Surprise CO2 rise may speed up global warming - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=570734

The rate at which global warming gases are accumulating in the atmosphere has taken a sharp leap upwards, leading to fears that the devastating effects of climate change may hit the world even sooner than has been predicted.

Atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide (CO2 ), the principal greenhouse gas, have made a sudden jump that cannot be explained by any corresponding jump in terrestrial emissions of CO2 from power stations and motor vehicles - because there has been none.

Some scientists think instead that the abrupt speed-up may be evidence of the long-feared climate change "feedback" mechanism, by which global warming causes alterations to the earth's natural systems and then, in turn, causes the warming to increase even more rapidly than before.

Such a development would mean the worldwide droughts, agricultural failure, sea-level rise, increased weather turbulence and flooding all predicted as consequences of climate change would arrive on much shorter time-scales than present scenarios suggest, and the world would have much less time to co-ordinate its response.

Only last month, Tony Blair expressed anxiety that global warming's dire effects would arrive not just in his children's lifetime, but in his own, and would "radically alter human existence".

more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya don't say?

Geez, I remember studying this possible effect in Jr. High Earth Science.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 10-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm....global warming.... after just experiencing the coldest winter, spring, and summer on record, I'm becoming a little skeptical... <we wear toques all year round now.
#4 Old 10-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjane View Post

hmmm....global warming.... after just experiencing the coldest winter, spring, and summer on record, I'm becoming a little skeptical... <we wear toques all year round now.

It's theorized that global warming will halt the flow of water from the equator to the north atlantic, causing a radical drop in average temperature to the NE states and to Britain.
#5 Old 10-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm didn't I just see this movie-?..Yup, Day after tomorrow or somethin' like that..Night all-!........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page