brain damaged birds - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

There is a robin outside my window that I think is seriously demented. I sleep in the basement and have a small window in the room, and early this morning I was awakened by a 'thud' every 10 seconds. It turned out to be a robin that kept running into my window. It didn't get the hint that it was a solid. So I put a book in the window and it left, but then I heard it doing the same thing at the window in the other room! over and over and over! It would stand about 2 feet away for a few seconds, then turn around and ram right into the window. I'd bang on the window to scare it away, then it would come back.

I've heard other people say they've had birds do this. Is it common or is there something wrong with this bird? It sure is annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

i think maybe it's just not very bright and sees it's own reflection and thinks it's another robin. wierd

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 05-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

This is a very common problem. It happens all the time. They see their reflection, and try to drive this 'other' bird away. It not that they are dim, I think it has more to do with the season (breed/def. my land/mate ect.) sort of shoot now talk later.
#4 Old 05-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd heard of birds doing this, but I really am not an expert in animal psychology, so I can't help you. I'm sorry! I'm sure there's an animal psychologist on the web somewhere who could comment.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 05-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes they don't realize there is a solid piece there and attempt to get through. Could there be something the bird sees through the window? Is there something it could be attracted to in the house? Sometimes another bird or a picture will attract a bird, especially during springtime. Birds also are attracted to colors like red.

My pet bird sits with me when I go through magazines and he reacts to pictures, lol!
#6 Old 05-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Banned

There's a Magpie that did that all the time against a particular window here a while back.... and it's returned this year (or there are a few that do it). No matter how much I scare it off it'll eventually return.

There are ways to keep birds away from windows.... it involves wires somehow, so they are scared away.

One bird flew into a window here and was killed instantly, while another was injured.... I took it around the corner to the bird wildlife lady who looks after injured wild birds, but it died overnight.
#7 Old 05-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

we put CD's in our big windows to reflect light, so birds never run into our big windows. What surprised me is that this bird this morning didn't learn! It probably did see it's reflection and tried to attack, but seriously, it kept doing it, every few seconds, over and over. I thought birds were smarter than that.
#8 Old 05-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

The bird probably sees his reflection. Seeing a quite "studly" bird of equal masculinity to his fine self, he is threatened and decides to take on this imposter. He is quite alarmed that the opponent matches his repetoire of bird karate moves exactly but continues to assault his opponent.

Ok , seriously ... hmmm, you could try getting a plastic Owl or hawk replica and putting that outside the window on the ground (or even inside the window maybe). They can keep birds from approaching ... probably would work with robins. That's just a hunch.

For your sake and the bird's , I hope you find a solution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page