Veg-friendly places? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Apologies if this is a duplicate or posted in the wrong place.

I saw a thread like this on another veggie-board, but it didn't get a lot of responses and I'm scared to post there. ^^;;

I live in a suburb of Atlanta, and I'm finding myself dreaming of finding a new location. It's probably not really practical for me to move right now, but it's sort of a future goal for me.

In your opinion, what are the most veg-friendly places to live in North America?

I dream of living in a place that is veg-friendly, has an excellent public transit system so I can give up my car, has community colleges nearby, and doesn't have an impossibly high cost of living.

Realistically, I know that finding a place that meets ALL the criteria is probably impossible...but I would like to hear opinions!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2003, 09:47 PM

A friend of mine from Vancouver, BC is always telling me that he's surrounded by vegans and veggie eating establishments.
#3 Old 01-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I never saw as many veg*ns as there are here!! everywhere I go, there are vegan, vegetarians, raw-foodists, fruitarians, and a dozen other -arians all over the place. Lousy public transit, and a fairly high cost of living tho...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#4 Old 01-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

There are a number of good places in the greater SF bay area. Even places that aren't veg'an are pretty good at accomidating them.
#5 Old 01-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can't get to a liberal minded place like SF or Hawaii, etc., find a place that is at least ethnically eclectic. (not sure how Atlanta compares). I live in Cleveland, and there are tons of middle eastern, asian, and other ethnic places to eat. So fewer purely veg places but still lots of vegan food can be found.
#6 Old 01-07-2003, 01:18 PM

I actually visted Asheville for a long weekend, Funkified, just to eat at the Laughing Seed. Well, I read this awesome article in Vegetarian Times about Asheville, and since it was in driving distance...we made a long weeked of it. What a cozy and pretty place.

I love going through the quiz at www.findyourspot.com . While it doesn't really specify veg-friendliness, it does give you a glimpse at a few places that might meet your desires. Take a peek at it, ceryna.

I still can't seem to figure out where I want to settle. I've lived here (Fredericksburg, VA) for over three years now. It's okay, but it's realllllly growing. Like, serious development and traffic is becoming waaay too much for me. I'd prefer to not own a car at all.

I need a veg-friendly, progressive small-town with affordable housing on the east coast.
#7 Old 01-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

there are a few places in Southern Oregon too. I went to school there and there are a couple vegan friendly places there, in the main town plaza. The Greenleaf, which is nice because it has patio seating outside near the creek that runs through town and another veggie place nearby whose name I can't remember. There's also The Creek, a bar with live music almost every night and a great outdoor patio along the band of the creek for summer time.
#8 Old 01-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My town is famous--notorious--for its ribs and its football emphasis. Yeah, it's (my town), Ohio. The only restaurant listed as vegetarian in the phone book is (a restaurant_, which has repeatedly won the top awards at the annual Ribs Burnoff for their greasy, meaty, sloppy ribs. They do have some vegetarian selections, but their prices keep me away. Instead, I tend toward ethnic cuisines such as Indian, Middle Eastern, Mexican, and some Italian places.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 01-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the surveyon FindYourSpot, FD...it gave me some options to think about! ^_^

Atlanta is fairly veg-friendly, I guess...I had some awesome vegan food over the weekend, at Sam's Gourmet Vegetarian Paradise. There's also a decent number of Health Food Stores, and most of the grocery stores contain a "natural foods" section.

Thanks for the ideas and opinions!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#10 Old 01-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

if skylark wants some good vegan mexican food i know of 2 places here in san diego that serve excellent vegan mexican food.

san diego is very veg friendly, in Ocean Beach, where i live, there is a vegetarian co-op. no meat at all. mostly all the produce is organic. couple other restraurants around that label the food vegan or veg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page