Quarter Life Crisis - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Beginner

I guess I'm just having your typical "quarter life crisis" but I'd really appreciate some advice...

I'm a first year accounting major. I choose this because I've always been good at math and everyone told me how much money I could be making with a bachelor's. Well I am almost through my first semester and I don't mind saying right now, I don't care if I ever see another T-Account as long as I live! I just feel like this isn't for me, what I would really love to do (women's studies) is a degree that will never get me a job and no one I've asked seems to think it's a good idea. They encourage me that I'm only just finishing my first semester and that I should really give this a good try. I feel like I'm going to scream with all of the logic being crammed into my head, I want creativity, I want history, I want to write papers, I want to exercise my right to think think think! Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of thinking that comes along with accounting but not the kind I need right now.

Any input? Anyone know of jobs you CAN get with a women's studies degree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You could be a women's studies professor. Other than that... I'm not sure.
#3 Old 11-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Lover View Post

I just feel like this isn't for me, what I would really love to do (women's studies) is a degree that will never get me a job and no one I've asked seems to think it's a good idea.

Drop everything and change your major. Now.

Okay, that sounded like a really harsh, bitter thing to say...but I can speak from experience. In college, I chose to major in a subject which I sort of "fell into" after taking one course. So my freshman year I declared my major as (gulp) chemical engineering, thinking that I would be virtually guaranteed a good job right out of college (the economy was great at that time, and being right out of high school I thought I knew everything).

Within two years I was ready to vomit. I HATED what I was studying, I HATED the Jolt cola-drinking 30-year-old virgins I went to class with, and the thought of doing it all for a living made me want to hang myself. Worse yet, I found I had not been able to study the subjects that I truly did find interesting (philosophy, music) because my schedule had been filled to the brim by my major. But it was too late. I was able to rescue myself by entering graduate school in something tangentially related (pure, theoretical sciences) which I do enjoy immensely. And now I finally feel that I'm in the right place...fortunately, I'm not at all bothered by the fact that my old college chums are now making well over twice what I make doing half as much work.

I don't know what your financial situation is like, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you so choose. But believe me, having a degree in a subject you dislike while having missed out on studying subjects you DO like is a very, very disheartening feeling. I've been out of college for years and I'm still frustrated with myself. College is a unique opportunity that you probably won't get again. Study what you like. Worry about a job later. (PS-with a degree in women's studies I'm sure you could teach in high school or junior college, or go to graduate school in a number of subjects, or go into any of various social-services careers...so don't sweat that.)

My 2 cents.
#4 Old 11-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

i agree with ludwig...
#5 Old 11-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Beginner

Thank you! I really needed to hear that. I honestly could care less if I continued to make what I make now for the rest of my life as long as I could honestly say without a moment's hesitation that I'm *happy*. My dad made pretty decent money when I was growing up but I have always remembered him coming home with a weak smile of frustration, stress, sadness, and defeat and slumping over in his chair to which TV until he fell asleep in the chair. Sometimes he is to go in on his days off for over 12 hours (he's getting older and this is no easy feat) and I can't say as thought he enjoys that 12 hours of overtime pay anymore than a day of relaxation with the family. Maybe it's just me...money is so overrated
#6 Old 11-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. I dropped my computer science/math double major for a BA in international relations (just for Tame: aka, Peace Studies ). I haven't regretted it since. I minored in comparative literature with a heavy bent on women's lit, and loved that as well. And now i work in sales for a software company.

My husband majored in political science and works in IT sales.

My best friend majored in religious studies and minored in women's studies and ended up as a technical writer.

My cousin majored in math and works for the conservation corps in montana, helping manage the state parks.

My point is... you just don't know where you're going to end up. You're not dying to become an accountant, so change your major to something that you enjoy. Get a well-rounded education. Take a computer class. Take a foreign relations class. Take a lit class, a geography class, a religion class.... Even if they don't take you anywhere, you'll at least probably end up really good at trivia.

And if you do major in women's studies, it's not a "teaching-career-only" type of degree. You could do all sorts of things. Majoring in liberal arts helps you think critically, enhance your creative skills, improves your writing, etc etc... all of these skills are very, very transferrable to most anything these days...

amy
#7 Old 11-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

Sexual assault crisis counselor?

Domestic violence counselor?

Working within a women's service organization?

Volunteer coordinator within similar social service agencies?

Don't stress about the job situation. It's gonna be stressful no matter what you study. Do what you love, love what you do and the rest will follow.
#8 Old 11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've found that you really can't do anything with a bachelors of arts degree. Its all about higher higher education, so do what you enjoy!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

hey that's not true rc... didn't you read my post above? unless we're all "not doing anything"

A liberal arts degree is good for developing generalized and broad skills sets that open hundreds of doors for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page