To Cut or not to cut (my dreadlocks)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Beginner

Here is a not great, but okay, picture of my dreadlocks. When my boyfriend has more time to work on them, they look much better, but in general this is how they look.

I need advice on whether or not to cut them off. If I do, it will be sad for me. I had dreadlocks for 1 1/2 years previous to this time and cut them for reasons I can't explain (except for my brother was getting married, I was in the wedding, he hinted..). As soon as my hair grew out I had my boyfriend put my dreadlocks back in. I missed them so much! That was last September. It has been just over a year since I put them back in. Now I keep thinking maybe I should cut them off.

I sometimes feel like I am confined by one look, one style, b/c of the locks. They aren't long enough to pull back yet, they usually end up with a hair scarf or band of some kind. This is the extent of my hairdoing. I have tried so many styles in the past, and none of them make me happy. Most of the time, my dreads make me happy and comfortable, but when I get really down on myself, like I have been the past month, I start to wonder if they are pulling down my self-esteem.

Okay that is my jumbled respresentation of the question: Should I keep the dreads, or cut them off? I think I will add a poll, and see if I get responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you should because you might just miss them again, go back to them and do the whole thing all over. Let them grow a bit. Unless you really think you won't want them again anytime soon then you should cut em.
#3 Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 PM

They're hawt.
#4 Old 10-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Heart Beet

totally hot. keep them. if my hair would dread i would have them too.
#5 Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I would let them grow out. You will probably be happier with them when they are long, so its just gonna take a little patience.
#6 Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Beginner

dirtysole, I bet you could get your hair to dread if you tried. I am assuming you mean your hair is fine, thin, etc? Mine is very fine and it can work. The problem with fine hair dreaded is that often your roots need more attention than people with thicker, curlier hair because your hair doesn't keep knotting by itself.

I think if I remember though, you're vegan, so I am not sure what is out there for beeswax replacement. Someone I knew used glue, and that worked out for her, but I don't know if I could recommend it.
#7 Old 10-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Heart Beet

and a lot of glues are made with animal by products anyway... just the same, yes. my hair is very very fine. but there is a lot of it. as in, the individual strands are very fine but there are many. this is hard for some to wrap their minds arounf though. do you have any links that you would recomend on dreading fine hair? or the dreading process in general? i am very interested...
#8 Old 10-15-2004, 10:36 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
#9 Old 10-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

keep them! agh! don't cut them! they're fabulous! i love my dreadies; i couldn't imagine cutting them off and i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels that way about their dreads. you don't have to be confined to one look! i do plenty of fabulous things with mine.
#10 Old 10-16-2004, 12:02 AM

Cut them

But, there are threads about my feelings concerning dreadlocks
#11 Old 10-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Your dreads look really nice in your picture. I think you should keep them if they make you happy most of the time. I have the same conflict with my long hair because it tends to grow waves that cause my hair to stick out sideways naturally.
#12 Old 10-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

keep them! agh! don't cut them! they're fabulous! i love my dreadies; i couldn't imagine cutting them off and i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels that way about their dreads. you don't have to be confined to one look! i do plenty of fabulous things with mine.

Normally, this is how I feel too. People will ask me, so how long will you keep them, what will you do when you cut them? Usually I say I don't plan on cutting them unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances.

I think I do want to keep them. It is just the way I am feeling right now, so bad about myself, but I bet if I cut them I would feel way worse.
#13 Old 10-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If you cut them, won't you be left with very short hair? And won't be able to do much with styles anyway, until it grows out?

If I were you, I'd keep them till they grow longer before deciding to cut them. It sounds like once they grow a few inches, you'll be happier with them. Maybe you could find some pretty scarves and fun hats to make the growing out period more fun.
#14 Old 10-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I think they are totally cute. I was just talking to my daughter about dreads the other day as she's currently very much into me braiding her curly brown hair (many many many little braids), and i was explaining how she might someday want to think about dreads Course her hair would be more condusive to dreading.

Actually I think that length on your face looks quite cute. I don't know that I would grow them longer, but I certainly wouldn't cut them unless I was sure I wanted regular hair again.

B
#15 Old 10-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysole View Post

and a lot of glues are made with animal by products anyway... just the same, yes. my hair is very very fine. but there is a lot of it. as in, the individual strands are very fine but there are many. this is hard for some to wrap their minds arounf though. do you have any links that you would recomend on dreading fine hair? or the dreading process in general? i am very interested...

www.dreadlocks.com

www.dreadheadhq.com

www.knottyboy.com
#16 Old 10-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul_sky View Post

Normally, this is how I feel too. People will ask me, so how long will you keep them, what will you do when you cut them? Usually I say I don't plan on cutting them unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances.

I think I do want to keep them. It is just the way I am feeling right now, so bad about myself, but I bet if I cut them I would feel way worse.

Well maybe its time to explore why you're feeling bad. Are you bored with appearance? Did something in your life damage your self esteem? Is someone in your life making you feel bad? Cuz I doubt its just the dreadlocks...when I went through kind of a bad/depressed stage, I cut all my hair off. Well, you better believe it wasn't my long hair that was making me depressed- cutting it off was just a way to change myself, an attempt to reinvent for the better, break up motonony, change, ect.

I hope you get to feeling better.
#17 Old 10-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

keep them, they look really cute
#18 Old 10-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh...rainbowmoon. You certainly hit the nail on the head. I am NOTORIOUS for cutting my hair off when I'm feeling bad about myself. There are times it absolutely works at getting me out of a 'bad me' spot...and there are times (like ten or so years ago in San Francisco) when I have to take myself to a good salon to get hair repair done. Course I cut my own...that may be part of the problem. But in my head, there's always been no problem so big that a short haircut wouldn't fix. I've finally talked myself into (at 35) never cutting my own hair in the midst of depression.

B
#19 Old 10-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Baby, don't cut, rethink style. I have had my long hair cut very short, and I reallllllly hate it. Well, since I can't glue it back on, I am in a waiting game.

I now know just how close to white headed I am, and to my surprise I have less grey now than when I retired. It must have been the stress. I didn't know it could come back in dark after being white.

Just take it from me. Don't cut, redirect. With short, you have no options.
#20 Old 10-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

*whimpers* keep the scissors far far away
#21 Old 10-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

if you're gonna cut them, might aswell take a knife and cut me

seriously, don't !

just try to put some work in it, or make someone else do it for you ( because they love you and they just can't say no)

i'm so excited about getting mine this winter, but afraid they will look like crap b/c my hair isn't that long ( 8 inches )... but i want them so much i can't wait long enough for my hair to grow out any more.

just roll them while working on your physics project
#22 Old 10-16-2004, 11:32 PM

They're cute. Keep them.
#23 Old 10-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i think they would look even better if you kept them..and let them grow longer..the style really suits you..

rhiannon..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page