Your ol' pal Maxie-P needs some advice! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Banned

Okay, how pissed off should I be?

For Christmas/birthday, I bought my mom a domain name and hosting for a web site that she asked me to make for her back when I was home for Thanksgiving. She does cat rescue/adoption and wants a website about that and for resources about spay/neutering.

First off, she gets all pissy when I explain to her, as nice as I can, that it's not something that you can do without some special programs and skills. She thinks that now she can use email that she's on top of the technology mountain.

So then a couple of days ago when the domain is activated, I send her an email birthday card with the url in it. Today, I get an email about how some volunteer she worked with had finished her website at some free hosting site and it looks like crap. This girl did it for the learning-experience, mostly.

Now, I don't car a damn what the site looks like or anything, but my mom's been nagging me on this and NEVER mentioned this girl's project. So I've got near-on $100 down the tube on buying the doman and hosting for nothing. The email said that she thinks she "underestimated" what it took to make a web site but really she just doesn't ****ing listen when I tell her what I know to be true and correct.

I have half a mind to tell my mom she can shove the whole website up her fat ass.

Or should I just let it slide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Banned

so..you and your mom are pretty close huh?

all i suggest is that you stop taling about maxi pads FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! (and Pan).

in other words, jill has nothing significant to say relating to this particular matter.
#3 Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Buy her a book on website design and be done with it.
#4 Old 01-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Suggest she gives the website to another cat rescue lady who is more together?
#5 Old 01-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Avalon

Buy her a book on website design and be done with it.

Yeah, it was a gift, you can't be mad at her for what she does or doesn't do with it. and if she turns down your help, that oh well, don't worry about it. you made a nice gesture, that's all you can do. Partly just a case of mismatched expectations or communication.
#6 Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 PM

I agree with everybody (except for Jill who had nothing significant to say about this matter).
#7 Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkified

all i suggest is that you stop taling about maxi pads FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! (and Pan).

It took me almost a full 24 hours to figure out what the hell you're talkking about.

Thanks everyone. Even you, Jill, because yeah....

I didn't think about it from the whole gift-thing. I mean, I don't like half the **** I get from mom for Christmas but I still appreciate that she tries. But the thing is, I would NEVER have spent this much money on another gift.

Oh well. Besides, if the Bible has taught us anything (and it hasn't) it's that girls should stick to girl sports. Like mud-wrestling and foxy-boxing and such-n-such.
#8 Old 01-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

what about naked sparring? is that considered a girly sport?
#9 Old 01-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkified

what about naked sparring? is that considered a girly sport?

Of course it is. Well, it's a guy sport, too, but for us it's really just a spectator-sport type of thing.
#10 Old 01-08-2003, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

Oh well. Besides, if the Bible has taught us anything (and it hasn't) it's that girls should stick to girl sports. Like mud-wrestling and foxy-boxing and such-n-such.

LMAO!

uhh well anyway i'd say wait a while and see if she changes her mind, or ask if she'd rather you try to get a refund and buy her something else instead. she'll probably realize how she's acting and feel bad and ask you to help her put the site together.

or all else fails, guilt her. like so. "well, geez, i just wanted to do something nice for you, i thought you'd like it, but i guess i was wrong, sorry, i'll never do it again *insert pouty face here*"

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#11 Old 01-08-2003, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

If her friend is hosting it on a free server, can't you talk to the friend and tell that person you've registered a domain for them and transfer it all over. How long is the hosting contract for? Is it a difficult server to use?

You kinda have to walk people through the process of building a website. Teach your mom how to do it, or do it yourself. It's not easy for most people.

If nothing else, you could resell the hosting package to someone else and then you're just out the $8 you paid for the domain name.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page