between the road and the woods.

I didn't see any blood trail and I didn't see any tracks that indicated that she was dragging a broken limb.

Hopefully she is just bruised and scared.

#13 Old 11-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

I'm glad you and your dad are ok and that there was nothing really major done to the car (a rear view mirror is cheap to replace compared to a lot of other body work).

My mother-in-law has hit a deer and a moose. Both times it was when she was driving at night in rural Connecticutt by herself. She's lucky nothing happened to her and that the damage done to her car both times was minimal.

Now that I know that everyone is okay I am glad that the damage to my mom's car was relatively minor, too!

My first reaction was to worry about my dad - who is a bit more sore today after flinching in anticipation of the impact. Then to worry about the deer. Then I worried about the deer some more. Then I worried about the car.

Just a couple of seconds either way and it all would have been so much worse.

The odd thing is that during the past week of driving my dad around I've been so worried about having an accident because until dad's rib cage heals he's being held together by wire and super glue ... so any accident that deploys the airbags would probably kill him.

Then this!

Now I just can't help thinking about that poor deer.

Once I got home and the adrenaline rush wore off I threw up!

#14 Old 11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Try not too worry too much. If there's such a thing as a good way to hit an animal with a car, it sounds like this was it. You did what you could to avoid hitting the deer badly and avoided causing a big wreck.
#15 Old 11-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

scary. lucky nobody got hurt.

things like that really freak me out, where a second or an inch could result in something really bad. really makes me believe that our lives (and deaths) are mapped out before we're even born. just wasn't his time or yours, or that deer's it sounds like.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#16 Old 11-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

That would have freaked me out. I get extremely nervous whenever I see any unrestrained animal near a road. It gives me flashbacks. I'm glad you two were ok. How scary that an airbag is such a danger!
#17 Old 11-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had a similar scare with a kangaroo. Because of the drought they are coming in closer and closer to the houses looking for water and grass. I see dead kangaroos on the side of the road almost everyday. It's really upsetting. We muck around with their environment/habitat and then they get killed by cars when they try to adapt.
#18 Old 11-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Banned

Awwe, don't call it "stupid"! It's not the deer's fault the stupid humans are cutting down all of the forests to building roads, buildings, and parking lots.
#19 Old 11-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

See highlighted section...

Hunting Causes Deer/Auto Collisions Survey

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/news...ns-survey.html

Darien, Connecticut Friends of Animals (FoA) concluded a nationwide survey into the magnitude, characteristics, and underlying causes of highway collisions between deer and automobiles, and has determined that hunting is an important cause of many deer/auto collisions.

This first-of-its-kind survey represents a thorough analysis of data supplied by participating state wildlife and transportation agencies, supplemented with information from insurance agencies and wildlife biologists.

FoA's president Priscilla Feral says, "FoA's report points to persuasive evidence from 33 reporting U.S. states that indicates a three fold-increase in deer/auto collisions during the months of October, November, and December: Hunting Season."

Each year, nearly 500,000 collisions between deer and automobiles are reported in the United States. Deer are killed in nearly all of these accidents, and more than 100 humans die as well. Another 10,000 humans suffer injuries inflicted by these accidents.

Insurance companies dole out about $1 billion in claims each year to cover deer/auto collisions, adding financial burden to the human and non-human suffering costs of these accidents.

"As autumn approaches, hunters and their apologists at state wildlife agencies tout the need to "control" deer numbers as a method for reducing the incidence of deer/auto collisions on the nation's highways," Feral says. "And," she adds, "the budgets of state wildlife agencies are tied to revenues received from hunting licenses and related transactions. These apologists may be apprehensive of probing into any potential linking between increases in deer/auto collisions and the occurrence of hunting."

"Based on FoA's findings," Feral says, "one can make a valid argument that hunters actually contribute to the increase in deer/auto collisions by serving as agents provocateurs who, by their presence and predatory activities in deer habitat, incite the deer to incautious, evasive flight, resulting in collisions. Deer are normally very cautious when entering an open area, such as a road. When pursued, they will abandon this prudence and bolt across a road without even slowing down."

Connecticut reports 3,098 deer killed during 2000. Of these, 1,495 deer (48.26 percent) were killed during the three month period of October to December while the remaining 1,603 deer (51.74 percent) were killed during the nine month period of January to September.

The Erie Insurance Group, Pennsylvania's second largest insurer, observes, "Last year, Erie Insurance received an average of 34 claims a day. That number rose nearly five times on the first day of buck season and doe season for 157 and 160 deer losses, respectively."

The states of Pa., Ala., Minn., N.M., Ore., S.D., Texas, and Wash. don't collect any data on deer/auto collisions despite the costs in suffering and financial loss incurred by their citizens.

FoA's report finds that most deer/auto collisions occur during early morning and early evening hours, which coincide with peak hunting hours.

The report calls for the adoption of universal standards in reporting deer/auto collisions, the establishment of campaigns to promote technology that would ameliorate collisions, and a driver's education campaign.

Ultimately, FoA concludes that all hunting should be discontinued. Says Feral, "On the score of safety alone, there is enough evidence to warrant an end to the violent and dangerous practices of hunting."

The number of hunters in the United States has been in serious, steady decline as indicated in data from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service 's 2001 National Survey. In 1996, there were 13,975,000 licensed hunters in the U.S. Today there are 13,034,000. In the last five years, 941,000 persons or 7 percent of the 1996 figure have abandoned hunting.

In contrast, nonviolent, wildlife-watching activities such as observing, feeding, and photographing wildlife are on the rise. In 2001, 66 million 31 percent of U.S. residents enjoyed wildlife-watching activities, and spent $40 billion on their activities.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 11-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

ETA - I have deleted the "stupid" reference to the deer. But that doesn't mean that I don't wish that these animals had been created just a bit smarter so that they'd be able to better protect themselves from the people who wish to harm them, or don't wish to but end up doing it anyway.

When they were "created" there weren't any cars. They used to be able to protect themselves as well as they ever needed to be.
#21 Old 11-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

A similar thing happened to my family a few years back. We were driving on a backroad in Wisconsin, heavily wooded. My dad was driving, and he saw a deer and stopped for it. The deer and its doe hopped across the street happy as can be. But when we started moving again, the doe turned back and decided to cross back to the other side. It hit the front bumper of the car and flew over the hood of the vehicle (still alive). I will never forget the sight of that deer being hurled over the front windshield *shudder*.

I'm glad that no one was hurt, MrsKey. You did the right things

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page