riding the bus is crazy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I really missed VB...

I just got to LA after 2.5 days on the bus clear across the USA. It was quite an adventure.

I'm glad I packed veggie sandwiches, because there was VERY little for me to eat at the places we stopped. I even got real bacon bits on a garden salad once! who does that??

Americans, do you recycle? I have not seen one single recycle bin. However, I saw tons and tons of American flags, more than we'd have of Canadian flags here. I was disappointed not to see one single Canadian flag though.

So I am in LA, and I'll keep you posted on the veg*n restaurants I try out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2003, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by superjane

I was disappointed not to see one single Canadian flag though.

I'm just curious.. but why would you expect to see Canadian flags in the US?
#3 Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

in North Dakota at least. We're their neighbours, and we fly American flags beside our Canadian ones here (businesses more than homes).
#4 Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, ok... I see. We fly a few US flags here as well on the East coast of Canada.

Just pure speculation, but it "may" be in part due to some tension among the two countries these days over our lack of support for the US action in Iraq.

But, in my experience... most of the US is simply patrotic to their own country and its something I've always noticed and respected when visiting there.
#5 Old 05-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I really missed VB...

I just got to LA after 2.5 days on the bus clear across the USA. It was quite an adventure.

I'm glad I packed veggie sandwiches, because there was VERY little for me to eat at the places we stopped. I even got real bacon bits on a garden salad once! who does that??

Americans, do you recycle? I have not seen one single recycle bin. However, I saw tons and tons of American flags, more than we'd have of Canadian flags here. I was disappointed not to see one single Canadian flag though.

So I am in LA, and I'll keep you posted on the veg*n restaurants I try out.

Welcome. Let me know if you need restaurant companionship or information, and/or if you plan on going to Universal Studios, where work as of today.

epski

@

pacbell

.net
#6 Old 05-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

You're in LA and you haven't visited *me* yet?!

Umm.. my whole town has a major recycling program. Big purple bins & everything. It hasn't gotten to LA proper yet, though. Who knows if it ever will.

And I don't have a Canadian flag, but my old roommate did on his door. I do have a Scottish flag in my office, though.

Hope you're enjoying your stay.

Mskedi
#7 Old 05-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

hehe. Yes Americans recycle. And yes we fly Canadian flags. In fact, I have one in my living room....of course I was born there, so maybe thats different. But there are a few businesses around that fly them too.

How long are you in LA for? I hope you have a great time. There is tons of things to do there from the beach to the mountains to shopping if you are into that to tons more.
#8 Old 05-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

superjane, did you go by greyhound or some other company? I'm scared of greyhound... LOL And I'm travelling on them in June...
#9 Old 05-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

you are the coolest. i got scared riding it from eugene oregon to seattle. i cant imagine the whole country.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#10 Old 05-06-2003, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Why did you get scared? Why? *nervous*
#11 Old 05-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

You think that's scary? Try hitch-hiking or tramping... That's roughing it.
#12 Old 05-06-2003, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

the ppl on the bus. there were many wierdos on the bus. they would glare and then come and sit next to me and ask wierd q's. i dont really like confrontation so i would try to just be nice (not too bright back then). then at the stops one guy followed me and offered me cookies that his mom made him which was a nice gesture but a bit creepy too. stuff like that.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#13 Old 05-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

eesh. no way. have you hitched before???! i have taken offered rides back in my late teens when my car would brake down and i got sick of walking. luckily nothing bad ever came of it but i cant imagine that or hitching now. yeah. that would be scary.

#14 Old 05-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't, but I had a friend in college who would go up to Alaska to work at the fisheries every summer, and he hitched and caught trains (hobo-style) all the way up from L.A.

Had a Jack London lifestyle. Reminds me how rooted to expectations I am from time to time. I always romanticized about joining him just for the experience, but I was too afraid of the impact such a disappearance would have on the life I'd established for myself at school (my extra-curricular activities kept me very busy all year-round).
#15 Old 05-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I never really understood that about you yan . . . (backspace backspace backspace)(happy?) americans. Whats with all the flags? I dont own any, not even an Aus one. hmmm, I did make a point to get one a while ago . . . but it never happened. bugger. maybe next pay.
#16 Old 05-06-2003, 08:51 AM

I don't have any flags either, though someone gave me a mailbox that said "bonjour" and some yahoo knocked it off of the post. Some people take their senseless hate too far!
#17 Old 05-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

is that what is call a hint?
#18 Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Banned

I've seen a lot of people wearing clothes with the US flag on it here in this country. But sticking to the topic.....

I was on a suburban train once, and there was a woman across from me, asleep on the seat. Suddenly she got up, walked to the end of the train carriage (a few metres away from where I was sitting) and dropped her pants to start defecating.

Needless to say, I was gone in a flash.

Here where I live hitch-hiking is common, due to lack of public transport. I've done it often (I've even had the Police give me a lift), and I've picked up plenty of hitch-hikers..... some guys I kept seeing the same time each week and giving them a ride (they were always drunk, too).

I've become a lot more hesitant about picking people up, but not about sticking my thumb out (one time I was walking in temperatures of 115+ but no-one would stop..... finally someone did as I was about to pass out (I was making my way to a battery Hen protest and was gonna get to it even if it killed me)).
#19 Old 05-06-2003, 12:04 PM

i remember when i worked at Mohawk truck wash, i always told my boss he shoudl take down the american flag we have out front. maily because they dont have any of our flags flying up high on there posts. i never understood why we should give a **** about there flags when they dont even have any of ours. i have never seen a canadian flag in the states, and thats something that irks me. then again this was 2.5 years ago, and maby i have changed and maby i havent
#20 Old 05-06-2003, 12:10 PM

I'm curious. Why would it irk you that establishments wouldn't fly a Canadian flag if they are located in America? For what purpose would they fly a Canadian flag? I mean, I can see flying a Canadian flag in Canada and an American flag in America, but I wouldn't expect a Canadian to fly an American flag or vice-versa.
#21 Old 05-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a French flag, a Scottish flag, and a UK flag in my home, but not an American flag.
#22 Old 05-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I'm curious. Why would it irk you that establishments wouldn't fly a Canadian flag if they are located in America? For what purpose would they fly a Canadian flag? I mean, I can see flying a Canadian flag in Canada and an American flag in America, but I wouldn't expect a Canadian to fly an American flag or vice-versa.

I absolutely agree here. Having said that... the reason I think many Canadians see US flags on establishments here is because of tourism dollars from the USA. They want to attract the US tourist and their valuable US dollar. By having an American flag flying, it is a recognizable symbol to a US Tourist.

In the US, our Canadian dollar is not in demand, and for all intents and purposes, is entirely useless. As such, there is really nothing for US establishments to gain by flying any other flag but a US Flag.

It''s not like back in the 70's when our dollar was stronger than the US dollar and things were different.
#23 Old 05-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a Cali flag on my wall.

I would take the bus home and back to school most breaks ( I live near SF and went to school in Oregon). The trip was about 12 hours so I'd stay up really late the night before then just sleep and listen to music with my headphones the whole trip. it kept people from bothering me.
#24 Old 05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends on where you go in the U.S. I've been to several colleges and universities in the U.S. and they try to fly flags from all of the nations their students are from. Some businesses will fly other nation's flags. For the most part, though, other nations flags aren't flown in the U.S. I wouldn't expect to go to Canada, the U.K. or wherever and see the U.S. flag unless I was at an American embassy or something.
#25 Old 05-06-2003, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

I absolutely agree here. Having said that... the reason I think many Canadians see US flags on establishments here is because of tourism dollars from the USA. They want to attract the US tourist and their valuable US dollar. By having an American flag flying, it is a recognizable symbol to a US Tourist.

In the US, our Canadian dollar is not in demand, and for all intents and purposes, is entirely useless. As such, there is really nothing for US establishments to gain by flying any other flag but a US Flag.

It''s not like back in the 70's when our dollar was stronger than the US dollar and things were different.

Thanks. I didn't realize that American flags are displayed in Canada. I haven't visited Canada in a very very long time.
#26 Old 05-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I took Greyhound and realized that bus stations are totally not organized. We got held up for 5 hours in the middle of the night in Omaha, Nebraska and ended up taking a different route.

At one point, a bunch of people from the ghetto in Atlanta were on our bus rapping very loudly and this one guy was saying he was shot in the back. At the same time, the drunk trashy lady in front of us was talking about her time spent in jail. There were also rats on our bus (a girl's theraputic pets because "she couldn't make friends at school".)

Canada and the US are the biggest trading partners in the world and share the world's longest undefended border. We are neighbours and so of course we fly US flags in Canada. I know that the northern states are pissed off at us because we didn't participate in the killing part of the war, even though we will now help with the clean-up. Everything says "God Bless America". When did America become 100% christian??

I was in a gas station in SD and this fat, hairy, plaid wearing redneck was looking at the newspaper. This is what he said, "Hey, Bush isn't letting France and Germany help with the clean-up in Iraq. Good, those *******s don't deserve to help. I'm glad our country is run by someone who's got something between his legs." At this point I was very proud to be wearing my "Canadians kick ass" t-shirt.
#27 Old 05-06-2003, 01:51 PM

Quote:

We are neighbours and so of course we fly US flags in Canada.

Actually, I subscribe more to the reason that Robert gave. I believe the reason Canada flys the American flag is for monitary reasons rather that 'being neighborly'. Point in fact is that I haven't seen the Canadian flag flown in America and I'm only about a 2 hour drive from the border.

People take buses because they don't have cars or for whatever reason choose not to drive them. So, there are going to be more people taking the bus versus, let's say an airplane, who the majority would consider undesirable (for lack of a better word). Of course you'll run in to some very interesting, obnoxious, and sometimes rude people who don't really give a rat's -ss what the general population think of them taking the bus. That's not to say that all people that take the bus are like that.
#28 Old 05-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Ruthie, I should mention that one other reason may be the fact that so many US citizens buy property and live here during certain times of the year. I know here in Northern Nova Scotia... this place is packed with US folks here during summer months, many of whom own places here.

Along those same lines... a lot of Canadian Seniors buy property or some sort of residence in Florida, and many of these people fly Canadian flags alongside their US counterparts.

In the US... I've seen many companies fly both an American and Canadian flag... particularly places like truck stops along bordering towns. It, again in my opinion, comes down to mainly financial reasons. The truck stops are competing for every driver's dollar. If they can come across as Cndn driver friendly by flying a neighbouring country's flag... more Cndn drivers are likely to stop and buy fuel there, etc. To me its nothing but smart business on both sides of border towns.
#29 Old 05-06-2003, 02:04 PM

It must be pretty there in Northern Nova Scotia to attract so many people. I've always wanted to go camping in Canada. There and northern Maine....I would probably tend to stay away from the touristy parts. Maybe that's why I don't notice the flag thing. Anyhow, thanks for the info Robert.
#30 Old 05-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, Canadians are not as money oriented as the USA. Some yes, but we really honestly like to be friendly with the US. It is funny though, Canadians now (because of the war fiasco) really think that Americans hate us. We are quite disturbed by this thought. Everyone told me to be careful and to not let anyone know I was Canadian on this trip because they thought I'd get beat up. I'm not too concerned. I know that Americans won't hate me because I'm Canadian. A lot of our fears come from the over-sensational media.

yes, most people who take the bus take it because they have to, not because they want to. No one was mean to us, but you really get to meet a lot of unique people on the bus as opposed to an airplane where people don't socialize with others. I thought it was cool.

btw, the US is very dependant on Canada- eg. Hydro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page